1968 Browning 1911 Hi-power 9mm

Shorttine

Got a guy that wants to trade me said 1911 for my golf cart ($4500) claims its a limited edition (1 of 222 made) gold trigger with gold buck mark logo inlaid in grips. im waiting on him to send me the serial number so i can do some research to back up or dismiss his claims that its worth over 4k dollars. Any of you 1911 guys heard of such a pistol?
IMG_2233.JPG

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Not on that one. Looks like a normal hi-power model, assembled in Portugal. If it is a limited run, it should be stamped somewhere on the gun that it is a 1 of xxx model. I might take 3500 boot with it as a trade, but in no way would I do a straight trade.

Shorttine

I figured he was trying to sucker me and i know enough to at least ask questions and not take there word on it. best i can figure its a 500-1000 dollar pistol so its gonna be a hard pass from me

Patrick H

I believe TNGunsmoke is correct about that being a Browning Hi-Power and not a 1911. You can easy look at pics online to very which one it is. Thus if the person told you it is a high value 1911 he is either misrepresenting the handgun or doesn't know what he is talking about. Either way that raises a red flag!

chart1300

Nothing about that is limited except his knowledge!!! It's not a 1911 it's a High Power as stated before. Those are just factory Hogue grips and it's in a late model box. I would dare to say it's closer to a 2008 than a 1968. $8-900 piece. Tell him him to come up with about $35-3800.

Gameking

Pass on that one.

If he did told you that's limited edition 1911 he either...
1)Doesn't know anything about what he has, hence he can't know the true value.

Or...
2) Thinks you won't know the difference and is trying to take advantage of you.

That's a stainless Browning Hi-Power. Nice pistol but I see nothing about it that's special. I doubt it's value is over $1,000

Granddaddy

Yep, that's a production gun with a unique "look" to make it commemorative, may be numbered to give it some myth of extra value. Sites like Gunbroker.com would give you a comparative value now. The only thing that would affect the price now is the political environment that is driving everything firearms-related up. Just a comparison. I own a fully custom Wilson Combat 1911 in .45acp that cost $1795 new & is probably worth 2x that now (Wilson Combat is considered one of the top custom makers of 1911's). Browning is not considered even a top manufacturer of production 1911s (Springfield, Taurus come to mind for top production 1911 guns) & certainly not custom 1911 handguns. And BTW by definition a 1911 is a 45acp, not 9mm although there are guns made on the 1911 design in other calibers. Pass,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Shorttine

Admittedly im not much of a handgun guy....but i know when a rat smells like a rat and to ask some questions.

Thanks for the help guys i told him to pound sand....he said "Thats fine i got a guy wanting to trade a Can-am Side by side for it anyway"
Probably a lie but if not i hope the guy does his research before trading

Cardinalkenny

I believe TNGunsmoke is correct about that being a Browning Hi-Power and not a 1911. You can easy look at pics online to very which one it is. Thus if the person told you it is a high value 1911 he is either misrepresenting the handgun or doesn't know what he is talking about. Either way that raises a red flag!
+1 Patrick. If he calls it a 1911...he either doesn't know the difference or is trying to build up his product with useless info.

clancy

That is a beautiful BHi power. Its worth 1200 or so in Tennessee. It truly is a great handgun.

Latest posts