1st kill

Ladys man

Other post kind of goes along with this. I did not grow up Turkey hunting and really my first yr was during covid and was unsuccessful. So I have never killed a bird. Last few yrs have been in college now that Ive graduated I hope to change that this year.

I did have a chance several yrs ago I tried in the spring 1 afternoon once I got off work. I crested a hill and there were several gobblers there I was within 20 yds of, but I didn't shoot not wanting to kill my first Turkey that way.

What are tips for us that have not killed yet or your first kill experience?

Last edited:

Iglow

First experience? It's more what I didn't do than did. I knew roughly where he was cause I roosted him the night before. Next morning I was in there real early and probably got too close but the dark covered my mistake. I was less than 100 yds. It starts to get light and I yelped 3 times and he gobbled and gobbled again and again. It gets lighter and he gobbled again then the next time he gobbled it sounded different so I knew he was on the ground. (but I didn't hear him fly down?) I was scared to call cause I was scared I'd do it wrong and screw up so I did nothing.
Everything is quiet for a while and I figured I had to call or he'd move off somewhere so I yelp 3 times and he blows up just out of sight. I got the gun pointed his way and I'm shaking real bad, looking. He gobbles again and I'm looking and shaking then his white head pops up about 35 yds away. Boom. Never in any kind of hunting is "less is more" than turkey hunting.

Boll Weevil

Learn all you can about the birds themselves; biology, habits, what they eat, where they rest and behavior in general.

megalomaniac

Appreciate every gobble and analyze every hunt for whether it was successful or unsuccessful. Appreciate the fact you can do everything right, and the bird can still win. And that's OK!

Yesterday morn I hunted public down here for a bird I've had gobble to me 2 out of 4 prior hunts. He's SUPER vocal... like will gobble back even 500y away. Problem is, he's on the opposite side of a 500y flat swampy bottom that is thick as stink. Like so thick you can only see 10 yards, and if you sit in it, you can't even swing your barrel without hitting wild rhododendron branches if he flanks. Last Sunday, he didn't answer me, so I pushed into the middle of that bottom and actually found a little knoll that's about 30y wide and 100y long that is a bit more open. Scratching in leaves there. Perfect place to kill him.

I set up there yest morn, and he gave me a single gobble from 350y away. About 30m later, he answered a call from 200y away. 20 min later, he free gobbled from 100y away. Flipped the safety off as this bird was already dead. But nope, he came out 75y away on the other side of the knoll and stood there for 45 minutes free gobbling over 30 times. I called a couple times as soft as I could, not even sure he heard. Scratched leaves, purred, etc. Just couldn't get him to budge in 30y more for the kill. Finally a real hen came up and they headed off together.

Was a great hunt, one I'll remember and appreciate forever, and it didn't even end up with me getting the bird. But now I've got one more piece of the puzzle for that bird. Friday my son is coming home from college. I'm going to put him in the middle of the knoll and I'm going to stay 35y back and call. I think there is a good chance he will be in trouble if he is still in the area!

Iglow

Appreciate every gobble and analyze every hunt for whether it was successful or unsuccessful. Appreciate the fact you can do everything right, and the bird can still win. And that's OK!

Yesterday morn I hunted public down here for a bird I've had gobble to me 2 out of 4 prior hunts. He's SUPER vocal... like will gobble back even 500y away. Problem is, he's on the opposite side of a 500y flat swampy bottom that is thick as stink. Like so thick you can only see 10 yards, and if you sit in it, you can't even swing your barrel without hitting wild rhododendron branches if he flanks. Last Sunday, he didn't answer me, so I pushed into the middle of that bottom and actually found a little knoll that's about 30y wide and 100y long that is a bit more open. Scratching in leaves there. Perfect place to kill him.

I set up there yest morn, and he gave me a single gobble from 350y away. About 30m later, he answered a call from 200y away. 20 min later, he free gobbled from 100y away. Flipped the safety off as this bird was already dead. But nope, he came out 75y away on the other side of the knoll and stood there for 45 minutes free gobbling over 30 times. I called a couple times as soft as I could, not even sure he heard. Scratched leaves, purred, etc. Just couldn't get him to budge in 30y more for the kill. Finally a real hen came up and they headed off together.

Was a great hunt, one I'll remember and appreciate forever, and it didn't even end up with me getting the bird. But now I've got one more piece of the puzzle for that bird. Friday my son is coming home from college. I'm going to put him in the middle of the knoll and I'm going to stay 35y back and call. I think there is a good chance he will be in trouble if he is still in the area!
No animal is more fickle and unpredictable than calling gobblers imo, I had one once on the river that gobbled good ,flew down and gobbled moving my way and I'm thinking this is gonna happen here shortly and I'm feeling pretty good about myself then everything goes quiet. 45 mins I sit there still as death, only calling once. I'm sitting there sweating it out and then feel like something is looking at me, I sloowwly ease my head to the right and shift my eyes as far right as I can and there he is at 25 yards staring at me...I'm done, he's won and he clucks a couple of times then he just fades away.

Rakkin6

Other post kind of goes along with this. I did not grow up Turkey hunting and really my first yr was during covid and was unsuccessful. So I have never killed a bird. Last few yrs have been in college now that Ive graduated I hope to change that this year.

I did have a chance several yrs ago I tried in the spring 1 afternoon once I got off work. I crested a hill and there were several gobblers there I was within 20 yds of, but I didn't shoot not wanting to kill my first Turkey that way.

Just my .02, I have had really good luck between 1000 and 1300 hours. It seems like a lot of hunters leaves the woods and at the same time hens starting heading back to the nest. They aren't has vocal at this time of at all, but it seems in my experience of you get one of these birds he is eager.

PalsPal

And when your first does happen, you will be glad that you waited.

My #1 tip would be to hunt where there are turkeys.

I killed my first on family property in my 20s in the 80s, but we usually only had one small flock around there. There were many silent days. We now have a better population, but my successes grew once I gained permission to several properties. So, if you can get multiple places to hunt, your chances of success will go up.

Bgoodman30

Practice 2 or three different calls. Pot,buttons. box, mouth etc. Try all three until gobbler responds to your call by gobbling right after or cutting you off. After this put your calls away and wait. Might take 2 minutes or 2 hours.

Urban_Hunter

Prepare to reposition. A stationary hen is a red flag. You're already a hen he can't see…

Don't get tunnel vision. When they pitch down they often get separated, and may stay separated all day. Don't be surprised to have called in silent turkeys while you're watching your prize out in front of you. Many times I've called and called and can't get the result I'm after so decide to reposition, only to bust a bird in range that I never saw

Last… play the dominate hen. Good, bad, or ugly, I've had more success doing this than calling the Tom himself. The "game" is the same to me. When he's henned up, if the hen is vocal, talk over her. She'll get pissed 😂. She's asserted her dominance to the hens around her and she'll come teach you the same lesson. Ol Tom is just following her to you. Have good cover for this… because she'll be sitting in your lap by the time he comes into range

Latest posts