Base layer

JCDEERMAN

Bgoodman30":wtid4buu said:
Spend the money. The base layer is the most important layer for warmth and moisture wicking which keeps you dry and warm, IMO.. I have had very good luck with UA Coldgear compression seems to be better and more comfortable. I have Smartwool merino base layers that may be slightly warmer but still prefer the UA unless its extremely cold.

I have some UA coldgear, but man, that stuff is too tight for me. Maybe the sizes run small - i just feel like I cant breath in it

Bgoodman30

JCDEERMAN":39xlgibd said:
Bgoodman30":39xlgibd said:
Spend the money. The base layer is the most important layer for warmth and moisture wicking which keeps you dry and warm, IMO.. I have had very good luck with UA Coldgear compression seems to be better and more comfortable. I have Smartwool merino base layers that may be slightly warmer but still prefer the UA unless its extremely cold.

I have some UA coldgear, but man, that stuff is too tight for me. Maybe the sizes run small - i just feel like I cant breath in it

Yeah it stretches some over the years. A wise old farmer told me once "when my britches get tight I eat less" :lol:

I also believe the compression is part of what keeps you warmer, plus the length in the back that doesn't ride up.. I always get colder with base layers that are loose.. I have duck hunted several single digit days comfortably by sticking a body heat pad over the UA layer right over your kidney.. That's the ultimate way to stay warm right there.

I still wear the same top I bought around 2003. I have nothing but good to say about UA, there stuff has always held up for me..

Deer Whisperer

For the heavyweight stuff, buy the bottoms online wherever you find the deals.

You can find world class merino, cashmere, and other classes of wool sweaters and vests at Goodwill. I have lots of 1/4 zip sweaters that are extra fine merino.
I put the best / finest layer against my skin, then layer up from there. I have a thick regular wool sweater that I wear as an outer layer.

JCDEERMAN

Bgoodman30":2dciyz21 said:
JCDEERMAN":2dciyz21 said:
Bgoodman30":2dciyz21 said:

Yeah it stretches some over the years. A wise old farmer told me once "when my britches get tight I eat less" :lol:

I also believe the compression is part of what keeps you warmer, plus the length in the back that doesn't ride up.. I always get colder with base layers that are loose.. I have duck hunted several single digit days comfortably by sticking a body heat pad over the UA layer right over your kidney.. That's the ultimate way to stay warm right there.

I still wear the same top I bought around 2003. I have nothing but good to say about UA, there stuff has always held up for me..

I love UA's outer gear...very warm stuff

I'll give the cold gear base layer another shot this year on a cold morning. If I freeze, I'll refresh this thread and give you hell :lol: :super:

Latest posts