30-30 Lever Action ammo???

trex

Which factory ammo do you believe is best for deer/bear?

Which bullet do you believe is best?

Which powder do you believe is best?

I know it depends on each rifle liking certain ammo but pretend the rifle will shoot any load.

44 mag

I have always used the federal power shok in 170 grain. It was the cheapest and shot good out of my rifle. I think at the time it was $12 a box so I bought all that Walmart had. That was close to 20 years ago. I still have a couple boxes left. It's also the only round I have tried so I don't have any experience with other ammo but it works.

Remi

For factory ammo I use the 170gr Remington Corelokt

In my handloads I use the 170 Hornady and 30grs of imr3031

Good read on factory 170's

Moonman

Federal fusion is my go too. I couldn't find it and ran out last year and used the federal blue box power shock blue box. I didn't get a pass through and blood trail was terrible. Ran 50 yds and was hard to find blood.

Patrick H

Winchester Power Point 150 grain. Consistently the most accurate out of 4 different Marlin 336. I can put 3 out of five shots into 3/4" and all 5 in 1.5" at 100 yards with a solid rest and using a scope. Always puts deer down.

Next best have been Remington Core-Lok 170 grain and Federal blue box Power Shock 150 grain which shoots very close to the Winchester Power Point 150 grain.

Hornady Leverevolution did not shoot well out of 4 different Marlin 336 and it does not extend maximum point blank range by much.

trex

Anyone use the 170 grain Hornady Interlock FP bullet in 30-30, do they hold together good?
They say it has a sectional density of .256 so it looks like it should be a good bullet.

tnanh

More velocity, shoots flatter, more energy on impact and better accuracy. When I shot the flat nose I was comfortable shooting out to 150 yards. With this I'm comfortable shooting it out to 200 yards. They work great in my rifle but they are a little pricey compared to the flat nose.
Not necessarily. I have two 30-30s and they both shoot this ammo really bad. Six inch groups at 100 yards. Powerpoint 150s shoot about 1 1/2 inch groups in both. But, I have shot the leverevolution in a 35 and a 45-70 with good results.

Lost Lake

My favorite cartridge, and I appreciate the 30/30 for what it is. No way I'm going to try to turn it into a longer range round by using the gummy tips.

Any good cup and core flat nose 150 grain will drop deer well. Penetration is more than adequate as I usually never recover a bullet.

When I'm going after bear or hogs, I like the 170's.

Sierra bullets in my handloads are my favorite.

thale51

Just shot a doe yesterday with my 30-30 using Federal Powershok 170 grain bullets. Great entrance/exit holes and she didn't run 40 yards before she fell. It seems to group pretty well in my rifle. I've also had good luck with the Winchester Power Points.

Latest posts