WMA Access question

Flyingty1

I can't find any info on the website about this topic. When I'm going to a WMA am I allowed to just park anywhere along the side of the road or do I have to park in the parking lots? Do people drive back in on the trails or hike in? Thanks for any advice.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I'm curious about this, too, but I suspect it depends on the WMA. Usually the guide either says "no vehicles" or there are gates, fences, or cables to stop you from driving somewhere you shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CheathamIceman

Flyingty1":jo5iwdzd said:
I can't find any info on the website about this topic. When I'm going to a WMA am I allowed to just park anywhere along the side of the road or do I have to park in the parking lots? Do people drive back in on the trails or hike in? Thanks for any advice.

On the CHeatham WMA you can park on the side of the road or wherever you can get access to your spot. A lot of it is foot traffic only now though.

mike243

Make sure you dont block any gates no mater of locked or not, if something were to happen and they need to get thru it may end up costing you, have seen a bunch of folks block them over the years

philsanchez76

In my experience as long as you don't block a gate like mentioned above or park on private property- then I park whenever I can to access the piece that I want to hunt. I've had a few TWRA agents check up on me when I'd 4 wheel drive in as deep as I could, but they were just making sure I wasn't doing donuts in the bean fields (dang teenagers)!

Flyingty1

Thanks guys, I was at Bridgestone and didn't see a sign saying we couldn't but they did have designated parking areas so it made me curious.

catman529

mike243":coah2o8y said:
Make sure you dont block any gates no mater of locked or not, if something were to happen and they need to get thru it may end up costing you, have seen a bunch of folks block them over the years
yep this, don't block the gates.

I park on side of road all the time. Depends where I'm going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

losthunter

I park on the side of the roads alot, our parking areas are small, never had an issue with it, game wardens always stop to talk when they come by and im at the truck. Good people.

Nsghunter

I would say you will do fine. I will cover a few basics.

Standard parking etiquette would be; don't block gates, roads, field access, or other hunter's vehicles (We have all seen it all), if you park on the side of main roads, take all four tires off the road and leave three feet to open your door, if you park on the side of a trail, field or whatever just make sure not to block a field or trail entry footpath (I've had guys park so close to the footpath you about had to climb over their truck to get past.) You can typically park on the side of the main roads and trails, I've never had a problem. WHile on public land watch for signs at the entrance to trails and roads or paths. The signs will say foot traffic only, or no motorized traffic, they are usually on the trees about 6-8 feet up and can be seen from the trail or road. Park out of the way of gates and park sensibly, you know, don't tear up heck getting in and most of the time this is acceptable. Every now and then, you might break a rule and the warden might say something but if you aren't a complete jerk he will probably give you a warning.

I recently was pulled over and after a few minutes of discussion, the office said to me "We aren't trying to get anyone in trouble. We just want o keep everyone safe and make sure they are doing the right thing." I believe most of the wardens and the area managers are nice guys.

It's always a safe bet to call the area manager and speak with them too. I have spoke with four area mangers this season already regarding access, preferences, recent changes and tips for how to hunt their specific area... They all answered my questions and were very nice.

I've met two wardens this year already, same story.

cousinjordo

All the area managers numbers are listed on the TWRA WMA site and those guys have always been very helpful to me with questions. I also park along the roads and even off the interstates in some areas without any issues.

As a side note, the new way they've organized the Hunting and Fishing guide for online use is very helpful. Thanks TWRA!

Latest posts