2 buck limit question

AT Hiker

bloodtrailing":2n0cue3w said:
What has impacted deer hunting more negatively are TV hunters. Score, hit list, smackdown, trophy at any cost was not the norm when hunting was more fun.

Hunting is less fun for you now?
Personally when I started getting into deer hunting about 25+ years ago I believed I watched Buckmasters. It seemed like they were killing some giant bucks, I was lucky to see any deer...let alone a buck. Deer hunting for me was a blast, getting up early with my granddad, camping at the farm, choosing hunting over a sleep over at friends house, etc. Now, hunting is still fun but the nostalgia of it is fading. I hope to bring it back when my daughter is old enough.
I still hunt with my granddad granddad and enjoy every minute of it, it's just different now that I'm older and have responsibilities, not because of TV or goobers who have a "smack down hit list buck named Jerry".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX300mag

TheLBLman":2p6qho2j said:
Actually, your imposition suggests you don't believe we should have any game laws at all?
I know you don't really think that; just saying I believe you're dividing hunters with a false imposition of buck limits carrying so much weight.
There has been relatively little change in our buck limits since 1998.
Yet our statewide opportunity to kill deer has increased dramatically over these years.

Of, that's silly. But as our statewide opportunity to kill deer has increased dramatically over the these years (3 buck years limit), I felt that a reduction was unnecessary-especially considering the negative impact on those that wanted things to stay as they were.

Now we're getting somewhere, TheLBLman. I see where the misunderstanding about me (and why many like me) were against lowering the limit unnecessarily.

You're making an incorrect ASSUMPTION that 3 is MY preference-that's not the case. In all reality, I would have gladly traded a one buck limit for more (or any rifle) antlerless opportunity 10-15 years ago. Some things happened as I transitioned to hunting TN almost exclusively that opened my eyes. I've seen many indicators that made worry that TN would follow (albeit more slowly) than other states which grew more and more obsessed with antlers. I still have my PERSONAL preference, but that's for ME-not everyone else. That's why I've only pulled the trigger on one buck in the last five years. Even with my limited skill I have had multiple opportunities each year to kill more. As the opportunity continued to get better and better, what right would do I have imposing that on someone who looks at things differently than I do?

Ironically, the tipping point for me was in 2006/2007 when the most vocal proponent of the limit reduction on this site at the time was calling for a reduction while writing articles about killing THREE bucks in a single season. Although it wasn't intentional, it was viewed as hypocritical by many-especially those who were already practicing trigger restraint on bucks VOLUNTARILY.

knightrider

TheLBLman":3dqmhukb said:
Between 1998 and the 2017 deer season (that's actually 20 seasons),
for how many of those years could anyone kill 3 bucks during our main "deer season" (referred to as "rifle" season)?
Just saying, the buck limit was in fact 2 for most hunters for most of these years.

TX300mag":3dqmhukb said:
It's been many years since I've felt the need to impose my beliefs on anyone else-especially when buck hunting was getting better and better each year.
How is anyone's preference for a 3-buck (yours?) vs. a 2-buck (or even a 1-buck or an 11-buck) limit
whatever preference any less or more "imposing" of one's beliefs?

There were many hunters in 1998 demanding the buck limit go back to 11 because it was their right to kill that many, and no one else had any right to "impose" a different preference on them. And they had the legitimate argument that we had more deer, more bucks than ever before, some even claiming there was no reason for there to even be a buck limit.

Actually, your imposition suggests you don't believe we should have any game laws at all?
I know you don't really think that; just saying I believe you're dividing hunters with a false imposition of buck limits carrying so much weight.
There has been relatively little change in our buck limits since 1998.
Yet our statewide opportunity to kill deer has increased dramatically over these years.

knightrider":3dqmhukb said:
. . . . you have to be a politician , I know not one person who was in favor of losing opportunities.
And you have to be a "trophy" buck hunter? :) As in "any" buck is a better trophy than a doe?

I also know not one person who would be in favor of losing opportunities.
But I do know many (actually most) who believe they've gained deer hunting opportunities over the past decade.
The opportunities to kill a deer, not just a buck, have increased dramatically.
you may just be correct on that this year as we have lost so many deer we will not be shooting any does on our properties due to lack of having any to pass on some fawns in the spring. our surplus of deer this year is nothing, I mean zero so its bucks only. yes in a county where im allowed to kill three does only (no bowhunting) I lost 1/3 of buck hunting oppurtunities and just so you know I am one of those 2% that killed my three every year not to beat on my chest but to feed my family of six, we can eat a lot of deer lol

Winchester

knightrider":2359yhea said:
TheLBLman":2359yhea said:
I've said this many times, but will say it again:

The average TN deer hunter doesn't even kill a single buck as often as every 3 years.
Most years, he kills nothing, not even a doe.

Most of us posting on TNdeer.com kill several deer every year,
and we must sound like a selfish lot to any of the more average deer hunters who stumble upon this site.

Fortunately for those younger, less avid, and less accomplished TN deer hunters,
their opportunity to kill "a" deer, any deer, buck or doe,
has never been better,
in part because of our 2-buck limit,
in larger part because of more either-sex regs replacing the old "buck only" regs.
you have to be a politician , I know not one person who was in favor of losing opportunities

AGREED!!
We all saw the pics of 3 bucks killed in the same season by many who scream the 2 buck limit is the way to go! If it was/is needed and they have known it all along what in the world were they doing killing 3 bucks???
I dont shoot young bucks myself, but I also didnt want to impose my selfishness on others who are happy shooting them, just so I could feel like my chances were better if I restricted others.
The deer herd and hunting (mature bucks included) has been steadily improving in TN for decades now, and these monster bucks that have been getting killed consistently for the last 5-7 yrs had absolutely nothing to do with a 2 buck limit, they all resulted from that big ol 3 buck limit we have had.
While the 2 buck limit definitely wont hurt TN's hunting any more than the 3 buck limit did, it sure did cause a LOT of unneeded and unwanted division of hunters in TN. IMO in the times we live in the last thing we as hunters/managers need to do is cause division where there is absolutely no reason for it!

Mike Belt

Agreed and now it's a moot point anyway. We have a 2 buck limit and we might as well make the most of it. The 2/3/11 limit makes good fodder for argument but that's about all it amounts to. As to the point of those crying for a 2 buck limit while killing 3/year... sometimes it takes a mandatory rule to make people follow the rules they want and not those that they've been living by.

TX300mag

Winchester":33ee13qd said:
knightrider":33ee13qd said:
TheLBLman":33ee13qd said:
I've said this many times, but will say it again:

The average TN deer hunter doesn't even kill a single buck as often as every 3 years.
Most years, he kills nothing, not even a doe.

Most of us posting on TNdeer.com kill several deer every year,
and we must sound like a selfish lot to any of the more average deer hunters who stumble upon this site.

Fortunately for those younger, less avid, and less accomplished TN deer hunters,
their opportunity to kill "a" deer, any deer, buck or doe,
has never been better,
in part because of our 2-buck limit,
in larger part because of more either-sex regs replacing the old "buck only" regs.
you have to be a politician , I know not one person who was in favor of losing opportunities

AGREED!!
We all saw the pics of 3 bucks killed in the same season by many who scream the 2 buck limit is the way to go! If it was/is needed and they have known it all along what in the world were they doing killing 3 bucks???
I dont shoot young bucks myself, but I also didnt want to impose my selfishness on others who are happy shooting them, just so I could feel like my chances were better if I restricted others.
The deer herd and hunting (mature bucks included) has been steadily improving in TN for decades now, and these monster bucks that have been getting killed consistently for the last 5-7 yrs had absolutely nothing to do with a 2 buck limit, they all resulted from that big ol 3 buck limit we have had.
While the 2 buck limit definitely wont hurt TN's hunting any more than the 3 buck limit did, it sure did cause a LOT of unneeded and unwanted division of hunters in TN. IMO in the times we live in the last thing we as hunters/managers need to do is cause division where there is absolutely no reason for it!

Post of the year right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN RDG RNR

Gradualism is now the tactic.

The one buck lobby knows that there is little chance of the limit being cut to one in the near future. Bonus bucks and button bucks are just the beginning. Seasons will be shortened a day or week at a time next and it will be sold as only to benefit of the "average hunter". ;)

Winchester

TN RDG RNR":1mzmeu5b said:
Gradualism is now the tactic.

The one buck lobby knows that there is little chance of the limit being cut to one in the near future. Bonus bucks and button bucks are just the beginning. Seasons will be shortened a day or week at a time next and it will be sold as only to benefit of the "average hunter". ;)

Agreed, you always have a certain % of people who cant achieve what some others do, and they are always looking for ways to try and level the playing field or tip it to their advantage. No matter that things are obviously fine by all indications, even improving steadily! Its the simple fact that they are not achieving success at the same rate as some others, therefore obviously something needs to change , RIGHT!!!! ;)

casjoker

The original question is loaded and no one is ever happy with any decision they feel they didn't have a part in. I know I fill out some sort of survey from TWRA ever year and I also submit my thoughts to them via email regularly. Not sure it has any affect but it at least makes me feel like I have some sort of voice. Kind of like voting I guess.

The buck limit, in the end, has little to no effect on hunting chances/opportunities for 99% of hunters. It's the doe limits and lack of public access. If people want to be concerned about something lets look at all the leasing and other resource hoardings that has become so prevalent in the last 20 years.

$7,000-15,000 for a duck lease $5000 or more for a deer lease. Farmers (who can blame them) limiting their land to whatever guide is paying top dollar.

People talk about the suburban trophy hunter being behind the 2 deer limit when you really need to worry about how that same hunter is locking up land for their private clubs. Starting to happen with fishing too. Ask around and see what's happening on the South Holston, around Bristol. A bunch of out of town lawyers are calling the IRS on local small-timers who charge a small fee ($5-10) so you can launch your boat.

I have been looking at buying some land in West TN. Two different realtors have told me all the lawyers, doctors, pro athletes, and music industry people are driving the cost through the roof. $hitty swampland is over $2000 an acre because someone wants a private duck club they use 3 weekends a year.

Keep worrying about shooting 2 bucks vs 3 bucks and you won't have anyplace to hunt in 10 years.

Doskil

Price controls on what one can charge for a lease?

You make a good point about access.

TN RDG RNR

casjoker":3dt59ko4 said:
The original question is loaded and no one is ever happy with any decision they feel they didn't have a part in. I know I fill out some sort of survey from TWRA ever year and I also submit my thoughts to them via email regularly. Not sure it has any affect but it at least makes me feel like I have some sort of voice. Kind of like voting I guess.

The buck limit, in the end, has little to no effect on hunting chances/opportunities for 99% of hunters. It's the doe limits and lack of public access. If people want to be concerned about something lets look at all the leasing and other resource hoardings that has become so prevalent in the last 20 years.

$7,000-15,000 for a duck lease $5000 or more for a deer lease. Farmers (who can blame them) limiting their land to whatever guide is paying top dollar.

People talk about the suburban trophy hunter being behind the 2 deer limit when you really need to worry about how that same hunter is locking up land for their private clubs. Starting to happen with fishing too. Ask around and see what's happening on the South Holston, around Bristol. A bunch of out of town lawyers are calling the IRS on local small-timers who charge a small fee ($5-10) so you can launch your boat.

I have been looking at buying some land in West TN. Two different realtors have told me all the lawyers, doctors, pro athletes, and music industry people are driving the cost through the roof. $hitty swampland is over $2000 an acre because someone wants a private duck club they use 3 weekends a year.

Keep worrying about shooting 2 bucks vs 3 bucks and you won't have anyplace to hunt in 10 years.

Not sure what you plan to do about private individuals buying, selling or leasing property but would like to hear it.

When the Wildlife Commission unnecessarily change game laws against the advice and input of TWRA it makes me suspicious of what's really going on? 3-1=2 that's one chance/opportunity lost for 100% of hunters unless your WP and use fuzzy math. :D

Winchester

When the Wildlife Commission unnecessarily change game laws against the advice and input of TWRA it makes me suspicious of what's really going on? 3-1=2 that's one chance/opportunity lost for 100% of hunters unless your WP and use fuzzy math. :D

Facts just the facts!!

Latest posts