onX

Wrangler95

Just became a member of onX,been using the free verison of Huntstand for several years and I liked it for what I needed.I'm a premium member now with onX and hadnt had anytime to explore how you do things because I've been making deer jerkey this morning and havent had time.If anyone wants to tell me things that you use on it I would appreciate your advice and how to do them,I'm sure I would learn faster how to use the features from you!Thanks

BSK

I just use for it for property lines and property ownership. Invaluable for that. And I'm shocked at how close the property lines are. A few times while mapping properties I've lost the property line. Pull up OnX and I can tell about where it should be.

DoubleRidge

If your going to be in an area where there is no cell reception you can download a map of the area ahead of time while you have good reception, and then while in the rural area ,with no reception, you can still use onX with the saved map. We used this feature hunting out west several times and it worked great.

Wrangler95

Anyone familiar with both OnX and BaseMap?

I had OnX in the past, but switched over to BaseMap 2 or 3 yrs ago
because, at the time, they seemed more similar than different,
but BaseMap had better imagery and cost less.
Good to know when my OnX runs out,I will check on BaseMap!

lafn96

It was invaluable to me when looking at new homes/properties; with the 3D mapping I could get a much better feel for it than just the overhead satellite pics. Also when looking for public hunting ground.

TheLBLman

Onx is a great app. I use for property lines. And to get to stands in the dark. Also to mark potential stand sights. It is really invaluable. . . . . . Especially for hunting public land.
:)
Haven't yet heard anyone say anything that OnX does which BaseMap doesn't.

Starting to wonder if OnX may be to the gps/mapping smart phone software
what Cuddeback is to game cams?

The most advertised?

P.S. I have absolutely nothing against OnX and liked it.
It's just when it came renewal time, I took a look at BaseMap,
and thought they were essentially the same.

I have no issue paying more for OnX if it's worth the extra cost.

Madbowh

Can you share pins on base map? Scout google earth and drop pins then overlay on your base map app?
I've never used it.
Is this possible on onx, if so I would like to learn that.

Onx is great and up to date when I bought my house my name popped up over it about a month later. Not sure on the other one there in not a very technical person or know many different things I try to shelter from the world lol.

I think I use the tools a lot. I think the line distance is really accurate on there.

AT Hiker

Is this possible on onx, if so I would like to learn that.

Onx is great and up to date when I bought my house my name popped up over it about a month later. Not sure on the other one there in not a very technical person or know many different things I try to shelter from the world lol.

I think I use the tools a lot. I think the line distance is really accurate on there.
Yes, sharing pins is easy. Google scouting and transferring is a little more complicated.
I think if you google "tree line pursuits" he has a tutorial. I'll try to dig more into at the office tomorrow. It's been a couple years since I did it and all I did was transferred the data that someone sent me.

AT Hiker

Direct link from OnX on how to import/export data. Basically in GE you'll mark your waypoints, make a folder in the places bar on GE then create an KML file to transfer directly to OnX. You may have to do this on your desktop to make it easier, not sure if the app still even allows this option or if its glitchy.

Video of Jay Scott demonstrating how he does it. Its 3 years old so some things may have changed.

Latest posts