5.56 ammo ?

Tiny

Who makes the best Factory 5.56mm Ammo ? Accuracy??
55gr or 62 gr in Ball ?

DaveB

While I was busy trying to get a decent load for our S&W m&p .223 I grabbed a bunch of Wolf steel case ammo.

Twins shot up a few rounds and then the rifle jammed, bolt stuck. Took two of us, a BIG screwdriver, and 30 minutes of sweat to clear the fired case.

Upon examination of the throat I found half-moon pieces of steel. Some of them were jamming in the bolt, locking the bolt in place. What a freaking mess to clean.

I have quite a few pieces of brass from various manufacturers and not a single one exhibits this problem.

IMO, STAY CLEAR of the steel case ammo.

Encore Eye Candy

DaveB":3f2la3si said:
While I was busy trying to get a decent load for our S&W m&p .223 I grabbed a bunch of Wolf steel case ammo.

Twins shot up a few rounds and then the rifle jammed, bolt stuck. Took two of us, a BIG screwdriver, and 30 minutes of sweat to clear the fired case.

Upon examination of the throat I found half-moon pieces of steel. Some of them were jamming in the bolt, locking the bolt in place. What a freaking mess to clean.

I have quite a few pieces of brass from various manufacturers and not a single one exhibits this problem.

IMO, STAY CLEAR of the steel case ammo.

I'm with you on this. I have a few hundred rounds that did not perform well or cycle well in my AR and very dirty that I will never use.

rdl65

Encore Eye Candy":1lewbqg8 said:
rdl65":1lewbqg8 said:
I've always had good luck with IMI ammo.

I purchased 2000 rounds and love it and the brass is great to reload.

I ordered 10,000 rnds in the early 90's when it was 119.00 per thousand. Sold some when it was high during the ammo shortage that paid for it all. Still have a little over 4000 rnds left. I remember the UPS man thought I was crazy for buying so much ammo.

Tiny

Thanks guys.
Yep only my rifle will know for sure. I was asking to see what u all might have to say on it as I have heard or read some conflicting things What Else is New LOL.
I have heard that just bout all American made ball ammo was junk accuracy wise with the Federals being the best, and that the IMI was The Best. I have some of each along with some Win an PMC. I have fired a box of the Win not bad but not great either along with the Hornady V max(Zombie Max) an a few Win Hog Loads both of these did ok was gonna use those during deer season but never got it fine tuned. Still Haven't got around to my reloads yet either.
If an WHEN I do get around to the range which seems like never any more I will fill u all in with what my little Colt says.

rescue2087

DaveB, I also have a S&W M&p that I'm trying to sight in, have been using the cheap steel cased ammo, with no luck, what optics do you have on yours, and do you recommend a ammo mfg that your gun likes better than others?

DaveB

I am on the road. The scope is some kind of POS but is so far holding zero. I do not purchase factory ammo to shoot except as a benchmark against our handloads. The Wolf was like 22 LR ammo, shootemups is why I bought them.

Shooting lefty I managed to get 5 rounds of 55gr FMJ's, 205 primers, R-P Brass, Nosler book max H335. strung out L to R across a 3/4 inch line, 50 yards only. I get some more time & warmer weather maybe I can stretch it out to 100 now that I finally have a spot to move forward with. I am gonna get my eye fixed soon I hope and then heal time Oh Lord let me get back this summer.

Latest posts