3 months until a duodecennial….

Hduke86

Water
Excellent point. Between the elevation, low humidity and over exertion it is super easy to get dehydrated. I add a daily electrolyte mix to my morning wake up routine and will often mix something up during the day and/or night with dinner. I've witnessed people cramp up and come down with "altitude sickness" with the culprit being dehydration.
I'm fortunate because I absolutely love filtered cold mountain water, I just have to make sure my electrolytes are in order.

I do have a hard time consuming water when it's cold, I have to make myself. That's when I like to mix up some hot water and broth or instant carnation on cold glassing days. Makes the time go by, keeps me moving and helps get water in me. However, I'm not always packing my stove so mixing those little flavor packets in a throw away water bottle is nice.

Speaking of throw away water bottle. The Smart Water bottle is my go to. Sawyer mini water filter screws right on top, if I choose to not use my pump, making it a super easy grab n go water supply.

Now, the one thing I do struggle with is eating on these trips. It's a mixture between not wanting to take the time and then being super exhausted and simply not wanting to eat. If I'm day hunting, I try to have a couple nice pre made meals ready to heat up. Packing sandwiches for lunch and fresh fruit helps. Plus easy digestible carb sources for energy. Gummy Bears and snickers seem to be my octane boost.

For overnight backcountry trips it's a bit more complicated but I do try to have at least the first days food plan more "healthy n fresh". After that it's all about highly palatable food.
Cold water is hard to drink and most people don't drink enough when the water is cold. I'm the same way and want room temperature water most of the time. My go to hunting snack is dehydrated fruits and homemade jerky sticks like a slim jim. Instant mashed potatoes are always a solid in my pack.

Buzzard Breath

#1. You basically have to train your body and brain to drink a good bit of water. I have to flavor my water with electrolyte flavor mix to endure the gallons I'd drink on a trip like this.
This is always a tough one for me. I like the ease of having a water bladder and getting a drink anytime. I hate not knowing how full it is and I'm always afraid of hammering it down and not being around a water source. I've started carrying a Nalgene full of water and a water bottle with electrolytes in my packs side pockets, in addition to my bladder.

I'll probably make a post about my nutritional needs, or lack thereof, closer to the hunt. My 3 main go tos are:
1. Smashed up Fritos. Corn, oil, and salt; covers all the food groups and can be poured straight into my mouth.
2. Pop tarts, frosted. 3 kinds of sugar held together with a chemical binder that resembles flour.
3. Cooked sausage links wrapped in a corn tortilla with cheese. Not the good fresh sausage, but the stuff that comes 5 to a pack and is only a small step better than a hotdog. There's enough preservatives in these things that they won't go bad for days, if ever.

Hduke86

This is always a tough one for me. I like the ease of having a water bladder and getting a drink anytime. I hate not knowing how full it is and I'm always afraid of hammering it down and not being around a water source. I've started carrying a Nalgene full of water and a water bottle with electrolytes in my packs side pockets, in addition to my bladder.

I'll probably make a post about my nutritional needs, or lack thereof, closer to the hunt. My 3 main go tos are:
1. Smashed up Fritos. Corn, oil, and salt; covers all the food groups and can be poured straight into my mouth.
2. Pop tarts, frosted. 3 kinds of sugar held together with a chemical binder that resembles flour.
3. Cooked sausage links wrapped in a corn tortilla with cheese. Not the good fresh sausage, but the stuff that comes 5 to a pack and is only a small step better than a hotdog. There's enough preservatives in these things that they won't go bad for days, if ever.
I usually bring honey with me and pour it on anything I eat

@fulldraw

dance fail GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Ran into AT working on a new treadmill routine. Once he masters this he'll start reverse rucking. 🤣🤣🤣

AT Hiker

Monday Morning Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Scratch that. He's got a long ways to go. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
Funny how you start talking smack once you found out I'm moving 1500 miles away.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, everybody laugh. Get your giggles out while you can because I'm taking notes. I'll make a special trip back just to give each one you a wedgie, fools.

You'll see me coming down your driveway and say "is that Cam Haynes", nope it's a jacked AT Hiker because he learned how to walk backwards on his wife's treadmill.

@fulldraw

Funny how you start talking smack once you found out I'm moving 1500 miles away.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, everybody laugh. Get your giggles out while you can because I'm taking notes. I'll make a special trip back just to give each one you a wedgie, fools.

You'll see me coming down your driveway and say "is that Cam Haynes", nope it's a jacked AT Hiker because he learned how to walk backwards on his wife's treadmill.
While you're 1500 miles away I'll be living rent free in your mind. This way I know you won't forget me. 😉😘

Buzzard Breath

I'd love to do that someday but with a muzzleloader or rifle.
The cool part about our tags is that they're good for any weapon. We just have to hunt during that season. Archery starts Sept 1 and runs through the month. Rifle starts Oct 1. We're going to give ourselves some extra time in October to use rifles, if necessary.

OldFussNFeathers

Water
Excellent point. Between the elevation, low humidity and over exertion it is super easy to get dehydrated. I add a daily electrolyte mix to my morning wake up routine and will often mix something up during the day and/or night with dinner. I've witnessed people cramp up and come down with "altitude sickness" with the culprit being dehydration.
I'm fortunate because I absolutely love filtered cold mountain water, I just have to make sure my electrolytes are in order.

I do have a hard time consuming water when it's cold, I have to make myself. That's when I like to mix up some hot water and broth or instant carnation on cold glassing days. Makes the time go by, keeps me moving and helps get water in me. However, I'm not always packing my stove so mixing those little flavor packets in a throw away water bottle is nice.

Speaking of throw away water bottle. The Smart Water bottle is my go to. Sawyer mini water filter screws right on top, if I choose to not use my pump, making it a super easy grab n go water supply.

Now, the one thing I do struggle with is eating on these trips. It's a mixture between not wanting to take the time and then being super exhausted and simply not wanting to eat. If I'm day hunting, I try to have a couple nice pre made meals ready to heat up. Packing sandwiches for lunch and fresh fruit helps. Plus easy digestible carb sources for energy. Gummy Bears and snickers seem to be my octane boost.

For overnight backcountry trips it's a bit more complicated but I do try to have at least the first days food plan more "healthy n fresh". After that it's all about highly palatable food.
Wife and I saved all the "smart water" bottles last year. Bought the sawyer filter with a dirty bladder and clean. Pain in the arse to filter but it worked.

Buzzard Breath

Quick update. I've been busy with life but was able to get in 2 runs, 2 workouts and spent 2 days paddling/fishing on my SUP. Sleep suffered a little, but it was a busy week. More of the same this week, but I should be able to get into a routine after that. The cicada hatch appears to be winding down, too. I'll be less inclined to fish all the time after that.

Screenshot_20240603_060233_Connect.jpg

P6020264.JPG

Last edited:

Buzzard Breath

The new bugle tube has arrived. I'm not sure what happened to my old one. During our last move, we had some stuff get some water damage that we threw out. It may have been in that stuff. Or, it could be in some random box in the attic. Either way, I got tired of looking for it.
20240605_154143.jpg

AT Hiker

The new bugle tube has arrived. I'm not sure what happened to my old one. During our last move, we had some stuff get some water damage that we threw out. It may have been in that stuff. Or, it could be in some random box in the attic. Either way, I got tired of looking for it.
View attachment 230225
Bro, you got the "pro edition"!

AT Hiker

Been busy myself with moving, that in of itself is a solid workout.

Finally got back in a small groove Monday, though.
10 rounds each with my pack carrying 40lbs.
Box steps 10x
60lb Kettle bell swings 10x

Then 5 rounds with no pack;
10x pushups
5x pull ups
60lb kettle bell thrusters 10x
10 second dead hang

Then shot my bow right after.

Tuesday
10 rounds
10 lunges with 60lb kb farmer carry
60 lb kb thrusters 10x
10 push-ups
5 rounds
15x bent rows with 30lb kb
25 reverse flys with 5lbs

Shot my bow

Today I took my daughter and doggy on a nice hike. I wasn't carrying a heavy pack, I'll ease in to that soon enough. 3.4 miles at 7,100 feet with 716 foot of elevation gain in 1.50 hours. They did phenomenal, me on the other hand, I think I'm fighting a bug. The vit D was nice but I'm drained. Lack of sleep, long drive and moving won this time.

IMG_5594.jpeg

Gravey

Been busy myself with moving, that in of itself is a solid workout.

Finally got back in a small groove Monday, though.
10 rounds each with my pack carrying 40lbs.
Box steps 10x
60lb Kettle bell swings 10x

Then 5 rounds with no pack;
10x pushups
5x pull ups
60lb kettle bell thrusters 10x
10 second dead hang

Then shot my bow right after.

Tuesday
10 rounds
10 lunges with 60lb kb farmer carry
60 lb kb thrusters 10x
10 push-ups
5 rounds
15x bent rows with 30lb kb
25 reverse flys with 5lbs

Shot my bow

Today I took my daughter and doggy on a nice hike. I wasn't carrying a heavy pack, I'll ease in to that soon enough. 3.4 miles at 7,100 feet with 716 foot of elevation gain in 1.50 hours. They did phenomenal, me on the other hand, I think I'm fighting a bug. The vit D was nice but I'm drained. Lack of sleep, long drive and moving won this time.

View attachment 230292
Where did you move to with that view?

Latest posts