Os2 Outdoors

stringtalker":2bnnqba0 said:
150???, sorry that's hard to believe, but can't tell by the pic
Awesome buck congrats.

I agree though, where's a 150" at?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

deaddownwind

Re: 150 incher down! *Long Read*

Man the ups and downs of deer hunting! After having several folks telling me to "let this deer go" I had decided that I was going to go get a look at him in person if I was fortunate enough for him to come by. I was unsure of what he would score or how old he was. My gut was telling me 3.5 and 135" but his tine length and main beams led me to believe he would at least break 140. I knew I would be able to make a game-time decision on him once I saw him in person. Sure enough, on Sunday afternoon around 6:15 this guy came by me headed to a bean field. At first glance, he was by himself at 20 yards and didn't look as big as what I wanted him too so I was going to let him walk on by. Immediately after making that decision, his buddy came walking right behind him. I had in my mind that that deer was around 110" but once I saw him that close, he appeared quite a bit bigger and "Long Brows" dwarfed him. I then decided I was going to shoot him if I was able to get another shot. It took about two minutes for that opportunity to take place but eventually he quartered away as I was hoping. I put the pin on him, released and looked the wrong was to see where the arrow would hit. There was tree limbs in my line of site once I moved my head. He spun and bolted off but could tell that he was hit but was unsure of how hard. I climbed down and found little blood and no arrow. I then backed out for over an hour then returned with my father to follow the blood trail only finding minimal blood for a bout 75 yards. We then jumped a buck about 75 yards from last blood and decided to back out. With little sleep and many worries that we had pushed the deer, we went back Monday morning. Still no further blood and no blood where the buck was bedded down. My heart had sank to my stomach just knowing I had lost this nice buck. After combing the woods, I went to the bedded spot one more time to look for blood and found nothing. I angled back from that point to where we had found the last blood and he was piled up less than 60 yards from where the blood had stopped. The broadhead had penetrated the rib cage and broke the blades. The arrow war broken but still stuck in him by the fletching. The exit wound was just the point of the broadhead which was stopped up by the arrow explaining the minimal blood. I am very thankful things turned out the way they did. This deer is a new personal best for me as far as "scoring" goes. He green scored 151 8/16.

Attachments

• IMG_20150928_073338988.jpg
    IMG_20150928_073338988.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_20150928_092838115_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150928_092838115_HDR.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 407

chebuck

What kind of broad heads were you using? I'd throw them things in the trash and find something different! Congrats on a nice buck!

Dbllunger

chebuck":322414q5 said:
What kind of broad heads were you using? I'd throw them things in the trash and find something different! Congrats on a nice buck!

Agreed. That buck should have been more dead than it was. Just kidding. There are lots of bone and other things that can break and tear up any broadheads and arrows. No broad head is indestructible.

Congrats on a personal best.

deaddownwind

I use Swacker. Have not normally had any problems with them. I guess any mechanical broadhead could fail at anytime. Worked good enough for me to recover my deer, thank goodness.

John3

I agree that at first glance you don't see a 150" deer, but you start looking at all that tine length and it adds up pretty quick. Going off my guesses from looking at a picture, I came up with around 143. Having not seen the deer in person I have no doubt there could be that much error, and that buck could go 150. I have a 134" 8pt that 1 picture of me holding it after I killed it looks more like 150. So I know all too well you can't go by a picture alone because they can look way bigger or smaller. Great buck and sorry for all the doubt on its score.

deaddownwind

I'm definitely not worried with people doubting the score. I've scored plenty of deer and am confident with my adding and counting abilities. If anyone would like to come and measure any deer I have or have measured, I welcome them. Maybe some of the know-it-alls in the hunting community could teach me something and maybe I could teach you a little something as well! :moon: People doubt only because of either jealousy or ignorance. To me, if a person is proud of a deer, it doesn't really matter what the score, weight, or age of the deer is. Some of the happiest hunters are the guys with their first bucks that are spikes or four points. People will continue to make negative comments because they want to think they know more about hunting than other folks. It's the worst part of the sport.

iowavf

Very nice buck no matter what part of the country you're from. He's got a lot of length and decent mass from what I've seen posted of bucks from TN. Just from reading post on this website I'd bet a lot of folks in Tn hardly ever see a 150" plus deer, let alone hold one. It's hard to judge from a pic because you can't see the mass or width very well and camera angles are deceiving.

Here's a pic of my 150" and some change 8 point.

landman

Os2 Outdoors":2zk17g0k said:
stringtalker":2zk17g0k said:
150???, sorry that's hard to believe, but can't tell by the pic
Awesome buck congrats.

I agree though, where's a 150" at?

Y'all need to look at all the pics
I got 2 ,140" 8pts, looks like it's there
to me

Os2 Outdoors

John3":2c8ia9tc said:
I agree that at first glance you don't see a 150" deer, but you start looking at all that tine length and it adds up pretty quick. Going off my guesses from looking at a picture, I came up with around 143. Having not seen the deer in person I have no doubt there could be that much error, and that buck could go 150. I have a 134" 8pt that 1 picture of me holding it after I killed it looks more like 150. So I know all too well you can't go by a picture alone because they can look way bigger or smaller. Great buck and sorry for all the doubt on its score.
That's where i put him is low 140"s.

Most ppl call a 147 a 150" lol

Latest posts