300 Mag opinions needed

REM7

Im planning on a bigger game hunt in next year or so, Elk, mule deer and etc. Leaning toward a 300 mag, so to those who are more knowledgeable in this area what your Suggestions? 300 win mag, ultra mag, short mag, weatherby, Rum and etc. So all input is greatly appreciated.

dhpro

any of those will do the job !!all the guys i know seem to favor a 7 mag or 30/06 dont know any that use the mention cal but they will with out a doubt work

TNRifleman

I went the 300 Win Mag route and it is a great rifle for out west. However, I have since opted back for the 30-06 as I did not see much advantage for my situation. The 300 Win Mag will shine out past 300-400 yards but the 30-06 is still more than adequate for elk at that range. As far as the 300 variants, if you ever do intend to sell it later on, I would say the standard Win Mag would give you the most options. The others are niche calibers that do not have as big of following and thus are generally harder to sell and/or find ammo for unless you reload. The 300WSM would likely be the close second.

DaveB

For 8 consecutive years I hunted Elk and mule deer in the area east of Highway 13 South of Craig and north of Meeker. I also hunted north and west of Craig and in Yellow Jacket National Forest.

The countryside is rough, the weather can be brutal, feels like there is no oxygen at 7000 feet.

I've killed 2 nice mule deer bucks, about 5 not so nice. 1 5x5 bull and 3 cows.

I would not consider going after a bull elk without my Browning A-bolt 300 WinMag with 180 grain partitions on top of Nosler book max IMR7828 pushing 3000 fps. Zeroed 3 inches high at 100 and enough rounds down the tube at all ranges to have complete confidence when I squeeze a round off something is gonna die. No matter what you carry, you better have confidence you can put a round through his earhole if necessary.

We have a 280 and an 06 that will de-sex a flea at 100 yards. I think I'd bear down and try to get my 300 WinMag Winchester Model 70 Sporter to shoot straight. Elk are big animals. You won't always get a TV shot of 50 yards.

pcrc

Ive got a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 300 RUM. I enjoy looking at it a whole lot more than I do shooting it.

REM7

Thanks for all info, I got several in the 7 mm Mag its my go to favorite gun. Just thinking on a 300 Win Mag.

LanceS4803

I researched and researched 300WM or 300WSM. Almost identical ballistics, but I went with regular old 300WM due to ammo availability. You can even get it at Wal-Mart in an emergency, and it is a regular cartridge overseas as well.

LanceS4803

MUP":16rm5tv6 said:
Very good analytical choice Lance. I have a 300WSM and a WinMag as well, but I load for both. I really, REALLY like the Wizzum tho, it's turned into a real shooter with handloads.

But I still covet the shorter receiver of the 300WSM.