A Bad Experience with Tennessee Wildlife Enforcement.

JCDEERMAN

Lost 3 spots in the last 6 years…every time a 150"+ hit the dirt we were shown the front gate lol
That's sad. Been there also - my dad and I got kicked off a lease years ago because of this. For 2 years in a row, we each had killed several nice deer while no one else had. Couldn't get a reply at lease renewal time that 3rd year.

BigAl

I've told my neighbor he is under no circumstance to cross the fence on my property without coming to see me first. Why? He has been known to hunt at night, over corn, in a CWD county.
I think there are differences here on the difference between crossing over private property lines and state land lines. Either way, The hunter did the right thing. The rules are in place for a reason, and he followed them.

Andy S.

I have a question of clarification: take your hunter hat off, put your lawyer hat on to answer this question. Was the hunter "totally not allowed" on the State Park, or was he not allowed on State Park to "retrieve the animal"? Two totally different questions. In other words, what law would he have been breaking if he told the Ranger "I want to walk (without weapon of course) over there and look at that pretty tree on this State Park, and just happened to go the way the buck ran? I realize he could not legally retrieve it (per the Park Ranger he dealt with), but could he have at least walked over there, looked at the buck and possibly took a photo of it? Food for thought.

Madbowh

100 yards (300 feet) is impressive, and unrealistic for hunters on a lot of small cut up irregular tracts. Staying 100 yards off the line deems a 10 acre perfectly square tract (660' x 660') unhuntable, except for the 60' x 60' centroid dead center.
Yea completely agree, 100 yards is not reasonable on a lot of properties. I think the smallest I've hunted in the past few years is about 500 acres

Mr.x

Dang right. He did it right the first time and asked permission. 2nd time I wouldn't make the first phone call and go retrieve my buck.
Recently, a situation that occurred last season was brought to my attention when a YouTube video dropped last week. Idk how this floated under my radar given I follow the group pretty regularly. I just have to say this a sad deal when the guys doing things right are rewarded with a 'tough ****' response from a publicly paid employee on publicly paid ground in regards to what would have been an outdoorsmans biggest accomplishment to date. Anyone hear about this story?

View attachment 83440View attachment 83441
I'm a minister and a hunter. I've taught my children and others that I've taken to the woods that we always respect God's creatures. The Word Of God tells us the the Almighty knows when a sparrow falls from the sky, so we only shoot what we're planning to consume or to protect our property. It's sad that someone gets so full of "Pride in their power" that they ruin a joyous event with blatant disrespect for both man and Gods creation. Our out of state hunters pay good money and if following the guidelines should be treated with courtesy and respect! I don't post often at all but I hate an animal being wasted!

Omega

I don't know that I agree totally with you on this one Mega. I completely understand your reasoning, and I know I never want to waste an animal, but what happens when you have a anti hunter neighbor for instance? Not everyone has the means to own or hunt large tracts of land. I don't think that a hardworking person, who has purchased their land, which is more than likely a smaller parcel, should be forced to not hunt their land because of the neighbors disposition. Do I think that just because I am a hunter and the neighbor might not be that I have a right to trespass on their land just to retrieve my deer? No I don't. The anti hunter worked and paid for his land the same as the hunter who shot the deer. I believe that most people, like yourself, are willing to allow the retrieval of a deer if it is done the right way. However there will always be someone who stands on the opposite side of the isle from you and I think that's just part of life. I'm also not a fan of government interference in civil aspects so I'm hesitant to even suggest a change to our laws. I do know that there are other states who allow retrieval of game across boundary lines regardless of having permission from the landowner. I have no experience in these states that allow this but I would be interested to hear from hunters and landowners to get their take on how well that has or has not worked.
I know what you are saying but that is just something that all hunters have to take into consideration. My worry is the baiting issue, being such a small plot of land, any anti-hunting neighbor cold easily put much if not all of my property off limits to hunting. Luckily the rules have changed a bit, and while not perfect, a neighbor would have to place the bait real close to their property line. Currently there is no issue, but that can change real fast, there have been at least 4 people on my right, though all have been if not friendly to hunting at least not anti-hunting.
No person may hunt wildlife while using bait or may hunt any baited area where he or she knows or reasonably should have known that the area is or has been baited. Shooting into or entering into "a baited area" for the purpose of hunting is prohibited. "A baited area" is defined as a 250-yard radius of the placement of the bait. "A baited area" will no longer be considered to be baited 10 days after all bait has been removed.
---TWRA---​

Jcalder

If you come to me and ask i will gladly go help you get your deer. If you dont i will gladly hold you until you are arrested and prosecuted for trespassing and will gladly take a day off work to see you in court!
Holding someone against their will is kidnapping and has much more serious consequences than the trespassing charge itself.

Omega

That I think should always be the question, in my experience most of my deer don't go more than 100 yards been a long time since I had one go more than that until I just said it now it'll probably happen. I guess for me I seem to stay about 100 yards from lines. I do try to keep my daughter a little more than that. Even hit one in the neck 2 years ago just over 30 years figure it get him or clean miss, he only went 75 yards
I hunt about center of my property, give or take a few yards, and while most of the deer I have taken are DRT, a few have gone across to the neighbors, one went through two neighbor's properties, though it ran less than 100 yards due to how the corners connect. What helps me is the terrain, it funnels deer right through my place and most times, if they run, they run deeper toward my land.

rem270

I'm a minister and a hunter. I've taught my children and others that I've taken to the woods that we always respect God's creatures. The Word Of God tells us the the Almighty knows when a sparrow falls from the sky, so we only shoot what we're planning to consume or to protect our property. It's sad that someone gets so full of "Pride in their power" that they ruin a joyous event with blatant disrespect for both man and Gods creation. Our out of state hunters pay good money and if following the guidelines should be treated with courtesy and respect! I don't post often at all but I hate an animal being wasted!
Very good post. I made my claim as its state ground that the deer ran on. I honestly wouldn't feel bad about going and retrieving it even if I'm not supposed to because it's not really privately owned. I am blessed to have good neighbors that we have a mutual understanding to retrieve deer. It all started one year when I heard a shot and knew from the shot it was towards my property. I got down and the guy was tracking it on my property about 50 yards in at the time. His first comment was "I swear I didn't shoot this on your property". I quickly let him know that I know he didn't and that he was fine to track it. It maybe ran 75 yards on my property. He actually shot it 384 yards across an open field. We came to an agreement that day to go after anything that crosses the line. He's had to one more time since then and we done it once 2 years ago when a kid gut shot a doe and we tracked it forever and finally found it. I would hate to know I killed a deer and couldn't go retrieve it.

JArender

That sucks that a guy did everything right and a park ranger can keep him off the land.

I had a property that boardered a anti hunter once. I was told by the guys that was hunting my property that if I shot s deer and it crossed the fence i'd best wait until night time to go get it because the anti hunter would not allow me to go over the fence.

Well when I buy a new property one of the first things I do is knock on neighbors doors. When going to this anti hunters home I treated them like I do everyone else. I introduced myself, I explained that hunting was a passion of mine and that I took boundaries very seriously. And I explained sometimes regardless of how or where a deer is shot they just run. I then asked if I could text or call if one ever crossed the fence to retrieve it. And that i'd never cross without their permission. They told me that would be ok. They went on to tell me that the reason they are anti hunters is because the guys that were hunting my property would cut their fences and tell the landowner it must have been a trespasser. They said they had caught them on trail cameras and had just got the sheriff involved when I bought the place. They said they drank beer and threw cans across the line and rode 4wheelers through the corner of her property to keep from having to open the gate and when they blocked that route they just went around it.

so not all anti hunters are truly anti hunters our actions just turn them that way. I never had a bit of problems with them.

My point is the law is the law. I respect deer and wildlife to it's fullest. But I respect landowners too! In this case that is state land and i'd have had a hard time not just going over and got my deer. I've been hunting like most on here for a bunch of years. But i'm not trespassing if I can't get permission on private. And I hunt property boundaries!

Antler Daddy

In this cancel culture environment, the ranger is probably lucky some leftie deermunist has not published his name, home address, and where his kids go to school.

However, this whole scenario is just hogwash. The guy or gal did not think beyond their emotions or authority at the time. When game wardens call, you might want to at least offer retrieval if the warden or the ranger accompanied the hunter.

I would like to see this regulation that says I can't walk onto a state park without a bow when it's open to public.

If your dog was injured and ran onto the park, would they let you retrieve it? What about your cow or horse? Doesn't the state own the deer until the hunter legal tags and takes possession?

Hookem

I applaud this hunter for doing the legal thing. While it did not work out, hopefully it will result in some changed laws.

I have 60 acres I sacrifice to pay for every month and it is next to thousands of acres of woods. I have it all posted which includes my name and phone number and will prosecute anyone on my land without permission. If anyone calls to retrieve a deer they are welcome to go get it. If they don't call and I catch them, TWRA will deal with them. Just do as the law requires and usually things will work out in your favor. Be stupid and do your own thing and it will eventually bite you.

budro2

A good example of why not to hunt property lines.
So where does it end ?
it's not like he was on the line , with that mentality if you had 10 ax that joined the park , you are saying you would not hunt ?

I don't like when people set on the line and look at my prop but if they hunting theirs , it should not be an issue

Jcalder

So where does it end ?
it's not like he was on the line , with that mentality if you had 10 ax that joined the park , you are saying you would not hunt ?

I don't like when people set on the line and look at my prop but if they hunting theirs , it should not be an issue
Was the deer 40 yards into the gov land or was he 40 yards from gov land. Regardless how any of us feels the officer followed the law

Latest posts