Wool vs. Contemporary

Blue Dogs

I am considering purchasing new deer gear. Bibs are shaggy and currently have wear load duck hunting clothes when the temp really drops. The reason I am considering wool is I was gifted a Wooltimate pullover a couple of years ago and I am more impressed with it than any other garment that I own even though it is lighter than I would like to get.

FULLDRAWXX75

wool is great, but........................
heavy when it gets wet, dry clean only(costly these days), everything sticks to it, storage in the off season(moths).

I have grown up in the northern woods of NY, most of our hunting is done in the cold season. I grow up in Woolrich wool hunting cloths, now after 35 yrs of hunting I don't have one piece of wool clothing that I wear in the woods. (with the exception of my socks)
I gradually switched over to newer/lighter/modern materials and actually find myself warmer with the layering set up I currently had put together.
Yesterday for example, temp 19 degs. & calm, I stood on watch (in the open woods) for 3.5 hrs before I started to get a chill.
Set-up: polypro base layer shirt, Cabela's med. weigh top and bottom, duofold upper (sleeve cut off/less bulk in arms), polar fleece pullover, Cabela's berber fleece w/wind shear liner pull over, topped with Cabela's Guide/outfitters blaze orange over shirt, light weight fleece pants under my arctic shield bibs. Muck boots with wool socks.

FDXX75

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
If you have not tried silk or a silk/ synthetic combo for a base it is worth considering. I hate wearing a lot of heavy bulky stuff. Wool i warm but heavy. Silk and fleece have always served me well.

AT Hiker

Poser said:
WestTn Huntin'man said:
If you have not tried silk or a silk/ synthetic combo for a base it is worth considering. I hate wearing a lot of heavy bulky stuff. Wool i warm but heavy. Silk and fleece have always served me well.

Have your tried Merino wool? My midweight Merino baselayers weigh 8 ounces.

I wore mine for 8 days straight in WY, almost no smell and kept me comfortable. Good stuff for sure.

Pic IN the Casa

I am in the process of switching to wool base layers. Figured at this point I would wait until after the season and look for good deals.

However, I have found out that with what I do have I can be comfortable in layers of wool and fleece.

Also, on a tip from a member I looked at Goodwill and lucked out on a couple of Woolrich sweaters for under $5. Great mid layer stuff.

Brisco Darlin

AT Hiker said:
REMEMBER!!!!!! Do not dry your wool in a dryer, or you will be trying to loose weight to fit into it again!
speaking of that if anyone knows a pygmy that wants a woolrich shirt , let me know. wife threw mine in the dryer. just disregard that the tag says XXL. :D