New experience

gatodoc

Yesterday evening in Fayette county I had two fawns come out of the woods into the field about 4:30 pm.

After looking closer it was a young doe and a decent sized fawn, almost as big as mom. They fed around a bit and as they started to walk off the fawn mounted the doe a couple of times. I looked hard for bumps on the head and couldn't see any but it had a short nose like a Buck fawn.

I honestly think I saw a motherf***er. I think she was just coming into heat and hadn't run him off yet. Her next suitor certainly will……

BSK

Actually what you saw was a dominance display. The doe's buck fawn was trying to exert dominance over his mother. Good luck with that...

Fawns will do that to each other, trying to exert dominance over the other, and fawns will do that to their mothers. It's all a part of learning the social hierarchy of the group dynamic.

megalomaniac

Seen that dozens of times... buck fawns attempting to mount their mothers who are not in heat.

I think some of it is dominance as BSK said, but I also think some of it is mother nature... males want to breed females, and the buck fawn doesn't get that his mother is not in heat, but he is going to try anyways.

gatodoc

Actually what you saw was a dominance display. The doe's buck fawn was trying to exert dominance over his mother. Good luck with that...

Fawns will do that to each other, trying to exert dominance over the other, and fawns will do that to their mothers. It's all a part of learning the social hierarchy of the group dynamic.
Thanks for the info…

backyardtndeer

Yep, this is right. Seen it with deer. Happens with deer just like it does with most all other animals. Animals establish pecking orders, and often times the humping action is nothing more than showing their dominance to say I am above you in that order.

Latest posts