Who Fletches Their Own Arrows???

CBU93

I need you guys that fletch your own arrows to help me out here. Need a list of the neccessities in order to do this myself. I am a total rookie at bow tuning, fletching, etc. but I want to learn to do more of this on my own. Any suggestions, lists, reccommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Starting with fletching my own arrows...

rldel

well you know I'd have to be different. I use a funny litte jig from Cabellas that lets me do right, straight, offset and left - three vanes at a time.

truth is I have it set for a slight offset and never change it but what the hey.. I do one at a time.

Vanes... I used duravanes because they were soft and would bend without taking a set (better than some brands) but if they stay bent out of shape for long period (like in a bow case in heat) they tend to take a set anyway.

when I moved to carbon shafts I switched to Blazer (2"). I get MTO carbons from Lancaster because their precision in a dozen is about +- 1.5 grains. I can't get them that close when I repair/refletch one.

carbons also take a Apple high-speed saw (which I don't have - another reason I MTO and repair only since going to Easton axis.

glue - fletchtite I think it is.

JayMc

I use a bitz for most of my arrows, but like rldel I've found that the Arizona EZ Fletch works well on the small arrows like Axis.

Good glue like Goat Tuff makes a difference too.

Biggest tip somebody gave me was to take my time so I'll pass that along.

I really enjoy fletching my own. My wife calls it arts and crafts for men :D

buckdead

dont they make the flethings that slide right on your arrow? Havent bow hunted in a couple years, but i think i seen a advertisment on TV you just slide it on and put it in hot water or something. looked fool proof. :)

onebuck

I also enjoy fletching my own. Here's a couple of pics of my rig. It's a Jo-Jan multifletcher I mounted on a portable cabinet I built for it.

It's as accurate as most of the more expensive jigs out there and very easy to use when set up properly. It's also much cheaper. I use 4" feathers applied with Fletch-Tite Platinum. Never had one come off!

fletcher001.jpg

fletcher002.jpg

CBU93

For those who may need the info, I shoot Carbon Express (some kind of weave) 300 series arrows, with feathers, not vanes thru a Whisker Biscuit...if that makes much difference...

Radar

I use a Bitzenburger jig with a RH helical clamp , right wing 4" feathers ,wraps,and Super Glue gel for adhesive . I cut my own shafts with a Cabela's high speed cut off saw , and use slow drying epoxy for the inserts . This allows me to spin test each arrow with a broadhead before the glue sets .
Here is the last dozen I did . I got a few bloody this year .
DSCF1327.jpg

Crow Terminator

A Bitz jig is a good place to start but I've found that the Bohning archery company puts out a Bitz imitation jig that works just as good. And you can buy 2 of them for the price of one Bitz. Most people fletch feathers with a right wing helical.

Most people I know that shoot vanes will use a straight clamp to fletch with...especially those Blazers and smaller "broadhead" vanes. Bohning also came out with a new jig this year for fletching the Blazers. I may look into one of those to add to my collection.

But getting back to your inquiry. You'll need good glue...the market is full of them. I use FletchTite Platinum. You'll need some extra fine grit sandpaper for roughing the finish up on the end you are fletching. You'll need some rubbing alcohol to clean the shafts with after light sanding. Some people don't do that procedure but I sure do.

Oh and if you are refletching...you'll need a good scraping tool. I simply use an old 4" fish fillet knife.

You'll want to match the fletch to your arrows..making sure the fletch will make good contact with no gaps. Get as much offset out of it that you can get away with.

pass-thru

CBU93 said:
I need you guys that fletch your own arrows to help me out here. Need a list of the neccessities in order to do this myself. I am a total rookie at bow tuning, fletching, etc. but I want to learn to do more of this on my own. Any suggestions, lists, reccommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Starting with fletching my own arrows...

I was just coming on to ask this exact question! I got at least a dozen arrows that need refletching so it's time to take the plunge. What do you do to clean the residual glue etc from the old fletching off the arrow? Also, do homefletched arrows hold up to the whiskerbiscuit?

TNDOC

I fletched my own for years, but I have been away from bow hunting since I began college-med school. I am wanting to start building again and have all my stuff. My question is what is the name of the solution that coats the arrow? I never crested my arrows but I used to use a product I dipped the arrows in and hung them to dry. This made a surface for the glue on an aluminum shaft. I can't for the life of me remember what the stuff was and haven't been able to find it. The glue they make now may be better. Do you still have to prep the shafts? If so do those wipes work? Things have changed so much in 9 years.

Latest posts