290 gr Barnes TMZ

encore06

Yesterday I finally got a chance to try the new Barnes TMZ or Knight Ultimate Slam bullet. They're the same. I'm shooting 120 grains of 777 in my T/C Omega. The first 2 shots were about an inch low and to the right. Adjusted the scope, the next shot was dead center. Made another adjustment up and the 4th shot was an inch high straight above the 3rd shot. This was at 50 yards. I dad not get a chance to shoot at a longer distance.

The problem: Hard as heck to load. I was hoping these would be easier than the Hornady's SST, but no such luck. I wonder if a different sabot would make a difference. I don't think I can load the m/z to get a 2nd shot. Any one else having this problem in their Omega?

Big Gun

Barnes bullets are notorious for being hard to load, they are also known for being very accurate. I'm going to try some of the new Knight easy load sabots which have Barnes bullets in them and see how they work.

Model70Man

My solution to the problem is my second shot is a 245 grain Powerbelt for the second shot if needed. The point of impact is identical to the first shot. The Powerbelts are so easy to load.

skynimrod

Like Model70 I load the 290 Barnes for my first round, then use the 300 gr T/C super glides bonded shock waves for my second shot (easy to get down my tube after fouling), and same ballistics pretty much.

Big Gun

Try the Knight easy load sabot with the Barnes 290 gr. bullet. I tried them yesterday and was very pleased.

encore06

Big Gun, If that's the yellow sabot, that's what I was using. I called MMP this morning on order a package of their HPH series - 3Petal-EZ Sabots. I hope these will seat easier and still give me the accuracy I'm currently getting. Thanks everyone for your assistance. The bullet is the barnes 290 grain tipped MZ.

AlabamaSwamper

If you will spread a light coating of Bore BUtter on the sabot before loading your quick loader it will load much easier. Put a good coating in your barrel also.

I shot 3 times last year one morning with my Omega and loaded all three just fine.

Latest posts