Wounded deer

GRIT

Shot a really nice buck this morning gave him 2 1/2 hours before looking for him, I finally find blood and start tracking him he jumps a fence and goes into a thicket, I cross the fence and pick up blood trail start heading into the thicket following the blood and he jumps up about 40 yards from me so i backed out. Going to wait until dark and then turn a guy i know blood hound on him. What would you do

backyardtndeer

The way I read it he did back out after jumping him the first time. I think the deer jumped the fence right after the shot.
Guess I read wrong. I thought he waited 2.5 hours before starting and jumped the deer shortly after picking up the trail, then continued tracking and jumped the deer again.
I finally find blood and start tracking him he jumps a fence and goes into a thicket, I cross the fence and pick up blood trail start heading into the thicket following the blood and he jumps up about 40 yards from me so i backed out
Whatever the case, good luck finding him.

ROVERBOY

I probably would have backed out after the first time jumping him. When I wild go back would depend on what the blood looks like. Good luck.
Right, a lot of times if they are moving good, you can push them a long ways. Also, what the blood looks like. It can be bright red, frothy, dirty which indicates a gut shot. Gut shots are bad.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I was following a blood trail i come to a fence the deer jumped the fence so i crossed the fence to follow the blood trail i go in the thicket following the blood and jump him in the thicket so i backed out, I only jumped the buck one time.
I am with you now. Good call and I think you are making the right decision, but I also hate tracking after dark!

Latest posts