2023 Kill Thread

killingtime 41

Yeah it's a pretty place. My intuition tells me it won't be there much longer. Too much development happening too fast here in Wilson county and it's in a good location.
That's the problem just about anywhere in TN. People are just dying to move here to get out in the country. And live in a subdivision.

bhud84

Tacos and backstrap!
Williamson County

Attachments

• 20231221_082028.jpg
    20231221_082028.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 16

Livin2hunt

Congrats to everyone on their deer harvests this year so far. I've been playing behind a little with life stuff in the way. Over the Thanksgiving weekend the stars lined up for me and I was able to tag on one of the bucks that I had been getting pics of and watching all summer and early fall. 4 1/2 yo
1000003004.jpg

I had put pics of the 8 and 10 point I had been watching on here earlier in the year in the food plot during that time my wife had surgery and there just wasn't a lot of time to spend in the tree with a bow so I forfeited that plot mostly until muzzleloader so I knew I could reach out and touch something. Muzzleloader rolled around and I finally got to spend some quality time in the woods. Opening day mzl I sat all day and that afternoon the big 8 showed up right before dark. I shot and the deer does his mule kick and runs straight towards me. By now I'm trying to reload, wondering what the heck just happened why he didn't just fall in the plot. While im reloading he is just standing there 10 yards from me staring at me while im trying to slam powder and a bullet down the barrel..I look and see blood just pouring down his back leg. By the time I'm reloaded he had moved over into the soft edge of the field out of site. At that point my heart was just at wits end. What had just happened! I decided to ease down the ladder and see if I could pick out a hole to possibly get another shot on him. When I did he bolted.
I went to where he last stood when I saw him. Blood was everywhere so I decided to backout and go back after midnight.
After midnight went back in to find blood everywhere for about 100 yards then nothing. I immediately back out and called for a dog the next morning. We track for a mile and a half finding blood in multiple beds and along his path until the last bed we found. From there we lost him. I was absolutely sick and disgusted. On our way in with the dog that morning I had to pass by the stand and noticed a limb that was dangling and blowing in the wind. Climbed my stand and saw a perfect groove where the limb was broken. In my haste to get on him I never saw the limb. By the way first time ever using a dog. It was amazing watching him work.
I was hoping at this point as resilient as they are maybe he is still alive and maybe he would show on another cam somewhere at some point but to no avail.
Fast forward to Thanksgiving weekend, I had also been getting the 10 point every 3rd day on a scrape in the evening in a corn field and that Saturday afternoon was his 3rd day so I set up there and luckily he patterned perfect and with a bunch of does in the field he stopped to check his scrape on his way out there to find love and I was able to drop him in his tracks. The good lord had blessed me even after I royally screwed up weeks before.
While leaving the farm that night the neighbor stopped by to see what I had gotten and also informed me that the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week someone had hit a really big 8 point down on the road with their car. Found out it was the 8 I had shot so he had made it. The ups and downs of a hunter in the deer woods!

Snake

Snake

Congrats to everyone on their deer harvests this year so far. I've been playing behind a little with life stuff in the way. Over the Thanksgiving weekend the stars lined up for me and I was able to tag on one of the bucks that I had been getting pics of and watching all summer and early fall. 4 1/2 yo
View attachment 208615
I had put pics of the 8 and 10 point I had been watching on here earlier in the year in the food plot during that time my wife had surgery and there just wasn't a lot of time to spend in the tree with a bow so I forfeited that plot mostly until muzzleloader so I knew I could reach out and touch something. Muzzleloader rolled around and I finally got to spend some quality time in the woods. Opening day mzl I sat all day and that afternoon the big 8 showed up right before dark. I shot and the deer does his mule kick and runs straight towards me. By now I'm trying to reload, wondering what the heck just happened why he didn't just fall in the plot. While im reloading he is just standing there 10 yards from me staring at me while im trying to slam powder and a bullet down the barrel..I look and see blood just pouring down his back leg. By the time I'm reloaded he had moved over into the soft edge of the field out of site. At that point my heart was just at wits end. What had just happened! I decided to ease down the ladder and see if I could pick out a hole to possibly get another shot on him. When I did he bolted.
I went to where he last stood when I saw him. Blood was everywhere so I decided to backout and go back after midnight.
After midnight went back in to find blood everywhere for about 100 yards then nothing. I immediately back out and called for a dog the next morning. We track for a mile and a half finding blood in multiple beds and along his path until the last bed we found. From there we lost him. I was absolutely sick and disgusted. On our way in with the dog that morning I had to pass by the stand and noticed a limb that was dangling and blowing in the wind. Climbed my stand and saw a perfect groove where the limb was broken. In my haste to get on him I never saw the limb. By the way first time ever using a dog. It was amazing watching him work.
I was hoping at this point as resilient as they are maybe he is still alive and maybe he would show on another cam somewhere at some point but to no avail.
Fast forward to Thanksgiving weekend, I had also been getting the 10 point every 3rd day on a scrape in the evening in a corn field and that Saturday afternoon was his 3rd day so I set up there and luckily he patterned perfect and with a bunch of does in the field he stopped to check his scrape on his way out there to find love and I was able to drop him in his tracks. The good lord had blessed me even after I royally screwed up weeks before.
While leaving the farm that night the neighbor stopped by to see what I had gotten and also informed me that the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week someone had hit a really big 8 point down on the road with their car. Found out it was the 8 I had shot so he had made it. The ups and downs of a hunter in the deer woods!
Super nice buck brother , congrats hate that you lost the other one .

I was beginning to wonder if I would be able to post in here this year. 😩 Been a crazy season. I've only been able to get in the woods 4 or 5 times. Hadn't seen a deer in the woods yet. Had knee surgery 2 weeks ago. Meniscus repair. Still have 2 more weeks of therapy for that. Looked at the weather and all for today last night. Decided I wanted to get one more sit in before the end of the year.

I went to the block I killed the buck in my profile pic. Same block we put a lock on in and the guy put a ladder stand right beside it. The wind was right for me to sit on the other side of the oak flat. Got in right at break of day. Beautiful morning!!

Didn't see anything. About 8:30 decided to walk down in a bottom I hadn't been in and look around. Was quite walking since all the rain. Didn't see any sign, at all.

I figured, well, for old times sake I'll go sit on the side we had the lock on hung. BTW, since my knee isn't 100% I am sitting on the ground.

As I am approaching the area I'm headed I see this.

IMG_9166.jpeg

Man! That's fresh!! I walk over to the ladder stand that's still there. Of course no sign since all the rain. I go about 30 yards east and build my ground blind.

IMG_9169.jpeg

This is my view.

IMG_9168.jpeg

The ladder stand is just to the right of frame about 30/35 yards away.

I give a couple of doe bleats, then a grunt sequence and get settled in.

Not 5 minutes later I look left, the view above, and spot a deer coming slowly my way. It walks over toward the ladder stand and I think it caught my trail because it turned around. I got my muzzle loader ready, and as soon as I see shoulder, BOOM! When the smoke clears, literally 😆😆😆, I have such a feeling of relief/joy/thankfulness, etc, etc, etc.

If you look to the left of the tall tree in the middle you can see it laying there.

I didn't think I was going to get one this year, but the good Lord had different plans. Thank you Jesus for meat for the freezer. 🙌🏼

IMG_9170.jpeg

In the same place I killed my biggest buck ever, and I enjoyed it just as much!!

The hat worked. 😜

IMG_9174.jpeg

Thank y'all for being here. It does this 'ol boy good to share, even if it is a TN 11 point. 😆😆

Merry Christmas, and a blessed, prosperous, Happy New Year!!

Last edited:

Snake

I was beginning to wonder if I would be able to post in here this year. 😩 Been a crazy season. I've only been able to get in the woods 4 or 5 times. Hadn't seen a deer in the woods yet. Had knee surgery 2 weeks ago. Meniscus repair. Still have 2 more weeks of therapy for that. Looked at the weather and all for today last night. Decided I wanted to get one more sit in before the end of the year.

I went to the block I killed the buck in my profile pic. Same block we put a lock on in and the guy put a ladder stand right beside it. The wind was right for me to sit on the other side of the oak flat. Got in right at break of day. Beautiful morning!!

Didn't see anything. About 8:30 decided to walk down in a bottom I hadn't been in and look around. Was quite walking since all the rain. Didn't see any sign, at all.

I figured, well, for old times sake I'll go sit on the side we had the lock on hung. BTW, since my knee isn't 100% I am sitting in the ground.

View attachment 209048

Man! That's fresh!! I walk over to the ladder stand that's still there. Of course no sign since all the rain. I go about 30 yards east and build my ground blind.

View attachment 209050

This is my view.

View attachment 209054

I give a couple of dow bleats, then a grunt sequence and get settled in.

Not 5 minutes later I look left, the view above, and spot a deer coming slowly my way. It walks over toward the ladder stand and I think it caught my trail because it turned around. I got my muzzle loader ready, and as soon as I see shoulder, BOOM! When the smoke clears, literally 😆😆😆, I have such a feeling of relief/joy/thankfulness, etc, etc, etc.

If you look to the left of the tall tree in the middle you can see it laying there.

I didn't think I was going to get one this year, but the good Lord had different plans. Thank you Jesus for meat for the freezer. 🙌🏼

View attachment 209057

In the same place I killed my biggest buck ever, and I enjoyed it just as much!!

The hat worked. 😜

View attachment 209058

Thank y'all for being here. It does this 'ol boy good to share, even if it is a TN 11 point. 😆😆

Congrats on some fine eating brother !

Creek

I figured, well, for old times sake I'll go sit on the side we had the lock on hung. BTW, since my knee isn't 100% I am sitting on the ground.

View attachment 209048

View attachment 209050

This is my view.

View attachment 209054

I give a couple of dow bleats, then a grunt sequence and get settled in.

View attachment 209057

The hat worked. 😜

View attachment 209058

Oh, thank goodness, you're right, that camo hat did the trick 😅
Congrats on your kill.

Latest posts