Snake Boots

Spurhunter

I don't worry about snake boots, but I wear 17" boots. I figure if one strikes, the boot uppers plus my pants inside will keep his fangs from getting to me. I just don't worry about snakes unless it's really warm and I'm in a place loaded with cottonmouths. I've never even had a close call that I recall while turkey hunting.

megalomaniac

I'm deep in swamps loaded with cottonmouths down here. The thought definitely crosses my mind as im walking in through thick brush and sloughs with nothing on but my low hikers. Even though we have those, plus eastern diamondbacks and timber rattlers, I'm even more nervous about stepping on a copperhead, as they don't give you any warning until you step on one and get bitten. That being said, I prefer comfort and am sticking to my low hikers (basically look and weight as much as a tennis shoe, but with much more aggressive tread lugs). I'll just take the Crofab if/ when I do get bit :0

Sam Davis

Chaps / gaiters work great. Don't waste your money on redhead brand snake boots. Mine didn't last a year 1/2 until they started falling apart. My chaps from Cabela's has lasted years.
Rattle snakes don't always warn people . I was working on my fence almost got bit. Over four foot long timber rattler within 6 inches of me . Never rattled luckily I seen him before I got bit.

backyardtndeer

Yes, I would consider them essential in these bottoms. We are loaded with copperheads and water moccasins. I have a pair of Cabela's pinnacle zip up snake boots that I wear, but they don't make those anymore.

tnanh

I'm deep in swamps loaded with cottonmouths down here. The thought definitely crosses my mind as im walking in through thick brush and sloughs with nothing on but my low hikers. Even though we have those, plus eastern diamondbacks and timber rattlers, I'm even more nervous about stepping on a copperhead, as they don't give you any warning until you step on one and get bitten. That being said, I prefer comfort and am sticking to my low hikers (basically look and weight as much as a tennis shoe, but with much more aggressive tread lugs). I'll just take the Crofab if/ when I do get bit :0
The idea that a rattlesnake warns you by rattling is a myth. I have been close to a bunch of them and only had one rattle at me. I stepped on him in my basement and he struck my muck boot but did not penetrate. He then started rattling as I unassed the basement to go find toilet paper. The others I have been very close to could have bitten me but did not strike. They didnt rattle either.

prstide

The idea that a rattlesnake warns you by rattling is a myth. I have been close to a bunch of them and only had one rattle at me. I stepped on him in my basement and he struck my muck boot but did not penetrate. He then started rattling as I unassed the basement to go find toilet paper. The others I have been very close to could have bitten me but did not strike. They didnt rattle either.
Did you move to another house? Rattlesnakes in the basement sounds like something off of a horror movie.

Latest posts