Anybody gone away from heavy insulated boots for lighter shoes with layered socks?

DeerMan66

It depends on temperature and your ability to with stand cold weather. I don't get cold that easily so I usually go with uninsulated leather boots and mid-weight socks down to around 28 degrees. Between 28 and 20 that I go with 400 grams of thinsulate boots and heavy weight socks. Below that I add peel and stick foot warmers.

TNRifleman

Boots are one place where I don't skimp and they are not one size fits all. You really need to try them on to see which fit your feet best. Kentetrek, Crispi, Zamberlan, Schnee's, all make great boots but they'll all fit differenty. I've settled on Zamberlans for my foot and have insulated and uninsulated pairs. For superlight boots in relatively easy country, I will wear Salomon 4D 3 GTX's. If it will be cold, I have gone to a combo of liner sock with heavier wool sock and then some toe warmers.

Ski

I wear rubber/neoprene boots all season. When it's going to be cold I wear electric socks until I get on stand, then put wool socks over them & turn the sock heater on. Rubber boots are easy to slip on & off so it's pretty easy to do once I'm on stand.

The problem I have with boots & socks is that I often walk far and sit long. My feet are either sweaty or frozen, usually both in the same day. Using the electric socks made it a lot easier to control than trying to find the perfect boot & sock combo. I got heat when I want & how much I want. And electric socks are cheap on Amazon.

Buzzard Breath

I start the season off in a pair of waterproof trail running shoes and move to a pair of uninsulated Salmon gtx 4d boots when I want something a little taller. I never wear heavy boots. When its really cold, Ohio bow hunting in January, I carry Attic Shield boot blankets to the stand. My feet get hot and sweat easily. This is the only way I can prevent this.

Shoes and boots go on a boot drier each evening, after the hunt.

UCStandSitter

I tried it last year just wearing uninsulated Danner Pronghorns with a merino wool sock. Add arctic shield boot blankets if you need a little extra. Unfortunately they crapped out on me during turkey season this year and began leaking like a waterfall so I trashed them.
I've been wearing the insulated version for 2 years now with Smart Wool liner socks and Darn Tough Merino socks over that (this is all for after the temps drop in Nov). Been very pleased with the results. I've heard of others besides Gravey who have had issues with the uninsulated version leaking but haven't heard the same about the insulated ones.

Latest posts