4 S’s of early season

Specializedjon

After looking at moon conditions and hunter sightings for many years, I suspect the moon has an influence on deer movement, but it is probably one of the weakest of all the environmental influences. The strongest correlation between moon conditions and hunter sightings is simply the difference between a waxing moon and a waning moon. When comparing identical "percent of the moon's face illuminated" numbers for waning versus waxing moons, waning moon days produce higher sighting rates. Why this is, I have no idea. Early on, I suspected the difference was that a waning moon is up in the sky at sunrise, while a waxing moon is in the sky at sunset. So I looked at morning versus evening hunt data for the two different conditions. Turns out waning moon sightings were higher both for morning and evenings compared to a waxing moon. Again, no idea why.
When I see this ^^^ I just shut up and learn.

I don't mind sweating it out. If it's open season I'm in the woods. Mosquitoes were bad yesterday but that's what 40% deet is for lol
I like your fire young man!! I used to be that way, i hunted every single chance i get, especially since we had an 11 buck limit! Now that the limit is two, i am much much more selective, and in most years i can find two bucks that make me happy without having to sweat through the early season. Of course family obligations seem to grow every year also.

philsanchez76

THE DAY I'M MOVING!!!!!

(*&^(*^%(W$*R{_P)(I#$JNRFIU&%C^*#^&%^@R_{)#(+}{RE).....pause.....(*&^(*#$)R*&$#YRH$^%(&F@^EGFPDIWEH
Hahaha me too. I've had a dadgum trip planned for months now (not my choice on timing) and I will be gone all weekend!! I've been sweating it out all October out in the woods and I get to miss the first 20 degree temp drop! I can handle the sweat, skeeters and spiders. It's the snakes I don't love. I saw a black racer eat a frog yesterday. I shouldn't be seeing snakes eating frogs in mid October dang it! Rant over.

Last edited:

Specializedjon

If it makes you feel any better, I just took a look at the wind and it appears it will be very gusty. I'm not happy about that
I appreciate the gesture bro, but I'd rather be in a tree eating a toasted bagel with the wind at my back overlooking a food plot than moving. haha

I hope you smoke a big'n. Good luck.

Latest posts