2022-24 Hunting season proposals

mike243

83BC54C4-58FF-40D5-A614-B1FA5C96CF96.png

DC219

I would be EXTREMELY opposed to a one buck limit. There is no need for it in most parts of TN (but would not be opposed in areas that might benefit). The data shows a continuously increasing harvested buck age structure and a decline in yearling buck and button buck harvests. In addition, I think a one buck limit would be counterproductive, as many hunters would stop hunting after killing their one buck, reducing the possibility hunters taking enough antlerless deer to keep densities at necessary levels (in higher density areas).

And as I've stated many times, I strongly disagree with the practice of knocking down deer densities to "slow" the spread of CWD. This may be "throwing the baby out with the bathwater." Nothing is going to stop the spread of CWD. It is eventually going to spread through the entire whitetail's range. Only Nature is going to be able to solve the CWD problem (by developing immunity naturally). Knocking back deer densities will just drive hunters out of the sport, and hunters are THE key piece of deer management everywhere. Without hunters, there is no deer management.
Agreed 100%. Besides, I'm opposed to giving up a right (to harvest two bucks) I presently have unless it is clearly for the benefit of wildlife management.

kentuckylakebuck1

I guess that's where we disagree. The turkey population is definitely down, but I disagree that the situation is so dire that we need to ruin the on-going studies before they have reached a conclusion. A couple of years of data collection is not going to end the turkey population.
a COUPLE of years?!?!? lololol

scn

Do people not understand that good science requires years of data collection? You won't get an answer looking at one year of data.
The problem, Bryan, is that it was supposed to be a three year study that has already been extended for an extra two years. They are studying, and apparently coming up with nothing, while the population is going down the drain.

They have been given plenty of time to STUDY this mess. It is past time for them to try to do something about it like surrounding states are at least trying.

MickThompson

I seen forestry and GF guys out . The week before and the first week of turkey season. They was burning idea nesting areas here. I dont understand this because our season opened 2 weeks later. I would have thought they burnt a few turkey nest up. We used too have a 3 point rule on one side. But after cdw hit. Not antler restriction now. I know coyotes in my area are a big problem. The hunting club i am trapping. I took 30 coyotes. 40+ coons 20+ oppsums and 1 bobcat. But i think our troubles ares hogs coons and coyotes.
You burn when the weather allows. I'd much rather get my burns done in March than backed up into April or not at all

paboom

I'd love to see TN go to a traditional muzzleloader season. I would prefer iron sights and open breach but would settle for just iron sights. With the current regs and modern MLs, i don't feel under gunned at all during ML season.

The gun season is quite long here so there are plenty of opportunities with your more modern weapons.

ronnycl

last time I checked Tennessee wasn't located in ohio, kentucky, missouri so let Tennessee monitor the herd for what's best for Tennessee. You want a set of big antlers go to the woods and find you a big deer and quit blaming regulations. Tn has some big deer, but you won't find them on the couch

kentuckylakebuck1

Do people not understand that good science requires years of data collection? You won't get an answer looking at one year of data.
oh i understand it takes years but, you said a couple in your post, you and i both know thats laughable! it has already been going on SEVERAL years! its time to do something NOW!

BSK

The problem, Bryan, is that it was supposed to be a three year study that has already been extended for an extra two years. They are studying, and apparently coming up with nothing, while the population is going down the drain.

They have been given plenty of time to STUDY this mess. It is past time for them to try to do something about it like surrounding states are at least trying.
But if you're coming up with nothing - no known cause - then what should the remedial action be? Trying to something just for show, without actually understanding the problem, is not good science.

paboom

So you're telling us older hunters, who don't have the eye-sight for iron sights, that they can't hunt?
PLENTY of options for those who have vision challenges. Peeps, fiber optics, globes etc. I've set up numerous people who have vision challenges in Colorado (requires open sights for ML) and they can successfully hunt.

TheLBLman

But if you're coming up with nothing - no known cause - then what should the remedial action be? Trying to something just for show, without actually understanding the problem, is not good science.

I really don't understand your thinking this (in this circumstance), much less saying it.

It's much like someone bleeding out from an arterial bleed, as you say, wait, we must determine the exact cause of this, before we address treatment, as we watch the patient die from our doing nothing.

We do know the turkey populations in long established flocks have been trending downward for years. And we do know several regulatory changes that would be beneficial, while continuing to study all the causal factors.

The main turkey "study" being mentioned, only involves a relative few of TN's counties. Whatever is done in the other counties would have little to no effect on the study in those counties being studied.

All this aside, there are decades-long data to study from both TWRA and neighboring states.
Many these other states have and are taking significant regulatory actions to slow the declining turkey populations, as they simultaneously "study" the causal factors.

I have generally been a strong supporter of TWRA, especially the county wildlife officers, but there is much to fault TWRA with their seemingly greater interest in non-resident license sales than managing the resource of our resident turkeys. What about sustainability of the resource that is the primary causal factor for people to buy licenses, both resident & non-resident?

I realize that operating revenue is a part of sustaining the TWRA, but in not making a regulatory change as simple as just opening the turkey season a week later . . . . . . .

Is TWRA killing the goose that's been laying their golden eggs?

TheLBLman

PLENTY of options for those who have vision challenges. Peeps, fiber optics, globes etc. I've set up numerous people who have vision challenges in Colorado (requires open sights for ML) and they can successfully hunt.

Use whatever you like.
I prefer a low-magnification traditional scope.
It's what works best for me.

Why should I be punished because you are more a primitive weapon enthusiast than a deer hunter-manager?

paboom

Use whatever you like.
I prefer a low-magnification traditional scope.
It's what works best for me.

Why should I be punished because you are more a primitive weapon enthusiast than a deer hunter-manager?
It has nothing to do with being a primitive weapon enthusiast. The intent of the muzzleloading season was to limit the weapon's effectiveness to reduce the amount of animals taken during the peak of the rut. (when most ML seasons occur). With technology advancements, that's no longer the case.

BSK

That I would have to see to believe (no pun intended). Anything within 3 feet of my face is a total blur. I have a hard time believing peep, globe or fiber optic sights would work for my vision.

BSK

I really don't understand your thinking this (in this circumstance), much less saying it.

It's much like someone bleeding out from an arterial bleed, as you say, wait, we must determine the exact cause of this, before we address treatment, as we watch the patient die from our doing nothing.
But in that situation, you see the bleeding artery. You know what the threat to life is. In our turkey situation it's like a patient covered in blood but no obvious wounds. Where is the blood coming from? What do you do then?

We do know the turkey populations in long established flocks have been trending downward for years. And we do know several regulatory changes that would be beneficial, while continuing to study all the causal factors.
Do we know "several regulatory changes that would be beneficial?" I'm not convinced of that.

BSK

It has nothing to do with being a primitive weapon enthusiast. The intent of the muzzleloading season was to limit the weapon's effectiveness to reduce the amount of animals taken during the peak of the rut. (when most ML seasons occur). With technology advancements, that's no longer the case.
And exactly what harm is being done to the state's deer population structure by those current MZ harvests?

And BTW, the "intent" of the muzzleloader season was not to "limit the weapon's effectiveness." It was a season created because they could. It was season created to provide extra hunting opportunities that at the time would have minimal negative impact on a herd in the midst of restoration (because of the lack of participation, not the limits of the weapon). We are now long past worries about harming a restoring/growing deer herd.

Latest posts