who would be interested in a 1 buck limit

megalomaniac

savageman":3il4g1ic said:
My dad would take me squirrel hunting when I was young. our goal was to kill squirrels.
That is how I deer hunt. I kill deer. I would as soon shoot a doe as a buck. A 4 point is as good as an 8 point for me. I think we would have a healthier deer herd in Tennessee if more hunters shot more deer. I would be happy to see a 3 buck limit. It would allow me to hunt more days here in unit C. (I shot a 4 pt and 5 pt during bow season)doe season ends early in unit C.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just cannot follow your logic/ line of thinking.

If you think TN has an unhealthy deer herd (which it doesn't), and shooting more deer will improve the health, you do realize that increasing the buck limit will not affect the population. Shooting does will.

Also, how would a higher buck limit allow you more days to hunt in unit C??? Your days hunting are only limited by what and when you choose to pull the trigger. If the limit was raised to 3 bucks a year and you shot one each day the first 3 days of the season, you would have an even shorter season than the one you had last year.

catman529

muddyboots":16k1goek said:
Very good point on the average size of mature buck. Most people that say they pass 120 inch bucks in reality are passing 90 inch bucks. A mature 120 inch buck in Tennessee is a fine animal. Ill be happy to kill 2 of them. I like the 2 buck limit. I think its a good compromise. It has really helped my lease changing from 3 to 2.
true about people misjudging the score of a deer. On the other han, I know a guy who passed a 140 multiple times last year, killed him this year well into the 150s. He hunts probably the best property you could have in this area. I am slightly jealous but when you got so many huge bucks running around, 120" is a small deer. I think some people who have places to hunt like this, get spoiled and caught up in the trophy mindset and then want everyone in the state to be limited to one buck so more bucks can grow older. Some people don't realize that there's more to deer hunting and deer hunters than just killing the big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
catman529":w0n1ri9u said:
No, never.

Here's just one of several good bucks I've seen on public land that gets hunted hard with the statewide 2 buck limit.

a76ca41b81259ba688a057d489a2ffd9.jpg

We do grow quality bucks. Not all hunters want to wait for a giant, some just enjoy killing a deer whether it's big or small. The limits should reflect herd health and hunter opportunity.

I've never heard anyone with good knowledge of deer biology support earn-a-buck. That's a quick way to kill too many does just so people can shoot a buck.

Catman,
I agree 100%
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Winchester

knightrider":3v3zyhtn said:
If there was a sound biological reason than sure, but since there isn't and I don't want a 1 buck limit than, nope not a fan of it
I agree, same as when we went from 3 to 2, absolutely NO sound biological reason to do so, BUT it happened anyway! Be prepared the 1 buck limit is coming to TN, maybe not in the next couple years but its DEFINITELY coming.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
We now have earn a buck in UNIT CWD, kill 2 does to submit for testing, earn a 3rd tag, kill 2 more does and submit for testing, earn a 4th. And replacement tags for any buck that tests positive for CWD until the season ends. This at least lends itself to not having a 1 buck limit on the horizon right now.

MickThompson

TNGunsmoke":ipa48ihy said:
We now have earn a buck in UNIT CWD, kill 2 does to submit for testing, earn a 3rd tag, kill 2 more does and submit for testing, earn a 4th. And replacement tags for any buck that tests positive for CWD until the season ends. This at least lends itself to not having a 1 buck limit on the horizon right now.

I don't think earn a buck passed- otherwise there would have been no velvet hunt down there as it was doe only

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
MickThompson":1ct443oy said:
TNGunsmoke":1ct443oy said:

I don't think earn a buck passed- otherwise there would have been no velvet hunt down there as it was doe only

Check it out. This is after the first 2 bucks.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/cwd/hun ... arn-a-buck

Planking

Sure seems going from three to two did help around here. Im a fan of a 1 buck after hunting it in some of the other states but im ok with 2.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
Why don't we just meet in the middle and make the limit 1 1/2? In all seriousness it was fine at 3, 2 I'm ok with but do not want 1 buck limit!

TheLBLman

Best observation on this entire thread:

TNGunsmoke":18p64958 said:
We now have earn a buck in UNIT CWD, kill 2 does to submit for testing, earn a 3rd tag, kill 2 more does and submit for testing, earn a 4th. And replacement tags for any buck that tests positive for CWD until the season ends.

This at least lends itself to not having a 1 buck limit on the horizon right now.
There simply is NO push (of any significance) for a 1-buck limit in TN!
Some are fear-mongering the idea, with such demonizing of it mainly coming from a small number of hunters who are actually pushing for a 3-buck (or higher) buck limit.

Never mind, the majority of the hunters really don't care whatever the buck limit might be,
and would be little effected whether than number is 1, 2, or 3.

My personal opinion is that our current 2-buck limit is the most beneficial number to the largest segment of hunters.

JCDEERMAN

TheLBLman":2bj14a2q said:
Best observation on this entire thread:

TNGunsmoke":2bj14a2q said:
We now have earn a buck in UNIT CWD, kill 2 does to submit for testing, earn a 3rd tag, kill 2 more does and submit for testing, earn a 4th. And replacement tags for any buck that tests positive for CWD until the season ends.

This at least lends itself to not having a 1 buck limit on the horizon right now.

My personal opinion is that our current 2-buck limit is the most beneficial number to the largest segment of hunters.

Agreed, LBL

UTGrad

I was open to a one buck limit in Tennessee until I took a buck during the velvet hunt last year and realized I would have been doe hunting till January.

I'm actually starting to lean back towards the 3 buck limit. I hunt both public and private land. On public land late in the season a spike might be my last chance at some venison for the year and on private land there are always a few bucks that are past their prime or have deformed racks that could be culled.

If there was a vote today between a 1,2 or 3 buck limit I'd probably vote for 3 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orion6

WTM":31c52169 said:
or possibly keep the 2 buck limit and adding earn a buck? maybe we could grow some quality bucks? of course this wouldnt apply to CWD zones.

2 is a good balance. We have better deer in this state than ever. Looking at Facebook this week we have some real hogs out there. I think 2 is just fine. Makes folks a bit more selective while allowing you to hunt a bigger part of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike243

wheres all the data to support a 1 buck limit? I haven't seen the numbers go thru the roof since they knocked a buck tag off. has the buck kill numbers dropped or went up? need data to support this,

Latest posts