Wings

Jcalder

Wife is wanting me to fix wings! I'm wanting wings! What I don't want to do is botch it. Planning on smoking them on the pit boss. So what's your preferred method and recipe

Jcalder

Didn't have time to brine. Patted them dry and threw some rub and baking powder on them. In the smoker.

Attachments

• 166C2A2A-2691-4309-A429-D1BF509A3DA7.jpeg
    166C2A2A-2691-4309-A429-D1BF509A3DA7.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 69

UCStandSitter

I'll definitely do a overnight brine or marinade next time.
Will change your life brother. Fair warning you will be asked to smoke em up more than you feel like. Also, invest in a good pair of chicken shears. Had to make 500 for a men's ministry function once. Ordered chicken shears halfway through cutting em up

jetwrnch

I smoke for a bit at around 250 then hit them in the oven at 400+ to crisp the skin. Depends on how much smoke flavor you want. You can smoke at 400 for about 20 minutes but you won't get a lot of smoke flavor. I don't season til they're done or close to it.

TAFKAP

Wife is wanting me to fix wings! I'm wanting wings! What I don't want to do is botch it. Planning on smoking them on the pit boss. So what's your preferred method and recipe

So I've modified the Alton Brown method that I first saw about 12 years ago. I like to buy whole wings from Costco, not only for price, but they're one of the few suppliers anymore that don't use a "solution of up to 15% salt and sugars" in their chicken. Separate the drummies from the flats at the joint, and remove the wing tips and save those for stock.

Lay the drummies and flats out as best you can, salt & pepper generously either side, and let rest for a day. This is a dry brine, and is important to the seasoning and tenderness of the meat. Feel free to use any other dry rubs you'd want to use, as well. Then, Alton Brown's method calls for a steaming process to help pre-cook the meat, but also to render out the fat under the skin. But I've adapted that into smoking my wings on a low flame, between 200° and 225°. SMOKE YOUR WING TIPS AS WELL. After that, they need to chill out either in the freezer for an hour, or in the fridge for a couple hours. This will dry the surface of the skin.

Once they're dried out, blast in a 450° oven for about 15 mins, then flip. 15 minutes more, and they will be done....crispy skin, tender meat.

For sauce, I'm a big fan of just ol' reliable Buffalo seasoning. Melt a quarter stick of butter in a pot, pour in your hot sauce, and whisk together. Toss the wings in a batch at a time to sauce. Another favorite is to use Walkerswood Caribbean Jerk seasoning.

Save the bones, and throw in a pot with your smoked wingtips, cover with water, and make chicken stock with all the smoked bones

TAFKAP

There's also a TikTok video my buddy just sent me where he got a mess of small stainless "S" hooks, and hooked the flats and hung them from the oven rack. That looks like a pretty slick method, but you need to make sure there's a big pan with soaked paper towels underneath to catch all the drippings

Mud Creek

I hate slimey or chewy wings which can happen sometimes at low 225 smoking temps.

I put wings in a zip lock then cover in Franks or Texas Pete for about 6 hours. If I'm using offset smoker then I want my temps around 3-400, but I prefer my Weber master touch with the removable center grate. I go with the vortex method or even just use the weber baskets full of coals, temps at 600+. Flip once, brush with some sauce if you like. Usually done pretty quick and come out juicy but with a nice crisp.

UCStandSitter

I mentioned above but gonna just place this here:

You try em this way, you'll never make em any other way again. Always trust a 400lb Mississippi boy when it comes to smoking things...

As an added bonus, try ANY of Malcolm's other recipes. I've made a ton over the last several years and haven't found one we didn't love.

Latest posts