Need either a base layer or mid idea

Speedwell-Hunter

Hunted all weekend

Only could last 2-3 hr in stand

Have base, mid, and external for top n bottom

Need something more

Whats another heavy mid or another base (size up that can go over current base) that i can use

Tired of freezing

Also have a baclava hat but need another warm hat idea

Thx

TNTreeman

Merino wool top, bottom, and balaclava. Make sure they are next to your skin. Wool socks. Next a good polar fleece. If you've got a long walk put on next layer or coveralls next to stand to avoid overheating. Boot covers and hot hands work well to. If you sweat in cotton you'll freeze. Wool will still keep you warm. Cheap sleeping bag in stand if your really cold natured.

Stumpsitter

I wear 32degree heat next to my skin. Blackovis mid weight merino wool on top of that , if it's really cold, for base layer's. Plus
Wind proof outer wear is really where it's at for me to stay warm. I work in the weather so I'm kinda acclimated, still don't make it hurt any less.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Definitely get merino socks, if nothing else. It's mind-blowing how well your feet stay warm with those (and consequently, the rest of you feels warmer). Make sure it's no less than 50% merino wool; 80%+ is better.

The next thing is a down jacket over your base + mid layers, under your outer layer—goose down or PrimaLoft is the best.

Lastly, the adhesive hot hands on the small of the back is a game-changer.

MusicCityCajun

My dad just got one of those vests that is heated by a little rechargeable battery pack. He hunted all week and said it worked like a charm for him.
My usual setup sounded about like yours and I was pretty miserable last weekend after a few hours in the stand. Definitely could use some battery warmed socks and vest for Christmas.

DoubleRidge

Merino wool socks are great. I use light, mid and heavy weight base layers then regular camo pants and shirt with berber vest walking in.... strapped on my pack I have my down coat, fleece coat and Cabela bibs....once to stand I'll put coats and bibs on with heavy fleece beanie hat....stormy kromer also makes a great wool hat....hot hand warmers with wool mittens that flip back and convert into fingerless gloves quickly.

And....if it's just super windy and just miserable you can always go with a ground blind and buddy heater....but be warned...once you get on a buddy heater it's hard to get off it...they are so nice in a blind and feel great.

killingtime 41

Hunted all weekend

Only could last 2-3 hr in stand

Have base, mid, and external for top n bottom

Need something more

Whats another heavy mid or another base (size up that can go over current base) that i can use

Tired of freezing

Also have a baclava hat but need another warm hat idea

Thx
Try a big enough carhartt camo jacket. The cotton duck material. And make sure it is heavy duty cold kind. It will keep every bit of wind out no matter what. I've had snow piled up on one side. Because the wind was blowing from that direction and I didn't even know it. Keep and wind out and your base layers can then warm the body.

Hduke86

Two things that help me a ton not only to stay warm but just neck and lower back pain is Thermacare heat wraps. They are like oversized hot hands but go across your lower back and some go across the top of your shoulders/neck area. Those suckers will heat you up and make sure you don't get all stoved up in the cold sitting in a stand. Give them a try and see how you like them.

Chief44

First lite has their furnace merino base layers on sale for 40% off right now. They're a good deal for a good pair of base layers.
I second this. The furnace base layers are great. I also have their Uncompahgre puffy jacket and pants. They can be worn as a mid layer when it's really cold and are very warm. They are a very versatile pice and pack down small. When it's cool but not cold enough to wear as a mid layer, they stay in my pack and if I start getting cold, I just slip them on over my outer layer while in the stand. The only draw back is they are not made to be busting brush in so I usually pull them off when I get down.

Jim Fred

Heavyweight merino wool base layers from Sitka make all the difference in the world for me. It really surprised me how warm they are while still fairly thin material.

Merino wool socks keep my feet warm as well, I believe I have the Smartwool brand.

Speedwell-Hunter

Body warmers on your kidneys will help you as well.

For a heavy base mid layer, I like something fleece over merino wool.
Lol
My dad just got one of those vests that is heated by a little rechargeable battery pack. He hunted all week and said it worked like a charm for him.
My usual setup sounded about like yours and I was pretty miserable last weekend after a few hours in the stand. Definitely could use some battery warmed socks and vest for Christmas.
Thank you.

Yes my set up is ok. Learning that my base layer and socks are all synthetic (polyester), I am swithcing to Merino wool based on reccommendations here. After that, not sure what I will do, but something needs to be done, I can only do 2-3 hour sits. which actually not minding because i get bored after 3 hours anyways, its not like turkey hunting where they talk to you. but of 3 hours, the last 1 hour is typically moderately miserable to outright sucking due to cold

Dennis

We all like to wear stuff that isn't too bulky but bulky items like thick fleece, down , hold a lot of air . And it's that air layer that insulates.

I have an old pair of down coveralls. When they were new , they were puffy as hell but would keep you warm with minimal layers underneath. They aren't as puffy now so not as warm.

SSlater

I like wool. I like 80% or better if you can find it. Insulated coveralls or overalls are nice for sitting, not for walking. I've been doing the sleeping bag thing for years. Works great.

scn

As said, merino wool base layers and socks to start. The heavy Guidegear ECW base layers from Sportsman Guide over that. For me, that cheap ECW underwear that came from our armed forces is the warmest I have found. The form fitting UA stuff doesn't come close for me.

The best thing to insure a longer set is to get some coveralls or overalls that will fit over your current clothing. Make sure that they have a goretex (or similar membrane) layer to block the wind or rain. Carry them in to put on at the stand and NOT for your walk in. The BoneDry or Dryplus coveralls and overalls from Basspro/Cabelas are a good bang for your buck (pun intended).

If you sweat on the way in, you are already starting behind the curve. Your body will use some of its heating to dry out that moisture. Try to walk in with the bare minimum on to keep from sweating. If it is a long walk, carry in your merino socks, and change at your stand. If your feet are sweaty, you are starting behind. A pack with some straps on the outside that lets you strap in extra clothing is pretty much a must have. I look like the bag lady on most of my walks in.

And, one final item that will make a major difference, is a merino or heavy fleece buff for your neck. I use some of the camo ones from the Buff company. They are relatively cheap but do an amazing job of cutting down on some of the heat loss in your neck area. If you want to really treat yourself, slip in one of the little handwarmers under the Buff on the back of your neck. Your whole body will feel warmer pretty quickly.

Latest posts