4 S’s of early season

Carlos

I nearly always wait until the ides of October. It's panning out to be really nice this weekend, see here-

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211013-193014_AccuWeather.jpg
    Screenshot_20211013-193014_AccuWeather.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 34

catman529

I don't mind sweating it out. If it's open season I'm in the woods. Mosquitoes were bad yesterday but that's what 40% deet is for lol

BSK

With the moon being close to full soon, what's the best times to be on stand this weekend after this front moves in?
Mornings and evenings or midday?
After looking at moon conditions and hunter sightings for many years, I suspect the moon has an influence on deer movement, but it is probably one of the weakest of all the environmental influences. The strongest correlation between moon conditions and hunter sightings is simply the difference between a waxing moon and a waning moon. When comparing identical "percent of the moon's face illuminated" numbers for waning versus waxing moons, waning moon days produce higher sighting rates. Why this is, I have no idea. Early on, I suspected the difference was that a waning moon is up in the sky at sunrise, while a waxing moon is in the sky at sunset. So I looked at morning versus evening hunt data for the two different conditions. Turns out waning moon sightings were higher both for morning and evenings compared to a waxing moon. Again, no idea why.

BustinDustin

After looking at moon conditions and hunter sightings for many years, I suspect the moon has an influence on deer movement, but it is probably one of the weakest of all the environmental influences. The strongest correlation between moon conditions and hunter sightings is simply the difference between a waxing moon and a waning moon. When comparing identical "percent of the moon's face illuminated" numbers for waning versus waxing moons, waning moon days produce higher sighting rates. Why this is, I have no idea. Early on, I suspected the difference was that a waning moon is up in the sky at sunrise, while a waxing moon is in the sky at sunset. So I looked at morning versus evening hunt data for the two different conditions. Turns out waning moon sightings were higher both for morning and evenings compared to a waxing moon. Again, no idea why.
BSK,
I have seen you post on here over the years and greatly value your expertise on the whitetails and enjoy reading your posts!
I may be wrong but do you still or have you in the past worked with people on improving their deer habitat? I just recently purchased a small hunting property in Montgomery county and would love your input on how to improve the property for the deer.

BSK

BSK,
I have seen you post on here over the years and greatly value your expertise on the whitetails and enjoy reading your posts!
I may be wrong but do you still or have you in the past worked with people on improving their deer habitat? I just recently purchased a small hunting property in Montgomery county and would love your input on how to improve the property for the deer.
Managing properties, including developing habitat plans, is what I do for a living. Although, for 5 months out of year (Aug-Dec) all I do is conduct photo censuses.

BustinDustin

I'd be interested in seeing your rates or talking to you more about your services when your available. What is the best way to contact you or do you have a website.