Who says big mature deer are not good eating?

AT Hiker

Back in November I killed a old KY buck (4.5yrs+), big body and with that came big steaks! I aged the steaks in the fridge for 12 days then vacuumed seal them to enjoy throughout the year.

Tonight we had roasted garlic venison, pure awesomeness! It was clean and organic eating at its best.

First thing was to roast some garlic in olive oil. Then I rubbed a little EVOO, fresh crushed pepper and sage on the backstrap then crushed the roasted garlic and layered it between the meat.

Then I placed it on the grill, as luck would have it the propane ran out about 2 minutes into the cooking. Yea, yea I could have gotten some coals hot and went that route but with time a factor because of a hungry 17 month old little girl I was forced to oven roast it, no big deal.

When we are trying to take pictures of our little girl she doesn't want anything to do with the camera, but I was taking pictures of something besides her so she kept saying "cheeeeese". Notice her appetizer of veggie puffs mixed with raisins, whatever is all I say!

So off to the oven it went. I first got a cast iron skillet scorching hot with bacon grease and seared it on each side for 1.5 minutes. Then into a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes (5min under foil). Let it rest for about 15 minutes and it came out on the upper end of medium rare, I have discovered with aged venison you can get away with medium if you cook it a touch too long.

Some homemade roasted sweet potato fries and a local Chambourcin wine was a perfect pair to this delicious meat. I label this more as a fall type meal, but I had all the ingredients and no plan for dinner so I came up with this.

Fries are simple; microwave 2 potatoes for no more than 2 mins. Slice them in a potato slicer, toss in corn starch then toss with EVOO, salt/pepper. Roast at 350 for 15 minutes, turn and roast another 15 minutes. Open oven door and let them rest until your ready to eat.

catman529

looks good, myself I haven't noticed the older deer being any tougher except for the silver skin maybe. The meat is just as good.

Latest posts