New snake boots

scn

We have a healthy population of timber rattlers and copperheads where I turkey hunt. I was just sent a picture of a big rattler that I probably have been close to at some point this spring. While those snakes don't bother me as much as the cottonmouths some of you deal with, I still have a healthy respect for them. And, given the fact that I normally don't have a light on as I walk into a listening area before daylight, it makes stepping over some of the "sticks" laying in the logging roads an adventure.

I have a pair of Danner snake boots that are like wearing a pair of tennis shoes. Unfortunately, even though they are Goretex and supposedly waterproof, my feet end up wet in them if it is wet out at all. I have been dealing with that issue with a pair of 15+ yr old Lacrosse boots and snake gators. It has been a good system. But, after using up a full tube of shoe goo on the boots to keep them from coming apart, I didn't have a lot of trust in them making it through the season as hard as I am on them.

I remembered some one on here talking highly about the new Lacrosse Alpha Agility boots. I thought they might be a good replacement for my old Lacrosse. When I went to the website, I found they were also making that boot in a snake boot version: https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/me...y-snake-boot-17-nwtf-mossy-oak-obsession.html

Natchez Shooting Supplies had them marked down a little, so I decided to give them a try. I had some misgivings, since I tried another Lacrosse snake boot a couple of years ago that didn't work for me due to the fit. Surprisingly, the new Alpha Agility snake boots fit great. I have logged several miles in them this year, and have been really impressed. They are lighter than they look, and are really comfortable to walk in. Lacrosse says they have been verified by the balloon puncture tests with strikes from NA pit vipers. They feel like they have great protection. And, they haven't had "briar" issues.

Anyway, I just thought I would pass that along as I am well pleased. I use my Danners when I am pretty sure conditions are dry, and the Lacrosse when I anticipate it being wet. That has been most mornings and days this season where I have been hunting.

Last edited:

paboom

That's helpful! Glad those are working out for you!

I'm on year 4 with my Irish Setter VaprTrek boots. They are like wearing a tennis shoe like you mentioned. I know some guys complain that the water proofing doesn't hold up, but that has not been my experience. I cross creeks with them all the time without any issue.

Spurhunter

I remembered some one on here talking highly about the new Lacrosse Alpha Agility boots. I thought they might be a good replacement for my old Lacrosse. When I went to the website, I found they were also making that boot in a snake boot version: https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/me...y-snake-boot-17-nwtf-mossy-oak-obsession.html
I went to the Agility last year and I don't think they were available in a snake boot then, but they are the most comfortable, lightest knee boot I've ever put on. I absolutely love them. The neoprene uppers don't look very tough but so far I haven't had any issues and my lease is covered in sticker bushes and sweet briar. I'm sure my boots won't last as long because of this, but I'm good with that. If I have to buy a new pair every year the comfort is worth it.

backyardtndeer

Stay away from rocky snake boots, I got one season out of mine before they started leaving my feet wet when walking through wet grass. I contacted rocky and they never got back with me. I have a pair of Cabela's pinnacle zipper up snake boots that have been great, but I don't know if they are still made, and doubt they would still be made to the same standards as when Cabela's was still Cabela's. I bought my wife a pair of Irish setter snake boots, she loves them, comfortable and dry. If I was in the market, Irish setter, Danner, and lacrosse would be the three I would most likely be looking at.

JCDEERMAN

hbg1

I've actually had good luck in my Moab gortex ones. Going on year 4 with them and have logged a lot of miles on them and still leak proof. Granted I wear gaiters with them though. Just my experience on them
I bought the same boot new this year before turkey season. The sole that wraps up around the toe has came unglued on both boots and they leak profusely when walking through wet grass. I haven't contacted merrell yet, I wonder what their customer service is like

jaybird62

Thanks for the tip, Steve. After today, I think I need a new pair of snake boots. Had my right foot in the air and was going to put it down within 6 inches of this one. It never moved. I spotted it when it stuck its tongue out.

Attachments

• rattlesnake.JPG
    rattlesnake.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 84

prstide

We have a healthy population of timber rattlers and copperheads where I turkey hunt. I was just sent a picture of a big rattler that I probably have been close to at some point this spring. While those snakes don't bother me as much as the cottonmouths some of you deal with, I still have a healthy respect for them. And, given the fact that I normally don't have a light on as I walk into a listening area before daylight, it makes stepping over some of the "sticks" laying in the logging roads an adventure.

I have a pair of Danner snake boots that are like wearing a pair of tennis shoes. Unfortunately, even though they are Goretex and supposedly waterproof, my feet end up wet in them if it is wet out at all. I have been dealing with that issue with a pair of 15+ yr old Lacrosse boots and snake gators. It has been a good system. But, after using up a full tube of shoe goo on the boots to keep them from coming apart, I didn't have a lot of trust in them making it through the season as hard as I am on them.

Natchez Shooting Supplies had them marked down a little, so I decided to give them a try. I had some misgivings, since I tried another Lacrosse snake boot a couple of years ago that didn't work for me due to the fit. Surprising, the new Alpha Agility snake boots fit great. I have logged several miles in them this year, and have been really impressed. They are lighter than they look, and are really comfortable to walk in. Lacrosse says they have been verified by the balloon puncture tests with strikes from NA pit vipers. They feel like they have great protection. And, they haven't had "briar" issues.

Anyway, I just thought I would pass that along as I am well pleased. I use my Danners when I am pretty sure conditions are dry, and the Lacrosse when I anticipate it being wet. That has been most mornings and days this season where I have been hunting.
I noticed a couple weeks ago that my Lacrosse Alpha 4x Snake Boots I've had for almost 10 years have a crack forming across the top of the right boot and was going to try these. Thanks for the review—gonna see if I can catch an after season sale somewhere on a pair.

REN

I bought the same boot new this year before turkey season. The sole that wraps up around the toe has came unglued on both boots and they leak profusely when walking through wet grass. I haven't contacted merrell yet, I wonder what their customer service is like

I'm sure they have issues like the rest. Again I haven't had issues with them but maybe I got a great pair or maybe you got a lemon set. Who knows.

megalomaniac

Ty for the review!

This was the first spring in a while I haven't seen a single venomous snake, and in fact have only seen 2 nonvenomous snakes all season.

CrossVolle

Stay away from Merrell boots too, junk.
Have a pair of 200g hikers that i have beat all to hell in the spring and the fall for 2 seasons now. Still going strong. Love them!! Will likely purchase another pair when these finally give out.

Gravey

this is great help. curious, in east TN, what venomous snakes are there, I am not versed on the snakes out here
Only timber rattlesnakes as big around as your arm and copperheads.
Speedwell…if you're on Facebook join the Hiking the Smokies page and you'll see what SCN is talking about.

Latest posts