2016 Garden Pics

catman529

WTM":2e0a8bbf said:
you can get rid of the bermuda but you have to deep till it once and rake all of the roots out there and dispose of them without using roundup.(one spray of roundup after summer crops then plant winter cover cops work best) another thing i do to combat the bermuda and weeds is after plants come up light till or hoe the weeds and remove. then lay down 3-6 inches of wheat straw. it takes a bale/1000 sq ft or so. wheat straw doesnt rob nitrogen like other mulches and it is a good clay soil fixer when till under after harvest.

the bad thing about bermuda is that you will have to hoe or use roundup around the edges to keep the runners out. the only way to keep bermuda out from the edges is to lay a border 8inches deep around the perimeter such as pavers.

the bad thing about mowing and weed eating the rows is that you will never get rid of the weeds and bermuda with that method and the weeds will still rob your veg plants of nitrogen and other needed nutrients.
last summer when I first tilled the plot, I raked up and bagged 60 gallons of Bermuda junk. That didn't even cut it in half, and I tilled it a couple more times early in the spring.

I'm thinking either plastic sheeting over winter, or maybe even roundup in the fall.

I expect it to take at least a couple years to get rid of most of the Bermuda. And constant maintenance to keep runners from coming across the edges. This is why I have always hated Bermuda grass, and decided to just go the weedeater route this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

DaveB":3gp4yp0j said:
Hey Catman-

100 pound pumkins for sure?
if vine borers don't kill the plants, I hope to have at least one or two pumpkins over 100. I have 3 vines and will probably only keep 1 fruit on each vine.

catman529

Sweet corn is planted, fed and watered... Room to weedeat between rows. Will have to pull weeds by hand between rows.

71f41583e8c2988c3dc886aaa713aca3.jpg

catman529

MickThompson":2vlev9aj said:
You should have little green rows in 7-10 days. Are you getting any rain out of these storms?
just a little yesterday but not much. Been so dry that's why I watered the rows. But it's next to a pond so they should have more than enough water when the roots go down

Latest posts