308 Win Federal Premium 175gr Sierra Matchking BTHP

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
Has anyone ever used these bullets to deer hunt with? Wondering their performance on the animal..,

fairchaser

That's a great bullet for long range FClass or even PRS but not for hunting. The sister bullet, the Sierra Gameking is what you want to hunt deer. That grain weight leans toward the heavy side for .308 but would work just fine and have plenty of knockdown.

Deer Assassin

i cant speak for the 175
but the 168 match king .308 caliber kills deer fine
good friend of mine hunts exclusively with them and has killed dozens of deer

i believe the issue with sierra and their match bullets disclaimer has something to NATO and the geneva convention rules of war.

i hunt a lot with hndy Amax it is the most deadly bullet I have ever seen at long range.

Swampster

i cant speak for the 175
Was getting ready to ask about this and found this old post. I usually use the 150 PowerPoint but wondering about the 168 Gold Medal Match King BTHP. Availability and price on these seem OK and I was thinking about making a changeover. I like to use one cartridge. Target, coyote, deer, one cartridge. REC10, 16" with a Nikon scope that I probably only paid $500 for. I know that there is probably no such thing as one tool for all jobs, but this is what I have settled on. My deer shots are usually 50 - 150 yards. Targets no further than 500 as I don't shoot enough (or well enough) to reach out further. I'm good for now, but that is the direction I'm considering for restock unless someone can give me a reason I shouldn't.

BigCityBubba

Matchkings are not designed for hunting so it is questionable whether or not you will get the desired expansion after impact. Depending on where you hit the animal, it may not matter. After using gamekings pig hunting with a 300 win mag, I will never use anything other than a bonded bullet for hunting any big game. Something like a 308 may not matter as much but I still won't use anything but bonded..

tug

There is a reason matchkings are not called gamekings.

Matchkings have an image of a bullseye target on its box. They are designed to shoot paper.

Some states specify "expanding bullets" or "soft point" bullets for big game, which match bullets are neither.

Some activities that are legal are neither ethical nor intelligent.

tug

i cant speak for the 175

i believe the issue with sierra and their match bullets disclaimer has something to NATO and the geneva convention rules of war.

i hunt a lot with hndy Amax it is the most deadly bullet I have ever seen at long range.

The manufacturer does not list a single medium, big, or dangerous game application for an AMAX. Not one.

If you go to a place like South Dakota and you are using AMAX, don't be surprised if you get a ticket.

Remi

Has anyone ever used these bullets to deer hunt with? Wondering their performance on the animal..,

I've never used the match king because I've read too much about inconsistency. They're one of the bullets that just seem to be erratic.

The amax has a huge following as a hunting bullet. I have used the 105hpbt match from Hornady in my .243 with nothing but stellar results at any range.
A friend uses the 140 eldm in his Creedmoor for everything and it's been a monster bullet.

Here's a long read with tons of Lapua Scenar success: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...77783/1/deceased-via-scenar-bullet-pix-please

Last edited:

Deer Assassin

It hu

The manufacturer does not list a single medium, big, or dangerous game application for an AMAX. Not one.

If you go to a place like South Dakota and you are using AMAX, don't be surprised if you get a ticket.
not hunting sd anytime soon

If game warden can tell difference between 162 Amax and 162 eld hunting bullet I'll be surprised

I think this thread was about match kings

But 162 amax is a heck of a bullet on game killed several with it

Latest posts