1st trip a bust

megalomaniac

It's just about time for them to start gobbling here in south MS. Im in for a tough season, as my half my private lease (the half that has turkeys) has sold. Spent the morning yesterday on the other half (basically 900 acres with an industrial tank field for storing millions of gallons of gas/ diesel, surrounded by a high fence with a few holes in it). Managed to cut 1 set of gobbler tracks made since the last rain 3d ago. Didn't hear a peep, but called in a half dozen owls.

Went at daylight to the area I found the tracks to listen at first light this morn. Not a peep. Gave him 45 min, then headed to national forest to see if I could locate a bird for juvie season. Hit a half dozen spots, no gobbles, no tracks, no scratching. Didn't see any birds travelling between spots on the forest service roads. Called in another half dozen owls though.

I'm hoping it's just a bit early, but kinda expecting to hear at least one with as much ground as I covered and day temps in the 80s.

I've got permission on 4 chunks of private in central MS to hunt, but none are closer than 2 hours away. REALLY need to find some birds close to hunt before work on good weather days!

megalomaniac

And, yes, I stomped all the tracks out so there is no trace of a bird walking there after I got done 😀

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_132332_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_132332_Gallery.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 102

Bgoodman30

It's just about time for them to start gobbling here in south MS. Im in for a tough season, as my half my private lease (the half that has turkeys) has sold. Spent the morning yesterday on the other half (basically 900 acres with an industrial tank field for storing millions of gallons of gas/ diesel, surrounded by a high fence with a few holes in it). Managed to cut 1 set of gobbler tracks made since the last rain 3d ago. Didn't hear a peep, but called in a half dozen owls.

Went at daylight to the area I found the tracks to listen at first light this morn. Not a peep. Gave him 45 min, then headed to national forest to see if I could locate a bird for juvie season. Hit a half dozen spots, no gobbles, no tracks, no scratching. Didn't see any birds travelling between spots on the forest service roads. Called in another half dozen owls though.

I'm hoping it's just a bit early, but kinda expecting to hear at least one with as much ground as I covered and day temps in the 80s.

I've got permission on 4 chunks of private in central MS to hunt, but none are closer than 2 hours away. REALLY need to find some birds close to hunt before work on good weather days!

Too early I hope! Seems around here despite the warm temps they're still in winter mode.. Really more ghost mode now with the wind!

Boll Weevil

I sold a piece of property east of Starkville a few years ago. When I was a teen there was a few turkeys around but now...all but turkeyless.

Hawk

I sold a piece of property east of Starkville a few years ago. When I was a teen there was a few turkeys around but now...all but turkeyless.
Do you know about turkey numbers down around Noxubee NWR & the national forest close by. Used be several birds around there but that was in the 80's

Boll Weevil

There's a few more birds in Noxubee than Oktibbeha would be my guess. There's been several recent years-long research studies done by MSU on the refuge that you might be able to study to gain some insight. The single biggest factor in the region where I sold is changes in land use: the disappearance of small family farms, development/human encroachment, and the dominance of planted pine (disappearance of hardwoods and old field habitats). Clearcut, prep, plant, short and mid-rotation then start all over again.

Wood fiber is king.

megalomaniac

The property I will be hunting just east of Starkville has 200ac of quail habitat (but almost no roost trees) then 600ac of oak hardwood flats and planted pines (about 60% hardwoods) with about 10 acres of plots mixed in. It's excellent habitat for turkeys, just aren't a ton of birds around. If I don't strike a bird there, I'll be hitting the public just south of Starkville to give it a try. There were toms on the place back in December and January... but of course that doesn't mean much come March

Last edited:

Boll Weevil

I used to hunt a 600ac place several miles south of campus back in the 90s thru 2000s that for many years was a dairy farm supplying milk for MSUs dang tasty Edam cheese. Even then with all that fantastic habitat, it only held a very few birds Especially year round.

Bgoodman30

There's a few more birds in Noxubee than Oktibbeha would be my guess. There's been several recent years-long research studies done by MSU on the refuge that you might be able to study to gain some insight. The single biggest factor in the region where I sold is changes in land use: the disappearance of small family farms, development/human encroachment, and the dominance of planted pine (disappearance of hardwoods and old field habitats). Clearcut, prep, plant, short and mid-rotation then start all over again.

Wood fiber is king.

No I would say fresh burn is king!

megalomaniac

I wonder how many turkey dinner's those owls have had
Prob a bunch unfortunately... must have heard another dozen hawks squawking getting ready to pair off and mate as well. Way too many avian predators nowadays.

Went back out this morn to listen.at the lease. Didn't hear anything, but this guy slipped across a pipeline shortly after I left. Hope he sticks around for my daughter!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228_143222_GroupMe.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228_143222_GroupMe.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 51