onX

Joe2Kool

Teo things that took me a while to figure out:

1) Push the button once to center you on the screen. Puh it a second time and it puts a little blue cone in the direction you're going. Once I accidentally figured that out, following tracks and navigating got a whole lot easier!

2) You can send waypoints to others and they can see them exactly as you do. So if you update it or delete it, they see it, or don't if you deleted it. If they want to keep it for themselves, they have to copy the coordinates and create a WP on their onX.

Good luck! It's a great tool to have.

7X57

I think it's important to be mindful that the property ownership is typically accurate, but not always the boundary lines. The boundary lines are taken from the County GIS tax map which relies on deed legal descriptions to approximate the property boundary lines. These legal descriptions are not always accurate due to bad/conflicting survey direction calls and therefore maps and boundary lines not always to scale.

BSK

I think it's important to be mindful that the property ownership is typically accurate, but not always the boundary lines. The boundary lines are taken from the County GIS tax map which relies on deed legal descriptions to approximate the property boundary lines. These legal descriptions are not always accurate due to bad/conflicting survey direction calls and therefore maps and boundary lines not always to scale.
They certainly aren't perfect, for the reasons you describe, but I've been shocked at close they are. If my phone's GPS shows I should be standing on a corner marker per OnX, I'm going to be real close. Generally within 25-30 yards, and I will easily see the corner marker from where I'm standing.

7X57

They certainly aren't perfect, for the reasons you describe, but I've been shocked at close they are. If my phone's GPS shows I should be standing on a corner marker per OnX, I'm going to be real close. Generally within 25-30 yards, and I will easily see the corner marker from where I'm standing.
Yes Sir. No issue with the app itself, but with the tax maps. An example would be when I walked across a gravel road thinking the property continued. The neighbor came out and informed me I was standing on his property. I mentioned the app and he informed me the property I had permission to be on has an inaccurate survey legal that draws over into his property for approximately 5 acres. I researched it in the Register of Deeds office and he was correct. I still think it's a great tool 99% of the time.

AT Hiker

Here is a screen shot of GE and Onx. I tried to do my house but my neighborhood isn't updated in GE, so that kinda throws out the whole GE is the most updated 😂
Of course the desktop GE pro might be more up to date, I haven't checked.

GE, much clearer of a random house.
953881DF-2678-4B99-B736-D89145BA95C1.png

Same image in ONx.
E77C9C09-81EF-4DEF-8FD6-C345F0BBAE8F.png

CATCHDAWG

Here is a screen shot of GE and Onx. I tried to do my house but my neighborhood isn't updated in GE, so that kinda throws out the whole GE is the most updated 😂
Of course the desktop GE pro might be more up to date, I haven't checked.

GE, much clearer of a random house.
View attachment 165607

Same image in ONx.
View attachment 165608
OnX has the 3D map but it won't show the property lines or owner. But if you click back to 2D it will. In other words, you can see both views as posted above using OnX.

RobDooley

If your going to be in an area where there is no cell reception you can download a map of the area ahead of time while you have good reception, and then while in the rural area ,with no reception, you can still use onX with the saved map. We used this feature hunting out west several times and it worked great.
I have BaseMap and you can do that.

JCDEERMAN

I have OnX. It's been very helpful. I like tracking distances and having stands marked. Also like calculating field size. I've put the tracker feature on and searched for downed animals. Used it on a 40 acre swamp this past fall while looking for a bull elk I had shot. Never found it, but my track looked like spaghetti noodles. I confirmed he was NOT in there.

Latest posts