Interactions with 2 Wildlife Officers Recently

DeerCamp

Recently, I had an interaction with 2 of TWRA's officers.

We were fishing at a local lake, and I saw them boating their way towards us near dusk. We ending up talking for almost 20 minutes, swapping hunting stories, sharing some local tips and just really enjoyed chatting with them. In the end, they could have written my buddy a ticket (even though the violation wasn't intentional) but they helped him correct the issue instead.

It left me thinking that every interaction I've had with TWRA (minus one old crabby guy at a check-in back in the day) has been overtly positive.

I think these guys (and gals) do a near-thankless job, probably don't get paid enough and put themselves in potentially dangerous situations frequently.

I would just like to post a public appreciation for the work they do.

P.S. - if we could speed up the Quota draw process, that would be swell.

mike243

All of my run ins with them have been fine except 1 time hunting I think Willamette property, We had the permits but flagged him down and asked why caution tape and signs were all over the roads at the properties, he said it was disputed boundary's and If we parked there and went in he would write us a ticket, the properties were marked with the signs but locals had something on him I reckon, finally found a couple places that we could hunt and that MF left rule book guides for hunting that property 2 more times, I ran into him and flagged him down and asked why he did that, said it was to make sure I understood the rules. never been back. that was off the Bucksnort exit a long time ago.

Omega

I have had many interactions with them, and except for once, even when I had been written up, the interactions were relatively pleasant. The one unpleasant experience I will place that into the category of a bad egg, afterwards I found out he was pretty well known for being an ass. But I think if you just treat them as people that are just doing their jobs most interactions will be pleasant enough.

mike243

I been cked fishing more times than hunting, miss them cking lic and plugs at the dove fields, I can count over 3 shots from the same shotgun some times. I'm never upset about being cked for anything but buying a dang beer to go with my supper almost 62 and they can't tell I'm over 21?

XCR-2

Anybody just never run into an officer? I've hunted and fished all my life and can count on one hand how many interactions I've had.

Gravey

Haven't had many encounters but the couple I have were good. A few years ago I was back at camp after the morning hunt and I hear somebody pull in. It was the game warden along with the guy that was taking his place. A members dad was in a golf cart that had stopped down the road and they were letting me know. They offered to bring him to camp but he told them he'd wait for his son. Well we chatted a few minutes and they left so I was getting my stuff together to go see what was wrong with the golf cart when he came pulling in. He didn't have an orange hat on and I asked if they had said anything to him and he said "yeah they told me to make sure I put one on". 😂

BSK

I been cked fishing more times than hunting, miss them cking lic and plugs at the dove fields, I can count over 3 shots from the same shotgun some times. I'm never upset about being cked for anything but buying a dang beer to go with my supper almost 62 and they can't tell I'm over 21?
Of course they can tell. But company policy requires them to check your ID. If they don't do it, they can get fired. My daughter worked at Walgreens, and she was required to check everyone's ID for alcohol and cigarettes, even if the purchaser was clearly 80 years old.

Swampster

A couple have stopped and talked to me on my property before. They were both young, polite, and seemed to have good people instincts. Wish I would see more of them.

mike243

Hooters girl took my license and started to walk away with it, asked her where she was going, said she had to input my info into the register, I told her bring it back and cancel our orders for drinks, no menu wanted me to look online was the first strike, last strike trying to steal my info. Done with that outfit, not all companies have lost their common sense but a lot have imo

Tenntrapper

My daughter has had her lifetime license since right after she was born.
A few years ago, several of us went squirrel hunting. I had ask my daughter if she had her license, she said yes. I guess because we were already there, and she had forgotten it, she didn't want to mess things up...so she lied about having it.
After the hunt, we were back at the vehicles. We were backed into a logging road into the property. This property is at the end of a small dead end road (pig path). Only on rare occasions do you ever see another vehicle back there. The guys we were with were parked between us and the road.
As we were loading our stuff into the vehicle, I hear a vehicle coming down the road...very slowly. There is a curve just above where we are parked, so you can't see anything. In just a minute, I see the front of a dark green truck easing around the curve...it's the GW.
I make the comment...we about to get checked. Daughter, who is with me behind the CRV, with the back hatch open, suddenly gets very concerned. It looks like she's about to cry. I say to her..."you don't have your license...do you?". She says no.
By this time the GW is already checking those with us. I walk around our vehicle, and start talking to the GW. Daughter is hiding behind car about to chit herself. GW asks...who is that hiding behind the car? I tell her what's going on, figuring she's about to throw the book at daughter. She has her license...she just forgot it. She tells me to have her come over to us...and I did. I'm thinking we about to get our butts chewed out...and cited. Instead...she asks the daughter...do you have your phone with you? Dumb question...what teenage girl doesn't... 😂. Daughter says yes, so the GW helps her load the app on her phone and pull it up electronically. Never even fussed about it. Was just being helpful.
Ironically...daughter has never forgotten her license again... 😂