30-30 question

Moonman

I've been looking for federal fusion 30-30 as it's been great in my Winchester 94. I haven't gotten to hunt the last couple of years and ran out. I've been looking and just couldn't find any. Found some of the blue box federal and got it sighted in. Went to Walmart todayand low and behold they had 3 boxes and I got them all. I was looking at the ballistics and saw that the fusion shoots a little flatter than the blue box. I'm shooting open sights and got the blue dialed in and have always like the fusion. Anyone had issues with the blue? My heart says fusion by my stomach says stay with what I've sighted in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 47

TNReb

Just my two cents.. you're looking at less than an inch difference at 200 yards. You probably aren't shooting beyond that with iron sights?

The kill zone on a deer is a lot bigger than an inch. Hunt whichever you prefer. You'll be fine either way.

Moonman

Just my two cents.. you're looking at less than an inch difference at 200 yards. You probably aren't shooting beyond that with iron sights?

The kill zone on a deer is a lot bigger than an inch. Hunt whichever you prefer. You'll be fine either way.
Correct. Heck I can't see 200 yds. I hunt 50-100. Thank you for the reply. I feel confident with the fusion as to date I haven't had a deer run over 25 yards, and I just don't know if the blue box would perform as good. Except for one that ran they all dropped where they stood.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I use the blue box in my 270. They work great in the ranges you are talking about.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Fusions in a tubular magazine???
Seems like gambling 😕

For a .30-30, they'd be round nose.

I've killed all my deer with blue box .308 and the results have been outstanding. Usually a .60 cal exit wound.

If anything, you'll get better expansion because it's the same as shooting a normal soft point, like a Remington Core-Lokt or Winchester PowerPoint. Shoot blue box with confidence, because you have it on good authority that they'll kill wonderfully—and more importantly, because you know where you'll hit.

44 mag

I actually prefer the old blue box power shok I think they are called. My gun likes the 170 grain. Used to be able to get them at Walmart for something like $12 a box. I loaded up years ago.

I would hunt with what you have zeroed it with.

SSlater

I prefer a combination of accuracy AND availability. The blue box seems more likely to be available.

SSlater

The blue box worked just fine. The Buck dropped where it stood and the doe ran a little but she was already a little on edge. Can't complain about it.
I'm sure the Fusion is great ammo, most likely superior but if you can't get it or depend on it regularly in stock, it's not much good. That's why I stick to old standby calibers and brands. Which nowadays is no guarantee.

Latest posts