2 buck limit question

THEdonkey0515

No, I was against the the change to the 2 buck limit.

After a couple seasons its kinda grown on me, two bucks is fine with me very few seasons i killed 3 bucks anyhow.

mattmillard510

I think we are moving in the right direction and I've talked to many that were initially against it, that are coming around now. We truly are saving some younger deer.

The hairline rule is hard on us the hunters but I think it's doing it's intended purpose, only shooting when you're positive it's an adult doe rather than a male fawn.

It'd be extreme but if Tennessee wanted to see a big change in the harvest of younger deer, they should restructure our gun/muzzleloader seasons some. Having the whole month of peak breeding time open for a gun is a little excessive. The pressure the deer experience during two consecutive months of gun season is unreal. I think hunting as a whole would improve if we could compromise there a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doskil

Sounds like most folks have continued to deer hunt whether they liked the change or not.

Poleaxe

With every species that inhabits this planet there are freaks of nature. Like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Phelps, the giant Great white off the gulf coast, hogzilla, world record croc, and Tennessee world record record are examples. They pop up in times or places that goes against nature. So to think this state could compete with other trophy states is like thinking that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow actually exists. It was a freak of nature that gives the uneducated a leg for debate to the educated. So the answer to your question. The two buck limit was an inconvenience but I adapted to serve the serve the political powers at be, but to even think, suggest, or debate a single buck brings idiocy into hunting but shows the greed and inconsideration among who we are as hunters.

Urban_Hunter

I'm all for it and probably for the wrong reasons. I have heard 3 gun shots this year, two right at daylight and 1 right at dusk. It is so difficult to catch those breaking the law that you have to punish those who are abiding just to see an impact in the herd. I would put myself in the "mostly" selective category. I've killed 3 bucks in the last 5 years. I really enjoy seeing deer when I go hunting and shooting less of them has made an obvious impact. I know I'm combining two completely separate issues but I see only benefits from the 2 buck rule. I also don't mind the button buck change. Most everyone can identify a yearling, if there is any doubt don't shoot a yearling.

barkscraper

The limits the TWRA sets on the limits have very little effect on what I kill or how many. I have my own expectations and limits on what I am going to take for the year. If TWRA set a limit of 10 bucks there would be some try and take 10 bucks. Was on a lease one time that everyone tried to limit out BROWN AND DOWN bunch and after 3 years they could not find a buck and was so stupid to ask where did all the bucks go. I had for all 3 years tried to tell them the 2400 acre lease had a set number of deer but BROWN AND DOWN prevailed, so no 2 bucks is fine I go hunting not killing. yea 1 buck would be fine too I just don't look down on the ones that want 3

TheLBLman

This is my understanding:

The real truth is the majority of hunters had little preference whatever the buck limit.
Those in opposition to the buck limit, whether it be 2 or 3 or 1, remain a small minority of TN's deer hunters.

But for years, unbiased surveys had been trending towards lower buck limits, even when the buck limit was raised a few years ago from that long-term "2-3" to simply 3.

The more recent unbiased surveys showed a slight preference for a 2-buck limit over either 1 or 3.

But again, the majority of TN's deer hunters are more interested in simply knowing the rules, including the buck limit,
more than caring whatever the buck limit.

And, historically, going back to 1998, TN had a 2-buck limit for rifle season until it was very recently increased to a simple 3 for the year, then changed to it's current simply 2 for the year. There would have simply been less controversy had TWRA never increased the limit to 3 for a relatively short period of time. IMO, THAT was the mistake, not today's 2-buck limit, which is basically what we've had since 1998.

Understand that most of us posting here on TNdeer.com are among the most avid and accomplished deer hunters in TN, but we're a small minority of TN's hunters. The majority have a hard time understanding anyone's outrage over the buck limit being 2 instead of 3, since that majority typically doesn't even kill "a" buck annually.

Many of them see us more avid hunters as a selfish lot, as when we regularly kill multiple bucks annually, there is unquestionably less opportunity for they young and less accomplished and/or less avid hunters. IMO, the simple 2-buck limit strikes the best balance considering all factors, which included the rising buck harvest of TN's early muzzleloader season (for which younger and less accomplished hunters were less participating). Many believed too many of our available bucks were being killed before the main deer season even opened. The simple 2-buck limit was in part an effort to reduce that trend.

But this was still just a carburetor adjustment, not an engine overhaul.

mike243

Not 1 time have I or any of my hunting buddy's been surveyed as to what we like,3 bucks was a great number but then the trophy bow hunters tried to get a 1 buck limit,they keep pushing that every body they know prefers 1 or no more than 2,BS they want a trophy no matter what the real biologists say,TWRA said the herd was improving and the numbers supported that but some want over nite reform and dam the the folks who like to hunt and kill a deer with out having to travel to another unit ,bow hunting trophyist's suck :poke: :rotf: never seen a real deer hunter try to control what others around him or her killed so they could get what that want,hunt smarter and don't try to control every body else to reach your goals,

TX300mag

No, of course it hasn't "ruined" my hunting.

It was completely unnecessary and really divided a lot of hunters. Tennessee was already making huge strides VOLUNTARILY. I know several people who really feel like the suburban hobbyist (or town hunters as one friend says) have forced their will on others because of the trophy hunting influence or product marketing TV shoes. Sure there will be some benefits to killing fewer bucks, but at what expense to the hunting culture?

It doesn't affect me personally as I don't fill a buck tag most years anyway, but I'm glad that many hunters are honest enough to admit they needed government regulation to show them the benefit of trigger restraint, but they would have likely caught on as voluntary restraint was becoming more and more common. And others weren't going to exercise that voluntary trigger restraint until they felt like EVERYONE was required to. Several of the most vocal proponents of taking away the third buck opportunity from their neighbors would kill 3 bucks themselves-in my eyes a display of hypocrisy although unintentional I guess.

I really try hard not to laugh when I hear "just hunt and be happy" from the guys that just three years ago could not be happy knowing that someone else (or 1 percent of everyone else in reality) might shoot a more bucks than they thought they should (or one that didn't meet their standards).

I believe management is a personal decision and best left up to the hunters. I've hunted QDM and TDM since 1992 and have learned that most can't agree on what is best anyway. About 10 or 15 years ago I realized it was inconsistent with my limited-government beliefs to try to employ government regulations to try to force my personal preference on my neighbor. The #bucklivesmatter movement will come to that realization when two bucks isn't good enough for some, or OH, KY, IL, TX, etc does something "better."

Ronald Reagan once said of Tennessee deer hunting: "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." :D take all this with a grain of salt. Many of my best friends and hunting buds are two-buckers and they know it's nothing more than a different view and in no way affects our relationships. TN is still my favorite state to hunt and has the best hunting culture of the states I have experience with.

Since you asked... :D

#bucklivesmatter
#hornsupdontshoot
#spreadthebucksaround

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

As an aside of clarification (and perhaps the envy of most hunters from most other states):

Very few states have as long a modern rifle season as does Tennessee
---- this long rifle season is where the most opportunity is being provided to the most hunters.
For most, the "real" opportunity is the number of weekends available to hunt,
not whatever the buck limit.

We currently have about 3 times the modern rifle hunting days as neighboring Kentucky.

Heck, some states don't even allow deer hunting with a modern rifle.

But regarding annual buck limits, "two" seems to be the norm for most other states,
so nothing bizarre about TN having a 2-buck limit (especially with modern rifles, and a very long deer season).

TX300mag":i8gmp8xh said:
TN is still my favorite state to hunt and has the best hunting culture of the states I have experience with.
There you go :)
And despite some regulatory confusion, our statewide regs are remarkably "simple" compared to those of many other states.
Take a look at neighboring Virginia's deer regs, almost a completely different set of rules for every county.

Latest posts