Yet another post about having trouble zeroing a rifle

SwoleyGuacamole

Hello everyone,

I have googled my question with many different answers, but none seemingly being the right one.

I have contacted the Athlon and Leupold, in hopes for answers. Both saying to contact the other and giving answers that don't really help that much and without explanation.

So here I am:

I have an Athlon Argos BTR GEN2 6-24x50. It is mounted on a 0MOA base, that's attached to the action, with Leupold high rings.

I went to zero it a few weeks ago and started at 15 yards to ease my way back to 100. The problem I had was that I couldn't even hit paper at 15. After a bore sight I was able to work my way back to 100 but my dials are almost maxed out. What can I do to fix this, if any? Is it possible to mount a 20 MOA base on top of the 0 to fix it? I've seen this setup only once or twice and am not sure if it'd work. I've read about shimming the scope but I feel as it wouldn't be beneficial to do so given how much I had to adjust to find paper at 15 yds. I'd rather not waste money attempting something to fix it, like buying another base just to see if it works. I work and go to school full time with a family so easier the fix the better at this moment.

If you need any other information let me know. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 099D0380-97F8-4903-A356-653825F83641.jpeg
    099D0380-97F8-4903-A356-653825F83641.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 83

nso123

I am going to guess that you may have a zero stop on the scope that is set from the factory. This will limit the travel of your elevation turret. When you say you are running out of adjustment, are you not able to adjust the bullet impact down?

SwoleyGuacamole

You are correct, there is a zero stop. The scope is zeroed from factory and I had started with the elevation dial bottomed out. Where it sits now would be hitting paper at 100 yards with only, maybe, 2-3 MOA left to elevate.

Jcalder

That scope has 60moa of elevation change. 15 moa per rotation. I'd say even if you've made 2 full turns you still have plenty to work with. Myself, I'd ditch the high rings, or change brands, and possible add a 20 moa rail.

SwoleyGuacamole

That scope has 60moa of elevation change. 15 moa per rotation. I'd say even if you've made 2 full turns you still have plenty to work with. Myself, I'd ditch the high rings, or change brands, and possible add a 20 moa rail.
I have the highs to clear the bolt, which it's just enough room. With the 20 MOA base I'd imagine all I'd need is at most mediums if that

nso123

Have you reset the zero stop now that the rifle is zeroed? The zero stop is made to be adjusted after you get the rifle zeroed, but it may require you to loosen some adjustment screws on the knob. Check the scope instructions on setting the zero stop and this may help solve your problem. As for adding a base with elevation built in, you would replace the current base, not stack the bases. This would also move the objective of your scope closer to the barrel instead of creating extra room. Think of it like the 20 MOA base would tilt the scope forward.

SwoleyGuacamole

Have you reset the zero stop now that the rifle is zeroed? The zero stop is made to be adjusted after you get the rifle zeroed, but it may require you to loosen some adjustment screws on the knob. Check the scope instructions on setting the zero stop and this may help solve your problem. As for adding a base with elevation built in, you would replace the current base, not stack the bases. This would also move the objective of your scope closer to the barrel instead of creating extra room. Think of it like the 20 MOA base would tilt the scope forward.
I have reset the zero stop. Looking at the base attached to the action, the base is removable with a couple of screws if that brings any information to the table

nso123

Just to be clear, you only have around 8-12 clicks of elevation left? Looking at your turrets, it appears you may have a MIL setup instead of an MOA. If that's the case, you have quite a bit more elevation left than you think. At 100 yards one MOA is just over an inch, while a MIL is around 3.6 inches.

SwoleyGuacamole

Just to be clear, you only have around 8-12 clicks of elevation left? Looking at your turrets, it appears you may have a MIL setup instead of an MOA. If that's the case, you have quite a bit more elevation left than you think. At 100 yards one MOA is just over an inch, while a MIL is around 3.6 inches.
Yes. It's MIL. I'm sorry, I'm new to the long range game so I'm still learning

nso123

Yes. It's MIL. I'm sorry, I'm new to the long range game so I'm still learning
Then you very well have more elevation left than you think. I assume it is probably .10 MIL clicks, so have you counted how many clicks you have left going up? That scope will have about 30 inches in each direction at 100 yards not assuming any elevation that is used to get it zeroed. If you can tell us how many clicks you have left we can figure a little more out and hopefully figure out if there is an issue, or set your mind at ease.

SwoleyGuacamole

Then you very well have more elevation left than you think. I assume it is probably .10 MIL clicks, so have you counted how many clicks you have left going up? That scope will have about 30 inches in each direction at 100 yards not assuming any elevation that is used to get it zeroed. If you can tell us how many clicks you have left we can figure a little more out and hopefully figure out if there is an issue, or set your mind at ease.
1 MIL= 3.6"
1 Click= 1/10 MIL
Clicks remaining= 69 or 6.9 MIL
So… right around 24.84"-ish If my math isn't off?

SwoleyGuacamole

If you have 69 clicks remaining, you have plenty. Remember that the 24 inches left at 100 is 240 at 1000. As an example, a 6mm Creedmoor with a 103 ELD-X drops around 35 inches at 500. I hope this helps.
It does actually. Thanks for the help. As many people as I've went through and as many questions I've asked to people with more experience than I at rifle scopes, this is the first time someone has actually just double checked what I've done and help put it in perspective.

bloodtrailing

Scope looks a little complicated. What are you trying to accomplish with this gun? What are you planning to use it for is the reason I am asking. May help us with how to setup. What type and distance shooting are you doing?

Latest posts