Why not older than 3.5?

rtp

agree with you 100%. Maybe the mindset would have changed without the ARs. I just noticed how it went from the brown its down thinking to I'll let him walk and maybe he'll be bigger next year way of thinking after a few years the ARs went into effect.

TheLBLman

BSK said:
The interesting thing is, we're seeing the same change in mindset, yet without restrictive laws. In fact, as our buck limit has been liberalized the last couple of years, harvested buck age has increased. And this is all due to hunter choice/restraint, not regulation.
Yes, but, but what about the 9-point antler restriction on President's Island?
You saying the hunters would still be "seeing the same" if there were no antler restrictions there?

BSK

Wes Parrish said:
BSK said:
The interesting thing is, we're seeing the same change in mindset, yet without restrictive laws. In fact, as our buck limit has been liberalized the last couple of years, harvested buck age has increased. And this is all due to hunter choice/restraint, not regulation.
Yes, but, but what about the 9-point antler restriction on President's Island?
You saying the hunters would still be "seeing the same" if there were no antler restrictions there?

Good question Wes. I'll bet they would still be seeing top-end bucks at PI without the ANTLER RESTRICTION. I think the limit on NUMBER OF HUNTERS AND HUNTING DAYS is a biggey, as is hunter expectation. When you only get drawn for that hunt once or twice a decade, who wants to use that opportunity to shoot a small buck?

TheLBLman

BSK said:
When you only get drawn for that hunt once or twice a decade, who wants to use that opportunity to shoot a small buck?
I wouldn't.
Likewise, who would want to have a fully mature buck with a monster rack illegal just because he only grew 8 points? I mean, wouldn't most of today's hunters actually prefer a 150-class 8-pointer over a 150-class 10-pointer?

Seems to be an unnecessary restriction there, in view of all other aspects about this only one weekend a year hunt, that's already even farther limited by being archery only.

Could such an unnecessary restriction actually do more harm than good, both in terms of hunter satisfaction and in terms of herd health?

mathews338

Wes Parrish said:
BSK said:
When you only get drawn for that hunt once or twice a decade, who wants to use that opportunity to shoot a small buck?
I wouldn't.
Likewise, who would want to have a fully mature buck with a monster rack illegal just because he only grew 8 points? I mean, wouldn't most of today's hunters actually prefer a 150-class 8-pointer over a 150-class 10-pointer?

Seems to be an unnecessary restriction there, in view of all other aspects about this only one weekend a year hunt, that's already even farther limited by being archery only.

Could such an unnecessary restriction actually do more harm than good, both in terms of hunter satisfaction and in terms of herd health?
i wonder why they don't do something kinda like Ames Plantation does, let it be legal as long as it has 9pts or (4.5 yo or older). i'm sure that many hunters couldn't age them well enough but looks like they could think of something to try.

Latest posts