300 BLK subsonic

44 mag

Ok, I picked up my suppressor this past week and I am wondering what you guys are using to hunt with. I have ordered a box of the Gorilla Silverback 205gr. If they group well I will probably see what they will do on a deer. I have read really good things about the Lehigh Defense also. Just curious what you guys have has good results out of?

44 mag

Thank you infoman.

As much as I want to get started this year I think it will be best to wait until next season to start hunting subsonic. So that I have time to test and develop a load.

DaveB

stumbled across this just a few moments ago. in the 68forums:

"
300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.
It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.
Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.
"

I have zero experience with the 300 but I sure wish I had my hands on the Savage results. Could be a three-inch group at 100 yards is no good for them but I think that will kill a deer no problem. Or, could be constant flyers. Or one on next one out.

Best of luck, you may hit gold on the next range day.

44 mag

That is interesting. I will admit that I have not attempted to shoot subs yet. I did not expect to get the can out of "jail" until April or May of next year. I have shot suppers will good results. I have a Remington 700 with a 1/7 twist. I had to send it back because it had the wrong barrel when I got it. It was marked 1/7 but was more like a 1/10 and was giving a 6 inch group at 50 with subs. Once I got it back I tested the barrel to make sure it was correct then shot suppers to get a good juvenile load. Hopefully we will see in the next few weeks.

If I can get a 2 inch group at 100 I will be happy. I look at sub hunting a lot like handgun hunting 100 yards max and shot placement.

44 mag

I have actually already looked at this ammo but in 300. I will shoot 308 also but have to get my barrel threaded. Or use that as an excuse to buy a new rifle lol.

infoman jr.

DaveB":808gxd1o said:
stumbled across this just a few moments ago. in the 68forums:

"
300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.
It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.
Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.
"

I have zero experience with the 300 but I sure wish I had my hands on the Savage results. Could be a three-inch group at 100 yards is no good for them but I think that will kill a deer no problem. Or, could be constant flyers. Or one on next one out.

Best of luck, you may hit gold on the next range day.
That's a Savage quote from 2012. A lot has changed since then. Even though my bullets were hitting sideways, my 9" barrel was throwing the Noslers WELL within hunting accuracy at 100 yards.

Deer Assassin

Bucket":34nrkt3y said:
Deer Assassin":34nrkt3y said:
im sorry but 44 mag IMO it the ticket for subsonic hunting

Can't argue with you there, I just already had the .30 cal suppressor.

I get that

i have had great results with the 265 ftx @ 1025 fps and the lane 458 scorpion suppressor

also with 300 xtp

I havent had time to develop a subload with a 400-500 grain bullet in the 458 socom

ewc

2in1shot":spltkais said:
300 BO is lots of fun but I would not personally deer hunt with one using sub sonic ammo.

I don't know why. It's worked perfectly for me on two hogs, 4 deer, and one dog.

Urban_Hunter

ewc":34rvcs24 said:
2in1shot":34rvcs24 said:
300 BO is lots of fun but I would not personally deer hunt with one using sub sonic ammo.

I don't know why. It's worked perfectly for me on two hogs, 4 deer, and one dog.

Because the most commonly discussed minimum energy required to humanely take a whitetail is 1000ft/lb, and a subsonic blackout delivers half that

ewc

You should go by what others think then. Not actual experience... :)

By the way, an arrow produces maybe 80# energy. I guess that's not an ethical tool to hunt with since 1000# is what others think is necessary kill a whitetail.

Urban_Hunter

ewc":2yrry72b said:
You should go by what others think then. Not actual experience... :)

By the way, an arrow produces maybe 80# energy. I guess that's not an ethical tool to hunt with since 1000# is what others think is necessary kill a whitetail.

That number is based off of the experience of thousands of hunters over generations of taking game.

An arrow cuts a path of 1.5"-2" in diameter. Your weapon of question cuts a path of 0.3". Not saying it won't kill a deer, just couldn't imagine anything more marginal if I tried. Keep your tracking dog on speed dial

Urban_Hunter

ewc":18fw1rwh said:
Do you own a 300 bo?

One. 16" palmetto upper. I had a 700 aac-sd for a stint, but sold it. Owning one doesn't change its performance, if anything, it reinforces it's limitations in my eyes. I do have a pet load with H110 and 125gr SST's that would work well on game. I tried and tried to get 150gr pro-hunters to work, but couldn't get them fast enough to expand (albeit limited by COAL for the AR mag).

For deer in the AR platform I much prefer the 6.8.

Latest posts