Youth/Wife Rifle

timberghost35

Any suggestions on a good youth/wife rifle. Have 2 young girls and then a wife who likes to hunt. Don't wanna break the bank cause to be honest the wife may go 2-3 times and daughter prolly won't shoot but the Juvi hunts. Would like to keep it as a package with the scope/gun together.

Was looking at the Savage axis package or the Ruger American.

Also thinking about calibers. Instead of the usual .243, thinking of going 7mm-08.

jetwrnch

Savage Axis II with youth stock in 7mm-08. My wife likes hers. Shoots great. 7mm-08 is an excellent round they won't outgrow. I'd pick up a better scope though before you ever fire it. Also get the improved trigger spring. A good used scope is easy to find. I suggest a low power like 2-7.

Shikari75

When my youngest son was 10 I got him a youth model Savage 110 in .270. Cheap accurate rifle! I had intentions of replacing the stock with a full size stock but he still likes it in its original form and he's 32 now!

rifle02

I'm not sure if you can still get them but I was impressed with the Howa 1500 with youth stock, cut down barrel and available in those calibers.
I seem to remember it available as a package with scope.

batten_down

For my 10 year old boy, and small-framed wife, I've decided to build an AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I liked the low recoil, the lightweight, and the adjustability of the AR platform. The 6.5 Grendel is adequate and ammo is relatively inexpensive and available.

TboneD

I've got two Ruger American Predators, so not surprisingly I'm gonna recommend a nice and lightweight Ruger American Compact, and yeah, they make it in 7mm-08 Rem, although 6.5 Creedmoor would work as well.

squirrel_hunter

My wife was shooting a 22 250. I bought my boys a cva scout youth 243. I would look at the ruger. I am going to pick up one in a 308.

DaveTN

Unless you reload, I'd choose the .243 for ammo availability and recoil. The 7-08 will put the recoil close to the .308 range.

But here are a couple of 7-08's you might be interested in.

Wade195

I have the Ruger American Compact In 7mm-08. It's topped with a Leupold 2-7x33 Hunt-plex. Lightened the trigger a little.

It shoots way better than I could ever do.

Recoil is very manageable.

I also purchased a Ruger Ranch compact in 350 Legend with a Leupold 1.5-5 vx3i scope.

It's probably my favorite? Not sure why?

I think it's probably because ammo is so readily available?

In my opinion any of these would be more than capable.

Blessings.

Latest posts