OnX or Basemap?

Lt.Dan

I know, what about Huntstand? Not a fan but I guess some of y'all like it. Me? I have both OnX and Basemap. I use the paid version's. OnX is my preferred app probably because I started with it. They both have some good features. OnX tracker is more accurate IMO. But I love Basemap's compass and wind direction features. OnX has more symbols and you can change their color. That's another better feature over Basemap. The other reason I keep both, is my brother uses Basemap, so we can share each other's way points. I use OnX's offline maps feature extensively. It's a great way to save the phone battery when I'm in a new area.

Let's hear what app you prefer and why.

MickThompson

Basemap has all the same features including downloading offline maps but OnX was first so that's what all my buddies have. Their icon library isn't as extensive and you can't color code it as has been mentioned. I think they're feeling the heat though and that's what is pushing them to offer more non-map content and classes

TheLBLman

Basemap has all the same features including downloading offline maps . . . .
For the most part, very little difference between them.

If you want multiple states or nationwide coverage,
Basemap has been available at a significantly lower user cost.

I think a fair comparison might be like the option of buying
a GMC truck vs. a Chevy truck, i.e. basically the same truck.

TheLBLman

When I switched over to Basemap, it was mainly because (at the time) Basemap had better satellite imagery. They're probably more or less the same now on that. They are each on going trying to "one up" on each other, so one will come out with some new or better little something, then the other will match it or come up with something else.

Competition between brands is much of what makes free enterprise sizzle, giving us more & better choices, and keeps the end user price as low as possible.

kaizen leader

I know, what about Huntstand? Not a fan but I guess some of y'all like it. Me? I have both OnX and Basemap. I use the paid version's. OnX is my preferred app probably because I started with it. They both have some good features. OnX tracker is more accurate IMO. But I love Basemap's compass and wind direction features. OnX has more symbols and you can change their color. That's another better feature over Basemap. The other reason I keep both, is my brother uses Basemap, so we can share each other's way points. I use OnX's offline maps feature extensively. It's a great way to save the phone battery when I'm in a new area.

Let's hear what app you prefer and why.
I use Huntstand Payed version but not Pro and like it a lot. I also have GPS Tracks but it's slow to come up and not really for hunting. I also have HuntWise which has great calls on it. And one more, iHunt which I haven't looked at in a long time. HuntStand is my go to and has been the most reliable and accurate. It's a little confusing but then who reads directions. 😂 I'd like to hear other comparisons. Thanks.

BSK

Only one I've tried is OnX, and I like it for what I need - finding approximate property lines. Don't use it for hunting.

Lt.Dan

When I switched over to Basemap, it was mainly because (at the time) Basemap had better satellite imagery. They're probably more or less the same now on that. They are each on going trying to "one up" on each other, so one will come out with some new or better little something, then the other will match it or come up with something else.

Competition between brands is much of what makes free enterprise sizzle, giving us more & better choices, and keeps the end user price as low as possible.
I like Basemaps imagery better. It's taken with the leaves off the trees. I can see game trails with Basemap. OnX imagery has the leaves on. I don't like that view much at all.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
What about Spartan Forge? Anyone used it? The AI aside, I heard the imagery is supposed to be really good.
I've had SF since it first came out. I ran it along with OnX & huntstand pro. I like some of the features of SF over the others but I'm also disappointed in the lack of some of the features. If you could take features from each, it would become the best every. If you not hunting near a metropolitan area, you probably won't have anything better than google earth type. if your closer to city, they have some very good imagery. suppose to be upgrading all the time, but I've not see much upgrades.

Spurhunter

I have both on my phone and have been testing them side by side for 2 years. My conclusions are that there is almost no difference in features, but if you need more than one state Basemap is significantly cheaper. When my Basemap subscription runs out I'll keep OnX only because I've been using it longer and I'm more comfortable with the buttons. Plus, more of my hunting buddies use it so we can share information easier. It does piss me off that I have to pay more so they can support YouTube assclowns. 😅

Latest posts