Need either a base layer or mid idea

scn

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned for really cold weather is to oversize your boots. If your feet are cramped at all, they will get cold. You will be amazed at the difference a size larger will make. In my mucks, I use the larger size on morning sits when it is the coldest, and my normal size in the evenings. That also allows them to dry between uses. If you start in wet boots, again, a lot of your "heat" is going to dry out that moisture.

348Winchester

Wool for all layers. Merino wool is excellent as many have previously here stated. A lined wool shirt for mid layer and a lined wool vest for outer layer. If it's brutally cold a Mackinaw coat cannot be beaten.

LL Bean has lined wool shirts and pants.

The Buffalo Wool Company has gloves and socks made from a mix of Bison down and Merino Wool. They are expensive but very warm.

Gost wear in Canada has very good wool clothes at the most reasonable prices.

Stormy Kromer hats are great and come in a wide variety of colors and configurations.

I began wearing wool about 13 years ago. It is vastly superior to man made fabrics.

It is warm.

It is extremely durable.

It keeps you warm when it gets wet.

It dries very quickly.

It is fairly water repellent.

It wicks away moisture from your body.

It keeps you surprisingly cool as temperatures rise.

It is the quietest material there is. Man made fabrics are noisy! The fabric makes noise every time you move or anything brushes against it. If you have been wearing man made fabrics, you have become accustomed to it and you will be pleased greatly by the silence of wool.

Whilst wool garments are available in camouflage, there is not a wide selection. I quickly learned that camo is for man's eye. It is utterly unnecessary. To me, it has become cheesy and trendy looking. Traditional wool hunting clothes in green, red, black, or gray are all one needs to blend into the woodlands. Think about it, game animals blend in perfectly without sticks and leaves printed all over them!

BuryMeInDixie

I'm cold natured as well. Mostly my feet kill me in the cold. Not gonna lie, everything y'all have said about wool and base layers I have tried and it just took the edge off. Still froze on some long sits. The only thing I've had success with is oversized boots and battery powered heated socks. Best I remember they came from Amazon. Rechargeable with two temp settings. Also got the camo Milwaukee heated coat as a gift. Pack it in. The low setting does great almost all day. Then crank it up to high to sit out the last hour or so. Carry a spare battery in you pack and you're probably good to go all day. I just don't have all day sits In my schedule any more.

Speedwell-Hunter

Wool for all layers. Merino wool is excellent as many have previously here stated. A lined wool shirt for mid layer and a lined wool vest for outer layer. If it's brutally cold a Mackinaw coat cannot be beaten.

LL Bean has lined wool shirts and pants.

The Buffalo Wool Company has gloves and socks made from a mix of Bison down and Merino Wool. They are expensive but very warm.

Gost wear in Canada has very good wool clothes at the most reasonable prices.

Stormy Kromer hats are great and come in a wide variety of colors and configurations.

I began wearing wool about 13 years ago. It is vastly superior to man made fabrics.

It is warm.

It is extremely durable.

It keeps you warm when it gets wet.

It dries very quickly.

It is fairly water repellent.

It wicks away moisture from your body.

It keeps you surprisingly cool as temperatures rise.

It is the quietest material there is. Man made fabrics are noisy! The fabric makes noise every time you move or anything brushes against it. If you have been wearing man made fabrics, you have become accustomed to it and you will be pleased greatly by the silence of wool.

Whilst wool garments are available in camouflage, there is not a wide selection. I quickly learned that camo is for man's eye. It is utterly unnecessary. To me, it has become cheesy and trendy looking. Traditional wool hunting clothes in green, red, black, or gray are all one needs to blend into the woodlands. Think about it, game animals blend in perfectly without sticks and leaves printed all over them!
extremely helpful, thank you~!

Speedwell-Hunter

I'm cold natured as well. Mostly my feet kill me in the cold. Not gonna lie, everything y'all have said about wool and base layers I have tried and it just took the edge off. Still froze on some long sits. The only thing I've had success with is oversized boots and battery powered heated socks. Best I remember they came from Amazon. Rechargeable with two temp settings. Also got the camo Milwaukee heated coat as a gift. Pack it in. The low setting does great almost all day. Then crank it up to high to sit out the last hour or so. Carry a spare battery in you pack and you're probably good to go all day. I just don't have all day sits In my schedule any more.
ya all day sits dont work for me. i break at 10am-1 then go back, get too bored

7X57

I was freezing until I bought the First Lite baselayers. I bought the 250 and 350 gr merino wool. It's the best hunting purchase I've made in the last 20 years. They are currently 40% off, so get them while you can. I mountain hunt in them and they wick away moisture and keep me comfortable all day.

rtaylor

I'm cold natured and it was always like Chinese water torture sitting on cold days. I finally bit the bullet and got a fleece battery powered vest by Arris. I wish I would have done it years ago. I don't have to wear nearly as many layers. I have an undershirt, vest then outer jacket and that is it. I can sit for hours in the biting cold. Having a warm core also keeps my feet and hands warm.

Pic IN the Casa

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned for really cold weather is to oversize your boots. If your feet are cramped at all, they will get cold. You will be amazed at the difference a size larger will make. In my mucks, I use the larger size on morning sits when it is the coldest, and my normal size in the evenings. That also allows them to dry between uses. If you start in wet boots, again, a lot of your "heat" is going to dry out that moisture.
Excellent advice.

Tn_Va_Hunter

I'll third first lite gear. My setup consist of the furnace base layers. Cabelas wool pants. First lite vest and then firstlite bibs and jacket. I also have the cold weather head cover.

Speedwell-Hunter

I'll third first lite gear. My setup consist of the furnace base layers. Cabelas wool pants. First lite vest and then firstlite bibs and jacket. I also have the cold weather head cover.
Just bought these, thank you!

1669070850594.png

Speedwell-Hunter

I was freezing until I bought the First Lite baselayers. I bought the 250 and 350 gr merino wool. It's the best hunting purchase I've made in the last 20 years. They are currently 40% off, so get them while you can. I mountain hunt in them and they wick away moisture and keep me comfortable all day.
thank you for the info on 40% off, got the bottom base:

1669070867303.png

Latest posts