Snake Boots v. Gaiters

bjohnson

TheLBLman":1zn7mlnh said:
What stores in TN actually have Crispi, Lowa, Kenetrek in stock for trying on?

None, that I know of carry Crispi. I emailed them about fit compared to Danners. They replied quickly and even set up my account for me. Very good CS. I ordered directly from them.

whitetailz

Be hard to figure any of the top brands have physical store presence in TN but you never know. Nothing around Jackson that's for sure. I'm sure their websites have a dealer locator though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

Not sure why I have zero fear of stepping on a venomous snake during turkey season... probably just ignorance, but have seen several timber rattlers and copperheads in TN where I hunt, and plenty of moccassins here in south MS. I have a bigger fear of setting up against a tree and putting my hand on one while getting gear out. Has anyone here ever been bitten during spring season? Know anyone who has been bitten during spring season?

That being said, I love lightweight rubber boots early in the morning till the dew gets off the grass (or all day long if it's raining). Dry feet are a must for me as much as I hike. I switch to short 6" hiking boots for midday and afternoon hunts and change socks. I use vasque with the vibram soles. Sure they are made in China, but they are decent boots that I usually can find on clearance for $60 or so (I usually buy 3 pairs at a time and just store the extra 2 pairs in the closet. They seem to stay waterproof with the gortex inner bootie for at least a couple years.

Ofc, I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to clothing :)

TheLBLman

megalomaniac":8a91ejwe said:
I have a bigger fear of setting up against a tree and putting my hand on one while getting gear out.
This is actually a very legitimate concern, including having a snake come out (and to you) which wasn't there when you initially sat.
I've had some close calls, while sitting, and/or nearly sitting on a rattler, but not yet bitten while just sitting.

A friend of mine actually "called up" a huge rattlesnake.
He had been sitting up against a big oak for over an hour, and we think the hen calls actually did call up the snake.
Would imagine quite a few baby turkeys are eaten by snakes.

megalomaniac":8a91ejwe said:
Has anyone here ever been bitten during spring season?
Not yet, but several close calls.
I have been struck once while squirrel hunting (late August),
and struck again while archery deer hunting (mid-October).

The first one was a good-sized copperhead, and it failed to get a fang in my leg, although it did hit my pants (right above the ankle), just missed my leg.

The second was a huge cottonmouth, and it would have nailed me badly had I not been wearing snake boots.

Interestingly, I know several people who have been bitten, but none personally while turkey hunting.
I seem to have more close encounters in late May, then again in September.

My grandfather was bitten by a big cottonmouth, and told he was going to die if he didn't allow them to amputate his leg. He told them he'd rather die then, but he lived, and eventually his leg was ok. He was fishing in some backwater of the Obion River when he was bitten (believe in July).

TheLBLman

Reminded my of another close encounter, although nothing to do with turkey hunting or snake boots . . . . . .

When I was about 20, I got in my "Reelfoot Lake" boat pre-dawn one summer morning and began heading across Buzzard Slough. I had no navigation lights, and actually left shore guiding myself with a handheld flashlight. I did and still do love topwater bass fishing at dawn.

The old "Lake" boats had a very low-profile wooden seat, actually about like one of today's "turkey loungers", so my butt was maybe 5 inches above the floor of the boat. It's just getting light enough to see, and I'm maybe a mile into the slough, when I notice this huge cottonmouth just crawling by, maybe 5 inches to my side, crawling parallel and beside my outstretched legs. His head was already beside my knee when I noticed him.

I just let him keep on crawling.
Once he was out of strike range, I cut the motor (it was a lawnmower motor),
then reached up with a paddle and finally got Mr. Moccasin tossed out of the boat.

Had some good times in my younger days on Reelfoot!

megalomaniac

I've seen quite a few snakebites in my life, all in the summer. Seen a ton of venomous snakes, mostly in archery season. I've picked up and moved several copperheads out of my back yard.

Only been struck at once- in the backyard after gathering eggs from chicken coop, walking through the yard, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a snake strike at me. I thought it was a copperhead at first, went and got a shovel and chopped his head off, and wondered why in the heck a copperhead took a false warning strike at me from 3 ft away.... after studying him after he was dead, I realized he was actually a juvie moccasin.

I've been bitten by nonvenoumous snakes a million times. When I was a teen/ early 20's, one of my favorite pasttimes during mid day turkey season was to walk the creeks and catch northern water snakes for fun while waiting for a bird to free gobble. Those jokers are fast and quite nimble. It's a challenge to grab one by the tail before it dives into the creek, fling it up on the bank, then jump on it and control the head without getting bitten.

woodsman04

muddyboots":36p6zg33 said:
I spray my snake boots periodically with that waterproofing spray. I never have wet feet

What brand or kind? I've used rustoleum brand I believe, and it did not work for me.

I've even sprayed Irish setter vapertek snake boots new out of the box before the material could get saturated with mud and debris. Still didn't work.

doubledownranch

TheLBLman":q57ln1g7 said:
Andy S.":q57ln1g7 said:
TheLBLman - you're in luck, they do offer it in an non-insulated version.

https://www.crispius.com/nevada-non-insulated-gtx

[youtube]btoAv3HaiWA[/youtube]
Thanks again, Andy!
Do like the looks of those, and they're remarkably similar to the non-insulated Alaskan Guide Mendl's they would be replacing.
Looks like I'm either going with an 8" or a 10" boot, as none of them are offering 9" now.

I've got the Crispi Nevadas. Worn them for two years. Did about 80 miles in them elk hunting in british columbia a year and a half ago. Best book I've ever put my foot in. Binks Lodge in Nashville is now a Crispi dealer if you ever get over that way. Buy once, cry once.

TheLBLman

doubledownranch":usgu571d said:
I've got the Crispi Nevadas. Worn them for two years. . . . . . Best book I've ever put my foot in.
Binks Lodge in Nashville is now a Crispi dealer if you ever get over that way.
Thanks, DoubleDown!

doubledownranch":usgu571d said:
Buy once, cry once.
Agree with the idea, but none of them last forever.
I've about worn out my 3rd pair of Meindl's which seem very similar to this particular Crispi.
But I wear them more often than every other day, year round.
3 to 5 years is my expectation.

muddyboots

woodsman04":xg3t9z19 said:
muddyboots":xg3t9z19 said:
I spray my snake boots periodically with that waterproofing spray. I never have wet feet

What brand or kind? I've used rustoleum brand I believe, and it did not work for me.

I've even sprayed Irish setter vapertek snake boots new out of the box before the material could get saturated with mud and debris. Still didn't work.

Attachments

• 5853E14D-EF9F-48F4-8591-72F63E48CD04.jpeg
    5853E14D-EF9F-48F4-8591-72F63E48CD04.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 1,355

Latest posts