A Boot Tip

Mike Belt

In the mornings when I go in it's usually cold enough that my feet don't sweat. Coming out it's warmer and I may do some scouting as well so they do. I used to have to put these same wet boots on the next morning. That makes for some cold feet even when you have quality boots. Then I got me a boot warmer. Over night they'll dry all the moisture from your boots and you start off nice and dry again. I think they run about $29.99 and they'll be one of the best hunting investments you'll ever make.

scn

They make a surprising amount of difference and are certainly one of the best (and cheapest) investments you can make for staying warm. On our late season IL hunts everybody in camp will usually have one going.

With the wader extensions, they also make a world of difference in how your neoprene chest waders feel when you put them on in the morning for the duck hunters in our crowd.

smyrnagc

Mike Belt said:
In the mornings when I go in it's usually cold enough that my feet don't sweat. Coming out it's warmer and I may do some scouting as well so they do. I used to have to put these same wet boots on the next morning. That makes for some cold feet even when you have quality boots. Then I got me a boot warmer. Over night they'll dry all the moisture from your boots and you start off nice and dry again. I think they run about $29.99 and they'll be one of the best hunting investments you'll ever make.

Can you post a link to the warmer that you are using?

Thanks

Bottom Hunter

thanks for the tip......I normally take my boots off, throw them in the truck and don't think about them again until I put them on again......I'll try this...thanks again!

How many here wear two layers of socks?

scn

Bottom Hunter said:
thanks for the tip......I normally take my boots off, throw them in the truck and don't think about them again until I put them on again......I'll try this...thanks again!

That involves a second tip. Trying to wear two pairs of socks in a pair of boots bought using your normal shoe size can be counterproductive for staying warm. It can get too tight and restrict circulation, causing your feet to feel really cold.

If affordable, it really helps to have a "cold weather" pair of boots a full size larger than you normally buy. That way you can add a second pair of socks and still have plenty of wiggle room. And, in doing that, I haven't had any walking problems with the larger size. For me, it really makes a difference for those cold morning hunts.

I alternated between two pair of Mucks on my recent trip north, using the large size in the mornings, and my normal boot size in the evenings. That also really helped in keeping them dry where there was very minimal drying time required on the boot dryer.

For me, cold feet have always been the chink in my armor on staying warm and in the tree. I don't have much of a problem in dressing appropriately to keep the rest of me warm. But, cold feet have cut short some hunts. Since I made some changes, the foot deal has become much better. When totalled in to the cost of bows, guns, and gas to get there, the second pair of larger boots is minimal in comparison.

H Moody

I have not tried this yet but a guy told me at the end of last season to buy the anti-perspirant in a spray can and spray it on your feet before putting your socks on. He said the anti-perspirant would keep your feet from sweating thus keeping your feet warmer. Sounds like its worth trying...

thetoolman

H Moody said:
I have not tried this yet but a guy told me at the end of last season to buy the anti-perspirant in a spray can and spray it on your feet before putting your socks on. He said the anti-perspirant would keep your feet from sweating thus keeping your feet warmer. Sounds like its worth trying...

Sounds logical, but I have tried it and it doesn't help me any. Maybe your results will be different.

JGreg

Peer dryers are definitely worth the money. I love mine! I duck hunt about 30 days a year and never put on wet waders thanks to them, and they definitely help with the stinch of wet waders.

Bottom Hunter

scn said:
Bottom Hunter said:

That involves a second tip. Trying to wear two pairs of socks in a pair of boots bought using your normal shoe size can be counterproductive for staying warm. It can get too tight and restrict circulation, causing your feet to feel really cold.

If affordable, it really helps to have a "cold weather" pair of boots a full size larger than you normally buy. That way you can add a second pair of socks and still have plenty of wiggle room. And, in doing that, I haven't had any walking problems with the larger size. For me, it really makes a difference for those cold morning hunts.

I alternated between two pair of Mucks on my recent trip north, using the large size in the mornings, and my normal boot size in the evenings. That also really helped in keeping them dry where there was very minimal drying time required on the boot dryer.

For me, cold feet have always been the chink in my armor on staying warm and in the tree. I don't have much of a problem in dressing appropriately to keep the rest of me warm. But, cold feet have cut short some hunts. Since I made some changes, the foot deal has become much better. When totalled in to the cost of bows, guns, and gas to get there, the second pair of larger boots is minimal in comparison.

My cold weather boots are large enough that i can move my toes around with ease and even feel space on each side and the top....a full size larger than normal. I was speaking more of liner socks than two heavy socks...

thanks

Mike Belt

You can buy the "wicker" socks that are as thin as paper and they also help to wick the moisture away from your feet. That way 2 pair of socks are no problem irregardless of boot size.

scn

Mike Belt said:
You can buy the "wicker" socks that are as thin as paper and they also help to wick the moisture away from your feet. That way 2 pair of socks are no problem irregardless of boot size.

I have those, Mike. I still find the larger size to be warmer.

plinker22

scn said:
Mike Belt said:

I have those, Mike. I still find the larger size to be warmer.

I hear these "Wicker Socks" mentioned regularly, yet I never seem to find them in any stores. What gives? Recommendations?

tiecampdeerslayer

Try this as well, this works for me. Wear a wicking pair of thin socks, your normal size boots (preferably 600 gram thinsulate goretex boot), and when you arrive at your stand you'll slip on a pair of boot blankets....

Latest posts