NOT worst pull ever

BSK

That size rack wouldn't be unprecedented for a 3 1/2 in my area. I'm adjacent to some HUGE bottomlands in soybeans and corn. First two pictures are of a 3 1/2 from a couple years ago. He scored right at 140. Third picture is a 3 1/2 I'm positive broke the 150 mark.

Attachments

• Buck2006k.jpg
    Buck2006k.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Buck2006j.jpg
    Buck2006j.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Buck2026f.jpg
    Buck2026f.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 177

XCR-2

Never knew they came through the woods with a birth certificate hanging on their neck. Blast that sob! 😂

BSK

Pfft 5yr olds in my area don't get racks like that.
As I've said many times, the range of scores for a single age-class on a single property will easily exceed 100 gross inches top to bottom. For every 3 1/2 like the ones pictured above, I'm going to have a 3 1/2 like the one pictured below. Except for his lame attempt at browtines, he's basically a forkhorn. He was a forkhorn at 2 1/2 as well, only smaller.

Attachments

• Buck2223f.jpg
    Buck2223f.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Ski

As I've said many times, the range of scores for a single age-class on a single property will easily exceed 100 gross inches top to bottom. For every 3 1/2 like the ones pictured above, I'm going to have a 3 1/2 like the one pictured below. Except for his lame attempt at browtines, he's basically a forkhorn. He was a forkhorn at 2 1/2 as well, only smaller.

Now that looks more like what I usually have to hunt lol! Most of the 3yr olds around here are good to bust 100". I can count on one hand all the bucks I've seen at any age that bust 120".

The rack frame shape on that deer is common here in TN it seems. About half of the bucks I see have that general shape. On my place up north I've never seen one like that.

BSK

Now that looks more like what I usually have to hunt lol! Most of the 3yr olds around here are good to bust 100". I can count on one hand all the bucks I've seen at any age that bust 120".

The rack frame shape on that deer is common here in TN it seems. About half of the bucks I see have that general shape. On my place up north I've never seen one like that.
The average 3 1/2 on my place, and most of my clients' properties in the area, grosses 105. But we'll see them from 40 to 150+.

JCDEERMAN

That's a great deer! I'm sure he's enjoying all that new forage you've provided. Interested if this is close to the outskirts (above the ag fields) or more towards the center of the property or lake side?

BSK

That's a great deer! I'm sure he's enjoying all that new forage you've provided. Interested if this is close to the outskirts (above the ag fields) or more towards the center of the property or lake side?
It's a big bachelor group of 6 different older bucks. They are coming up from the bottoms and bedding in the closest thick cover I have to the bottoms. Got them on cam 4 times in 5 days.

JCDEERMAN

It's a big bachelor group of 6 different older bucks. They are coming up from the bottoms and bedding in the closest thick cover I have to the bottoms. Got them on cam 4 times in 5 days.
That was my suspicion. Nonetheless, I hope at least 2, maybe 3 stick around this fall. That's awesome!

Ski

The average 3 1/2 on my place, and most of my clients' properties in the area, grosses 105. But we'll see them from 40 to 150+.

Dang that's a huge variance! Around here I'd guess 70"-100". I'm sure there are outliers but the bulk of them fall in that range. They really aren't terribly bigger than the 2yr olds. At 4 they are 110"-120". They don't seem to grow much more than that regardless of age. I've killed one 5yr old that I'd swear was smaller than he was at 4.

On the positive side the bodies are tiny so proportionately the low scoring racks still look impressive. I lived in southern NM for 11yrs and these local deer remind me A LOT of the coues deer out there. About the same size in every way. I see some other pictures of deer from other areas of TN and it makes me scratch my head. If you stuck a 150" rack on one of these local bucks it would look like an elk.