OnX Acorn producing oaks

lafn96

Last year I saw Onx added under Layers an option for acorn producing oaks. Had no need to use it on my property, as I already knew where all oaks are.

Got permission yesterday for 1000 acres behind my property, which includes a ridge that stretches for about 2 miles. Most of it is pretty steep and thick. Turned on that layer for the oaks, and it was spot on. Found some massive white oaks, and plenty of sign around them. Was able to immediately walk right to these, despite never having set foot on the property before.

Just thought it may be useful for some, as I don't recall it ever being discussed on here previously.

BSK

I wonder how they're determining that? Perhaps oak leaves (or oaks carrying acorns) reflect a different spectrum of light in an aerial photo.

BSK

Don't know, but it was even accurate at identifying white oaks vs other oaks.
Results for my place very iffy. 80% of our standing timber is white and red oak, and ALL of the white oaks are loaded this year, but it shows just spotty oak coverage on that layer.

philsanchez76

maybe their tool is only as good as the satellite imagery for that area. I hunt several spots where the imagery is super crisp and clear and then other spots where its not nearly as high quality. ive found it to be accurate in some spots and iffy in others.

Atchman2

Going to have to try that. My hunting property butts up against North Cumberland WMA and we have basically no oaks due to strip mining and logging.

BSK

This year for me it would be like looking for a particular grain of sand in the middle of the Gobe desert. Hundreds of acres of 80% oaks, all loaded
Yup, my forest is primarily white oak, and every one is loaded this year. Just like in 2021 when we had the acorn crop from Hell. Although this year, unlike 2021, my red oaks are very sparse. I'm assuming that is because of last year's drought, and red oaks fertilizing one year but not making the acorn until the following year.

348Winchester

Going to have to try that. My hunting property butts up against North Cumberland WMA and we have basically no oaks due to strip mining and logging.
Our property is close to the WMA border but not right on it. We have a moderate amount of oaks. How have your deer populations fared since the 2017 EHD outbreak?

Bone Collector

is this a top tier membership feature?

my dilemma is I started on hunt stand. All my stuff is saved in there. I later added OnX one night and have had it since but don't use it as much. It does have some cool features that hunt stand didn't/doesn't, that I will use. Now it appears they are adding tons of new really cool features, but you have to have their top membership. I have the middle one.

If I upgrade, then I most definitely do not need Huntstand, but then I would have to switch everything over. It will be a PITA and a lot of work.

Latest posts