Barnes expander

Dennis

I have killed piles of deer with them, in muzzleloaders as well as shotguns. They performed consistently.
But they don't always exit. I have a bunch of them that I have recovered under the skin on the off side of the animal. Always opened perfectly, look like a copper flower.

PickettSFHunter

I no longer shoot them because I prefer the also pure copper Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracture ML bullets. That being said, I only switched because I could more reliably order the Lehigh bullets at the time. The Barnes expanders are an excellent choice.

wannabuck

I really appreciate the replies and information I got a couple packs of them and my buddy got some he shot two deer last year with them never recovered either one of them one was broadside we found hair and blood at the spot he shot but no more and the other was a bad shot in my opinion we found blood and hair as well on this one but it was a straight on headed at him shot the broadside made me wonder about exit holes

TboneD

I used to shoot them and never had the first complaint. Only reason I switched to polymer tipped coppers was for better ballistics, but for terminal performance the Barnes expanders are absolutely devastating.

GMB54

I no longer shoot them because I prefer the also pure copper Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracture ML bullets. That being said, I only switched because I could more reliably order the Lehigh bullets at the time. The Barnes expanders are an excellent choice.
Totally agree. Both are extremely good bullets. So many people get tipped Barnes ML bullets and never shoot at a distance that the tiny BC increase will mean squat. Expanders fly just fine for most common distances and expand more reliably than a tipped Barnes.

Lehighs function a bit differently but are very dependable as far as performing as designed over a wide range of impact speeds. Penetration is usually better than the Barnes. I shoot the 45 Colt 225gr XPB version of the Barnes and the Lehigh 230gr CF. XPBs and Expander MZs are very similar. That little Barnes at 2300fps is just nasty medicine for deer. Excellent bullet for guys wanting to shoot reduced recoil loads also.

LanceS4803

250gr Barnes Expander MZ
Full frontal on a whitetail. Hard to get much for expansion than that.

BarnesExpanderMZ250gr.jpg

DoubleRidge

I shoot the Barnes T-EZ and since switching have taken four bucks with them. Two were under 70yds and dropped in sight. One was 85yards and he ran 50yards with good blood trail. Last one was 140yards and he ran through head high briars and I never got on any blood but was able to recover the buck. Two of the bucks we're quartering away and bullet was recovered under skin on off side...perfect weight retention and pedals folded back...the two that were broadside were pass through....the 140yard buck was one of the pass throughs....shooting 120 grain 777 from CVA Accura LR....and even though I'm very pleased with the performance....it's a BP muzzleloader and will not produce the terminal damage of a high power rifle and shots need to be taken accordingly...and I'm never quick to give up tracking a deer shot with a muzzleloader....in some cases it will take some distance before the blood trail develops....but I'm pleased with the Barnes T-EZ performance and weight retention...best bullet I've shot.

Last edited:

Pilchard

Can anyone confirm or dissent that the XPB 225 gr 45 colt is essentially the expander MZ in 225?

I have read this from chuck hawks and am working towards a low recoil muzzy for my son as he matures.

I just don't want the bullet to not perform. I'd rather him wait on hunting with a muzzleloader if that's the case.

CHRIS WILSON

Can anyone confirm or dissent that the XPB 225 gr 45 colt is essentially the expander MZ in 225?

I have read this from chuck hawks and am working towards a low recoil muzzy for my son as he matures.

I just don't want the bullet to not perform. I'd rather him wait on hunting with a muzzleloader if that's the case.
Pretty much the same. Both are solid copper, monolithic hollow points. The XPB being designed for the 45 colt may expand more consistently at lower end velocities but should hold together well at the higher end. I've shot the .429 caliber 225 XPB out of my pistol and Optima rifle with great terminal results on deer. Wouldn't expect any different with the .451 version.