Summer sausage again

Forvols

Made me a new batch of summer sausage. Plain and jalapeno/cheddar. This batch I increased the seasoning/cheese and added a good dose of fresh ground black pepper corn. Flavor now is outstanding for both. Ended up with 19 -- 12.5-14oz sausages after vac sealing.

r1100s

Looks amazing, care to share the recipe? I've played with making sausage in the past but never really had a solid go to recipe.

Mike Belt

Looks good! I have quite a bit of meat left from last year I need to clear out. Summer sausage and jerky is on the menu. I may cut and wrap like you did this go round. I usually make about the same size sticks as you but wrap them whole. It may be a better idea to cut them in half first.

Forvols

r1100s":1nsj7j7r said:
Looks amazing, care to share the recipe? I've played with making sausage in the past but never really had a solid go to recipe.

I used the Hi Mountain kit(s) the Jalapeno I added high temp cheddar cheese. 3rd batch I have made from the kits each time I tweaked a little bit. But overall the kit is pretty good, all you need is in it. Now that the kits are pretty much used I'm going to try making up a recipe or using one from Smoking Meats forum(sausage subforum) all kinds of recipes there for about any sausage you want to make: http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php

Forvols

Mike Belt":3v8u1w9z said:
Looks good! I have quite a bit of meat left from last year I need to clear out. Summer sausage and jerky is on the menu. I may cut and wrap like you did this go round. I usually make about the same size sticks as you but wrap them whole. It may be a better idea to cut them in half first.

These are the 2.5x20" casings that came with the kit. I cut them into 3rds and seal. I just ordered some 2.4x12" casings that I will probably keep those whole and seal. Usually a 3rd of stick doesn't hang out in the fridge to long

Forvols

Havent tried this until last night. Had me a grilled whole wheat bread and extra sharp cheddar cheese and thin sliced summer sausage (well 2 actually) samich some homemade kosher spicy dill pickles and some tater wedges...Dang that was good...don't just eat summer sausage on crackers fellas...thinkin next to try is a nice subroll with ham, turkey, summer sausage, cheese and veggies/peppers.. This last batch of summer sausage took on some great hickory/apple smoke.

AllOutdoors

Forvols":37qxqtmh said:
r1100s":37qxqtmh said:

I used the Hi Mountain kit(s) the Jalapeno I added high temp cheddar cheese. 3rd batch I have made from the kits each time I tweaked a little bit. But overall the kit is pretty good, all you need is in it. Now that the kits are pretty much used I'm going to try making up a recipe or using one from Smoking Meats forum(sausage subforum) all kinds of recipes there for about any sausage you want to make: http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php
Looks great. Do you add any pork or beef? Or just straight venison.?

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Latest posts