300 black out ?'s

rukiddin

Does anyone offer a bolt rifle in 300 blackout that's just a standard bolt rifle? By that I mean not with a short barrel That's threaded or has a "tactical look".

Wouldn't mind having one and I'm not a AR fan but love a bolt rifle. Plus it seems like it would be a sweet little <100yds youth deer gun.

rhyned

You probably won't find one that isn't threaded, or one that has a longer barrel. I think the main draw to the Blackout is it's subsonic capability, so it's usually set up for a can. Also, it doesn't gain much from a longer barrel.

keystonecop

Ruger American makes one. Only has a 16 inch barrel. It's around $450. Mine shoots factory loads good, still trying to come up with a hand load for mine.

infoman jr.

So you mean something like this?
011911odshotshowwed025a.jpg

Hunter 257W

Must be at least 1,000 individual little pieces in that beast..........I just don't see the appeal myself. :shock:

Maybe too many new shooters played with Transformer toys when they were little????

infoman jr.

Hunter 257W":3bfn4ue4 said:
Must be at least 1,000 individual little pieces in that beast..........I just don't see the appeal myself. :shock:

Maybe too many new shooters played with Transformer toys when they were little????
The military seems to like it. That's the same chassis that the old M24/new m2010 wears...
1920px-XM2010_November_2010.jpg

Hunter 257W

Yeah, there are a lot of Transformer fans in the military too. :) The usage of the automotive term "Chassis" to describe what would otherwise be referred to as a rifle stock tells a lot about how over complicated they are. They look like somebody was forced to take a pile of junk laying around a shop and weld/glue it all together to come up with a makeshift stock.

Hunter 257W

infoman jr.":69ahwza6 said:
Grandpa's wood stock doesn't allow mounting of night vision, IR designators, thermal, bipods, and lights while free floating the barrel. ;)
s

True - that accounts for the long series of Weaver mounts they now call Picatinny Rails on the forearm, but that doesn't account for that mess of parts on the butt stock. While I see the potential functional benefit of being able to adjust a stock, I'd bet most people who buy such stocks never adjust them and have zero use for the folding function. I still say the demand for such stocks is more fashion than function.

infoman jr.

Hunter 257W":286sedr2 said:
infoman jr.":286sedr2 said:
Grandpa's wood stock doesn't allow mounting of night vision, IR designators, thermal, bipods, and lights while free floating the barrel. ;)
s

True - that accounts for the long series of Weaver mounts they now call Picatinny Rails on the forearm, but that doesn't account for that mess of parts on the butt stock. While I see the potential functional benefit of being able to adjust a stock, I'd bet most people who buy such stocks never adjust them and have zero use for the folding function. I still say the demand for such stocks is more fashion than function.
The customer for 99% of these stocks is the military, and for their snipers, portability and adjustability are important.

rj112275

I too have the Rem 700 with the short, threaded barrel. Mighty nice with a suppressor.

For a small, youth gun, the Ruger American is chambered in 300BLK. I think there is a Predator version and I think they are all threaded. Had the Ruger been available when I bought mine, I probably would have bought it. It would be lighter and more compact. You can easily find a Encore in 300BLK if you want a single shot with traditional wood stock and forearm. If you're not going to suppress the 300BLK or use in the AR platform that matches your 223 setup with a simple barrel change, you might be better served by a 30-30, 308 or traditional caliber. Where the 300BLK shines is subsonic, in my opinion. It tosses big, heavy bullets at a slow pace that are easily suppressed. My 2 platforms are an AR which is sighted in at 50 yards and the Rem 700 at 100 yds. Beyond that, the drop is substantial. If I wanted a longer range gun, then I'd use my 308. If I wanted a 100 yd rifle only with easy kick, I'd probably think about things mentioned above like the 30-30.

However, I see where the Ruger American is now in 6.5 Creedmoor... distance and little recoil... hmmmm...

rukiddin

Thanks for all the info. I've basically given up. If it ain't wood/blued, I really don't want it. Looking for something to be a safe queen till my lil girl gets old enough. Lot of good calibers mentioned but I've never been one to have what everybody else has.

Hunter 257W

rukiddin":21g7gjck said:
Thanks for all the info. I've basically given up. If it ain't wood/blued, I really don't want it. Looking for something to be a safe queen till my lil girl gets old enough. Lot of good calibers mentioned but I've never been one to have what everybody else has.

I understand wanting something different. That was part of the appeal of the little CZ carbine. I'm the only person I know with one. If you want something different that a kid can use I think it's perfect. I'll admit that I really bought it for myself though - just so happens that it is perfect for my 5' 100lb daughter.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbin ... -5-rd-mag/

rukiddin

Yeah, I've thought about the 7.62. I know a guy who has about every ruger m77 ever made and he wanted my wood m77 44 mag. I asked him if he had a 7.62x39 and he had just sold his M77 skeleton stock 7.62........always seem to be a day late and a dollar short!!!

Latest posts