2.75 inch waterfowl loads...

3006hollowpoint

Are they common? i rarely can find em! and my duck/goose gun has a full winchoke in it. and only a 2 and 3/4 inch chamber.
are steel shot loads in this size common/useful?

CBU93

They will definitely work on tight holes such as flooded timber and slash water in fields if you hold your shots till they are in the decoys...they are also a less expensive option for running down cripples. They are good for woodies and teal early season as well...number fours would be my suggestion in steel for these situations.

I generally see them more on sale after season and during the summer at Wal Mart.

If you are wanting to shoot an older model gun I would suggest spending the $$$ on a better non toxic than steel in the 2.75".

Taylor

with steel, I really think as the ad slogan says, speed kills. They are faster. I think you will be surprised how well 2 3/4 loads do. I #5 shot in that non-toxic 2 3/4 load patterned crazy-good in my scattergun.

rukiddin

2 3/4" shells are fairly easy to find. Any big name store should have some. Although this time of the year, most places have been picked over.

I shoot everything from 2 3/4" to 3 1/2". As far as success on killin' ducks goes, I can't tell a difference.

If you pattern your gun and find the best steel load, and you shoot the birds when their actually supposed to be shot, steel will kill'em as good as anything.

3006hollowpoint

Thanks CBU and rukiddin, I was just trying to figure out what's best to shoot when in doubt, and without a fancy, game-specific gun. My new O/U I'm getting has 4 chokes that comes with it but I don't know what they'll shoot, or what they even are.

Latest posts