Wings

Ed B

brine, then dry and season, sous vide first for 1.5 hrs at 145, smoke for 30 mins then crank up to 400 for 15 mins.

Ed B

Hey Ed, do they take in the smoke well after SV? I'm smoking about 40 this weekend and 40 regular Buffalo . Never tried the SV.
They do a little bit but not a ton. I'd equate it more a healthier/less greasy frying option - marinade/seasoning come through great though.

When I previously smoked them for 2-3 hours then finished on high heat they had a tendency to dry out. The SV solves that problem entirely, they come out super juicy with a nice grilled exterior. Reading the previous reply about refrigerating between smoke and finish makes me think you could do that with SV as well. Plus you could fix them ahead of time and be able to have them done right on time for guests.

Specializedjon

I'm gettin huuuuungry

Chicken Wings Kevin GIF by Snowpiercer on TNT

TAFKAP

For you guys that like to brine over night, what are you using

For a big batch, I always calculate it out.

1.5% salt
1.0% brown sugar
tons of black pepper, at least 1 chopped clove of garlic per pound of meat
generous shake of garlic powder
light dab of crushed red pepper
2 large or 4 small bay leaves

The percentage values above are total weight of water to cover the meat, plus the weight of the meat. So, 1000 grams of meat will get covered usually by about 1,500g of water....total is 2,500g. So 1.5% salt is 37.5g, 1% brown sugar is 25g. Add the spices, bring water to boil, stir in salt & sugar, and let it all cool. Pour the cooled mixture over the wings and let it sit.

TboneD

Never have seen the need to brine wings but I can see how it could keep the "drummette" part moist. Only time I brine, wet or dry, is when cooking breast or split birds.

Like Mud Creek said, the Vortex in a Weber kettle is hard to beat for simple and fast if not smoking. Sometimes I miss my Weber kettles. As mentioned on the recent thighs thread though, best wings possible are going to be smoked on an offset smoker and then deep fried. And one of these days we're gonna do it!

encore06

I haven't fixed Wings in a while, but the last time I did, I boiled my wings for 15 minutes, let them cool, then pat dry and place in a flat pan in the oven @350 for approx 20 minutes. Once they cool, I tossed them in Franks Hot Sauce cut with butter. I like my wings crispy and this seems to work for me

Latest posts